Brexit, for once some facts.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I could easily answer that question by saying it is none of your business 'tillson' but as it seems to interest you and I have nothing to hide, I will tell you the truth: I have no other ID on this forum and do not post under any other avatar, if that's the right word for it.

There are others who post here about whom I have serious doubts but it really doesn't bother me if a stupid person chooses to post garbage under two or more different user names.

Were it someone else asking me, I'd ignore it but for you, I'm happy to respond as I know you are simply misguided and not stupid. I'm sure you will believe me.

Tom
I'll take you at your word thank you. We may have vastly different views on the world, but you come across as an honest person.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Of course we are tillson,this is simply the cut and thrust of debate, sometimes it gets a little forthright, but we are both men with considerable experience of the world are we not?
And neither of you is simply an internet troll, both being long-term electrically-assisted bicycle enthusiasts and contributors to this forum.

'There's an old saying Dave - look after your broom!'

Another one is, 'Once a troll....'

Tom

Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But that's plain barmy flecc. Either they are in EU and get help and regulation or they aren't and they get neither.
They had help from the beginning, but abused it. For example Greece, finding it could borrow money to assist their growth went ahead with huge borrowings and spent all of it on far more arms than they needed. That included four of the latest submarines which defence experts agree Greece has no possible use for. And worse still is Greece's failure to collect taxes, especially from their rich.

Also as I've already spelt out earlier but you ignore, Greece is actually very wealthy, they own the world's largest merchant shipping fleet. Their earnings from shipping amounted to €35.4 billion in 2014, while between 2000 and 2010 Greek shipping contributed a total of €280 billion (almost the country's public debt in 2014 and 4.5 times the receipts from the European Union in the period 2000-2013). If they bothered to tax their rich, they wouldn't be in trouble, since they are a tiny country with only one sixth of our UK population. So with those shipping incomes they could all be wealthier than us on average.

There are parallels in the other southern countries, for example the well known Spanish building investment spree on borrowed money, ending up with a huge surplus of empty properties and vast numbers of unfinished ones.

And of course in all the southern EU counties, corruption is rife in politics and business. You ask when the EU will eliminate corruption, but that's not within the EU's power. Member countries are autonomous and have all the power in such matters. On the one hand you accuse the EU of excessive power and interference, while on the other hand asking for more. Please, sort yourself out.

Those southern countries could have become rich within the EU, and here's the proof. Hungary is another small country with a similar population to Greece. Before they joined the EU they were very poor with serious international debts, but now they are transformed by their own efforts and the same EU help that Greece received. Hungary now has a large surplus of trade and a far healthier welfare state than ours. To show how much richer they are becoming, in just the last five years their wealth has grown at almost four times the rate of inflation over the same period. And that's not just the country but the individual workers wages there.

And that was under the same EU and the same conditions of the southern countries. The difference is solely the stupid and corrupt behaviours of the southerners and the commonsense of the Hungarians. Similar can be said about the growth of Poland and the Czech Republic.

So before you yet again say what I've posted is barmy, please acquaint yourself with the facts and stop repeating anti-EU fantasies, blaming the EU for things it has no power over.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The USA has not introduced another layer of government, superimposed on top of its original..They have had almost same structure since 1777...
And it's a shambles with widespread appalling levels of extreme poverty and hopelessness, highlighted by Donald Trump in his campaign. They are no example to hold up against the EU.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
No, only Tom's offerings OG. They make yours seem sensible...
But I,m out of here for a while. Got a business to get going in Tortola,BVI. Yachts and diving, unbelievable scenery, lots of sun and wind...and folk with lots of money in their pockets...and no EU stupid legislation. Wouldn't suit OG and Tom tho, folk are happy there.
Well the ones in the money are, and who cares for the others in places like that?

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Is this really in the Telegraph this morning?
Revealed: How the Cabinet plotted to exploit EU’s fear of Vladimir Putin during Brexit talks
Cabinet ministers secretly agreed that Britain should use its security dominance during Brexit talks after identifying EU fears over Vladimir Putin, The Telegraph can reveal.

Senior Tories said there was “panic” from EU leaders about the impact the UK’s exit would have on security in the face of "increased Russian aggression".

Leaked minutes of a Brexit cabinet committee meeting on March 7 show ministers identified the UK’s “very strong hand” on defence as a key advantage in negotiations.

Those present said security would be a “defining” issue for the EU and that Britain should not “underplay” its hand as it seeks to secure a favourable free trade deal.

Michael Fallon, David Davis, Philip Hammond and Boris Johnson are all understood to have spoken up about the importance of British security to the EU ahead of talks.
The revelations undermine attempts by ministers to play down a furious row that erupted this week after the UK Government appeared to link security cooperation to a trade deal.

Theresa May faced allegations of “blackmail” and “threats” by EU figures after her Article 50 Brexit letter mentioned security 11 times across six pages..

And these are the Idiots who will negotiate on our behalf?
They have had to resort to lying to cover their tracks!
What a fate for the 48% to be dragged into!

• Agree

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I

Michael Fallon, David Davis, Philip Hammond and Boris Johnson
What a fate for +84% to be dragged into! ( corrected your mistake)

Reactions: robdon and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
the joys of a Tory Government
"
Spending freeze to cut extra £4bn from benefits as raft of new benefit cuts kick in
The figures come as Theresa May puts into force a raft of new austerity measures this week, hitting thousands of the most disadvantaged people across the country, including parents, widows, the disabled and young people
Only a small beginning, much worse to come of course, wait until all the EU laws are eliminated, what fun the Government will have!

• Agree

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Is this really in the Telegraph this morning?
Revealed: How the Cabinet plotted to exploit EU’s fear of Vladimir Putin during Brexit talks
Cabinet ministers secretly agreed that Britain should use its security dominance during Brexit talks after identifying EU fears over Vladimir Putin, The Telegraph can reveal.

Senior Tories said there was “panic” from EU leaders about the impact the UK’s exit would have on security in the face of "increased Russian aggression".

Leaked minutes of a Brexit cabinet committee meeting on March 7 show ministers identified the UK’s “very strong hand” on defence as a key advantage in negotiations.

Those present said security would be a “defining” issue for the EU and that Britain should not “underplay” its hand as it seeks to secure a favourable free trade deal.

Michael Fallon, David Davis, Philip Hammond and Boris Johnson are all understood to have spoken up about the importance of British security to the EU ahead of talks.
The revelations undermine attempts by ministers to play down a furious row that erupted this week after the UK Government appeared to link security cooperation to a trade deal.

Theresa May faced allegations of “blackmail” and “threats” by EU figures after her Article 50 Brexit letter mentioned security 11 times across six pages..

Week one, day one, lesson one, Item one of the Negotiation Stratergies for Dummies course:

Do not go in with all guns blazing and start making threats.

Oh dear.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Week one, day one, lesson one, Item one of the Negotiation Stratergies for Dummies course:

Do not go in with all guns blazing and start making threats.

Oh dear.
I seem to remember someone who said she didn't want to reveal her hand too early?
Perhaps they will get better at it?
Please???

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Perhaps they will get better at it?
I hope they do.
hope for the best prepare for the worst. In a perverse way, remainers should perhaps hope for no deal as it would diminish the tory's vote in time for the next general election. The next government would then negotiate a deal that is not based on tory's obsessions.

Well I've just completed my normal sunday morning of a ride and then a trip to Morrisons for a weekly shop whilst its still quiet.

EVERYTHING had gone up, literally everything we put in our trolley had gone up by 10-25%. I knew yesterday was supposed to be "price hike day" on all our bills, but I have to say the price of the shopping shocked me, and I've been expecting it because I know the pressures the retail supply chain is under.

Looking forward to Monday when all the local employers round here increase everyones wages to match this... oh no wait :(

Advertisers