Brexit, for once some facts.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I seem to remember someone who said she didn't want to reveal her hand too early?
Perhaps they will get better at it?
Please???

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Just had a Telegraph news app alert on my phone. Theresa May states she is prepared to go to war to protect Sovereignty of Gibraltar.

Is this a joke?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not quite as bad as it appeared on the news app on my watch. Just had chance to look a bit closer at what has actually been said and it's not May saying it. It was Michael Howard.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/02/theresa-may-would-go-war-defend-sovereignty-gibraltar-says-michael/amp/

This still isn't useful language to be using. Howard needs to keep his gob shut.
I first heard similar from a news correspondent, then it was repeated by Sir Michael Fallon and then finally by Michael Howard

On the way it gradually escalated from "pledge to protect" all the way to "go to war". So rather like the Iraq false weapons of mass destruction story, Chinese wispers, the story being changed and added to on the way.

All we need now is it to be completed by someone saying the use of nuclear weapons isn't off the table.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and tillson

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Not quite as bad as it appeared on the news app on my watch. Just had chance to look a bit closer at what has actually been said and it's not May saying it. It was Michael Howard.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/02/theresa-may-would-go-war-defend-sovereignty-gibraltar-says-michael/amp/

This still isn't useful language to be using. Howard needs to keep his gob shut.
I don't believe that Spain has the capacity within the EU parliament to veto a brexit deal. The qualified majority rule would apply. What it would have the capacity and competence to do is to lock the gate and stop any commerce or traffic into Spain.The uk failed to include Gibs status as a key discussion point, as it fortunately did for ireland. . I do not know where Gibraltar gets its water supply from, but if it comes from mainland Spain, then the UK might find it expensive to ferry it out from England indefinitely.

• Informative
Reactions: robdon and tillson

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I don't believe that Spain has the capacity within the EU parliament to veto a brexit deal. The qualified majority rule would apply. What it would have the capacity and competence to do is to lock the gate and stop any commerce or traffic into Spain.The uk failed to include Gibs status as a key discussion point, as it fortunately did for ireland. . I do not know where Gibraltar gets its water supply from, but if it comes from mainland Spain, then the UK might find it expensive to ferry it out from England indefinitely.
They could install reverse osmosis plants to convert seawater of course.

• Agree
  • :D
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
They could install reverse osmosis plants to convert seawater of course.

.. it seems that the discussion on water would be a red herring... Spain always vetoed a water supply and desalination is the way they get their potable water. Road washing and sanitation uses sea water.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
We lost the Americas by trying to wage war at distance. We lost Hong Kong without a fight even though the vast majority of its citizens wanted to remain under British Colonial rule rather than be governed by the Chinese. We simply bottled that one!

We claim to have won the Falklands war at distance but at huge cost even though most British citizens couldn't identify the islands on a map.....all for no good reason other than a demonstration of British imperialism in its death thoes which just happened to get Thatcher's 'greed is good' government another term in office.

The Irish beat us and got their own way back in 1922 and now some idiot tory thinks we should be prepared to wage war over Gibraltar. Why should we do that? Would we do it if China or Russia invaded Spain and declared Gib was theirs too? I think not.

We have a history of bullying small countries - Iceland is a good example - and if that is the way the British government intends to behave towards other countries, we may find ourselves in a situation where we have bitten off more than we can chew.

We're not even out of the EU yet and the threats from the tory government towards our EU partners seem to be increasing with each day that passes.
Of course, our government ignored the 'remain' vote from the Gibraltarians, as they did with that of the Scots and of the Northern Irish but seem prepared now to go to war over an issue that they themselves created, under the pretence that they are responding to the will of the people.

I don't suppose then that they will want the Scots and Irish regiments to participate in another imperial war of their making?

The situation becomes more dire by the day.

Tom

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Sun, things are going from bad to worse for anyone who voted to control our borders
"
MIGRATION BETRAYAL
Britain’s border could still be open to EU migrants even after the next ELECTION, Defence Secretary Michael Fallon hints

He refused to deny that EU rules on freedom of movement could still apply in the UK after 2020
The Defence Secretary refused seven times to rule out the prospect of EU rules on freedom of movement still applying to the UK in 2020 – a year after Brexit takes effect.
It triggered warnings from Tory MPs that fighting the General Election before freedom of movement has ended would be unthinkable.

Sir Michael insisted certain sectors will need “implementation periods” after we leave the EU in March 2019, and that he would do “everything we can to avoid a cliff-edge”.

And he refused to give a date on when freedom of movement could officially end.
Brexit means Brexit.......................eventually.................maybe....perhaps?
Will of the people? it's like the Pirates Code.
More of a Guideline really....................:D
I shouldn't laugh, really I shouldn't, it's just that everyone knows the Tory Politicians invariably lie, yet large numbers of the public fall for it every time.
As we say in Yorshire to people as easily conned as that

"If yer Brains were Dynamite, they wouldn't blow yer 'at off!":rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Express this morning
"
BREXIT TRADE MISSION: PM May to lead business blitz to build new ties across the world
THERESA May will today lead a fresh new global trade blitz by ministers to build new business links overseas as the country prepares for Brexit.
And where are they going?

Where they can do most harm of course
"
The Prime Minister flies out to the Middle East early this morning for high-profile visits to Jordan and Saudi Arabia that will focus on military cooperation and new commercial links.

Chancellor Philip Hammond and International Trade Secretary Liam Fox are also jetting abroad in the Government push to fly the flag for UK firms.

More weapons of war to destroy human lives for profit, is our fate to be a nation of Gun Runners to state with an appalling Human Rights record?

And here's another odd thing
"Meanwhile, Chancellor Philip Hammond is heading to India in a "heavyweight delegation" that also includes Bank of England governor Mark Carney.

Why are they doing this when india has insisted of free movement of people before any trade deals?
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/editorials/india-trade-deal-boris-johnson-theresa-
may-brexit-freedom-of-movement-a7534121.html
Another Brexit lie revealed

Is there anything at all left of Brexit that "The will of the people" voted for?
They've been betrayed, haven't they?

Last edited:
  • Agree

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Here is the latest guideline fact sheet - EU Parliament only has to approve by a simple majority vote - including UK Mep's:

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-17-648_en.htm

• Informative
Reactions: oldtom and robdon

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
The web blogger, AAV, has this to say today and it is a worthy question he poses:

'Theresa May lies through her teeth about wanting to help the "just about managing" while her government attacks those very people, pushing quarter of a million kids into poverty.'

How are the Tories so far ahead in the polls?

-People are so gullible they actually believe her lies?

-People believe forcing British kids into poverty is a good policy?

-People don't care about what's actually going on and just believe what the mainstream media tell them to believe?

What do you think?'

Tom

Last edited:
  • Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think the tories are ahead because the majority of the electorate agrees that nobody else among the Westminster elite will take us out of the EU better than Mrs May.
The problem for you, oldtom and OG, is that you cannot get your head around the fact that half the country still wants out.

I think the tories are ahead because the majority of the electorate agrees that nobody else among the Westminster elite will take us out of the EU better than Mrs May.
The problem for you, oldtom and OG, is that you cannot get your head around the fact that half the country still wants out.
and you STILL can't get your head around the fact it isn't half the country.

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_large/public/thumbnails/image/2016/11/05/11/brexit-chart.jpg

it's just over 1/4

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The problem with your statement is that 68% of the country didn't vote for brexit, care to try another lie?

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
and you STILL can't get your head around the fact it isn't half the country.
and you know exactly which half I meant, the special group of referendum voters.
People now realize that there is a cost to brexit and the £350 million a week for the NHS is not coming for many years if at all. How may have changed their mind?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The problem with your statement is that 68% of the country didn't vote for brexit, care to try another lie?

.. calling Woosh a liar was uncalled for and should be apologised. He had merely repeated the fact not factoid, that the majority of people who voted 8 months ago did vote to leave. A wafer thin majority to be sure , but a majority

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
73% of the country don't want out or have no interest in voting to leave.

That is a clear very large majority opposed to leaving, since taking no action is opting for the status quo, i.e. membership continuing.

That was the true referendum result

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Flecc, OG, oldtom, KTM are all fighting the last battle instead of concentrating on the next battle, which party will be at the helm.
The tories are the only party where the majority of its membership wants to leave. If you want so much to stay, then fight the tories.
Put yourselves up for election next time.

PS: and also tell Mr Corbyn to go.

Advertisers