Brexit, for once some facts.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Folk can adopt false ID,s, alter their style if writing and even change their political views but changing ones nature is almost impossible, especially pedantic types. The person involved knows who this is meant for !!
I'm intrigued. Giz a clue?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
.It is very easy to construct scenarios where every piece of real estate , every slight, every insult gets magnified
that is precisely how the EU treats the line about security cooperation. It's OK for the EU to show teeth, but it's not for the UK.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
When a person posts an opinion which is out of kilter with your own, is it possible for you to respond without:

Insult?

An insinuation that they are of low intelligence?

Suggesting that their personality is distorted?

Any other derogatory statement?
Is it not the duty of those with knowledge and intelligence to attempt to educate those not so blessed?.........in a kind of, 'am I not my brother's keeper?' sense.:rolleyes:

Tom

• Dislike
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and Zlatan

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
that is precisely how the EU treats the line about security cooperation. It's OK for the EU to show teeth, but it's not for the UK.
... Woosh, you are missing my point, Every country has gripes with its neighbours, Nationalist tendencies will exacerbate these. The decision of the EU that it will negotiate on behalf of the 27 will have the effect of dampening them down for the duration of the negotiations. If the UK fails to produce an acceptable negotiated settlement, by the due date, it will be reduced and subjected to the individual demands of the 27 states. I don't want that to happen least of all because of the damage it will inflict on Ireland.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it seems to me that the EU takes UK brexit as an easy target, ripe for picking. There is a slang expression in French, the verb 'cartonner', that sort of sums up the situation.

Origine

Tout vient à l'origine de ce carton qu'on trouve dans un stand de tir ou dans une fête foraine et qui sert de cible.
Le premier sens proposé, qui coule de source, date du début du XXe siècle.

C'est un peu plus tard, au milieu du même siècle, que, de la cible inerte en carton, on passe à la cible humaine constituée d'une ou de plusieurs personnes sur lesquelles on "s'amuse" à tirer avec autant de facilité que sur le carton immobile (le premier exemple proposé montre bien comment le sens initial a pu s'étendre).

Enfin, il faut attendre 1980 pour voir apparaître le dernier sens qui est une métaphore qui s'explique aisément.
Tirer sur une cible ou sur quelqu'un n'a d'intérêt que si la cible est atteinte ou, autrement dit et dans le cas du carton, lorsqu'on marque un maximum de points.
Et plus on en marque, plus on a des chances de gagner dans le cas d'un concours, donc de rencontrer un succès qu'on espère le plus écrasant possible.

Le verbe 'cartonner' n'est qu'une forme dérivée de notre expression qui s'utilise avec les deux sens indiqués.
Mais, il a aussi voulu dire "jouer aux cartes", comme "taper le carton".

On peut noter qu'en argot, ces expressions ont aussi le sens de "posséder sexuellement" ou, dans le sport automobile, de "avoir un accident". Dans les deux cas, on peut considérer qu'une 'cible' est atteinte, que ce soit la femme ou le mur, le fossé ou une autre voiture.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I agree on that point. It was a silly thing to do and totally unnecessary. Security and citizens safety is not a bargaining chip.The UK needs to maintain a cordial persona at all times. The EU will then be exposed for what it is.
There are 5 sentences there and I agree with the first four. I don't understand the fifth as intelligent people know that the EU is a forward-looking organisation dedicated to the improvement of all peoples within the European continent.

Tom

• Disagree
  • Agree

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
it seems to me that the EU takes UK brexit as an easy target, ripe for picking. There is a slang expression in French, the verb 'cartonner', that sort of sums up the situation.
I'm afraid my French is pretty poor and my online translator isn't a lot of help in this instance but your additional piece in French doesn't make a lot of sense to me, coming out like this:

'Everything comes to the origin of this board found in a shooting range or at a fairground and is the target.
The first proposed direction that flows, dates from the early twentieth century.

It's a little later in the middle of the century, that of the inert cardboard target, we go to the human target consists of one or more persons on which "fun" to shoot with as many ease on the stationary box (the first example given shows how the original meaning has been extended).

Finally, we need until 1980 to appear on the last meaning a metaphor that is easily explained.
Shooting a target or someone has interest only if the target is reached or, in other words, and in the case of cardboard, when brand maximum points.
And the more you make, the greater the chances of winning in the case of a contest, thus meeting a success we hope as overwhelming as possible.

The verb ' cartoning is only a derivative form of our expression is used with the two directions indicated.
But it also meant "playing cards" as "type cardboard."

It may be noted that in slang, these terms also mean "sexually possess" or, in motor racing, of "an accident". In both cases, we can consider that the target is reached, either the woman or the wall, ditch or another car.'

I do like the French people though, possibly because I am of French and Irish lineage.

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Is it not the duty of those with knowledge and intelligence to attempt to educate those not so blessed?.........in a kind of, 'am I not my brother's keeper?' sense.:rolleyes:

Tom
The problems begin when people appoint themselves as being the ones with knowledge and intelligence.

For example, a person may master the art of cut & paste and simply regurgitate the thoughts and opinions of others.This could give a false impression that the poster is knowledgeable. But in reality they are totally devoid and incapable of any original thought process of their own, relying entirely on the words of others. Said person may even sincerely believe that the plagiarised material is actually their own, thus instilling an entirely synthetic self perception of intelligence.

:)

• Agree
  • Dislike

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
ou say that the UK is holding back EU progress. Progress towards what? What is the ultimate aim and do we really want to be there?
A United States of Europe, and whether you want it or not, it is inevitable, so suck it up, get over it, you lost, did I miss and of the standard taunts used by Brexit fans in that list?
Why would anyone in their right mind not want that?
and just to remind you we were a "basket case economy" which is why we joined the EU, and with these clowns in charge, we are heading back to the point where we started again, but this time we have made ourselves look like a bunch of nutters in the process, and are unlikely to be welcomed back with being fitted with a muzzle first.

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and robdon

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
User of the identity @oldtom , there have been several hints dropped that you may be posting under at least two different identities, oldtom and a minimum of one other.

You portray yourself as a person of knowledge, wisdom and integrity. So I am sure that you will have no difficulty in answering this direct question

Do you post on this Pedelecs forum under any other user name apart from oldtom?

Last edited:
  • Dislike

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I do like the French people though, possibly because I am of French and Irish lineage.

Tom
Let me translate it.

"The origin of the word 'carton' and the verb 'cartonner' could be found at the fairground since the beginning of the 20th century, taken to mean an easy practice target and to shoot at it.
A little later, toward the middle of the 20th century, the word is also used to designate a human target, one or more persons, that are used as shooting target for fun, especially when they are not moving (this example explains how the meaning of the word 'carton' could have been extended, a piece of cardboard used for target practice).
A slang word, meaning to rape or in car racing sports, to hit another car. In both cases, the importance is the target that is easily hit, whether a woman or a competitor's car."

You may have noticed the difference in the sense of humour, if you say to a Frenchman, le brexit? C'est un carton, ça! you'd get a cheap laugh. In French, it could be implied or understood that brexit is a 'carton' because the British are idiotic, making themselves into sitting ducks and deserve to be raped. Something that makes you laugh in one language, when translated into another, does not have the same effect. And that is between two of the most intertwined European languages. How the EU can become a single country, that I don't know.

Last edited:
  • Dislike

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
A United States of Europe, and whether you want it or not, it is inevitable, so suck it up, get over it, you lost, did I miss and of the standard taunts used by Brexit fans in that list?
Why would anyone in their right mind not want that?
and just to remind you we were a "basket case economy" which is why we joined the EU, and with these clowns in charge, we are heading back to the point where we started again, but this time we have made ourselves look like a bunch of nutters in the process, and are unlikely to be welcomed back with being fitted with a muzzle first.
Because it won't work. It can't work, too many people don't want it.

• Dislike

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
When a person posts an opinion which is out of kilter with your own, is it possible for you to respond without:

Insult?

An insinuation that they are of low intelligence?

Suggesting that their personality is distorted?

Any other derogatory statement?

When someone has an opinion which is different to yours, that is all that it means. Their opinion is different to yours.
Try reading my post, no one was attacked just the attitude that people like you subscribe to, which is fair enough, when you make a post that is clearly completely wrong, it needs to be pointed out, and when the reason for the error is so obviously not bothering to check propaganda for truth it is correct to describe that as lazy.
What else can it be called? Malice? I chose the kinder option.
Being accurate is not being derogatory, simply truthful, I recommend you try it rather than pathetic make attempts to do the very thing you are complaining about.
It seems you don't understand how "Fair Comment" operates, unless you make it.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Folk can adopt false ID,s, alter their style if writing and even change their political views but changing ones nature is almost impossible, especially pedantic types. The person involved knows who this is meant for !!
would you care to explain what you are going on about?
Is this a confession of some sort? kindly explain.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I agree on that point. It was a silly thing to do and totally unnecessary. Security and citizens safety is not a bargaining chip.The UK needs to maintain a cordial persona at all times. The EU will then be exposed for what it is.
And what is it about the EU that will be exposed?

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Doesn't the whole shambles of negotiations indicate a massive flaw in EU anyway. When I worked in government we couldn't get 3 people to agree on something..Getting 27 to do is impossible. The whole EU system simply does not work..
A great example is certification within RYA now it has to follow EU regs. Just look into their structure for ICC ( Iternational Cert of Competence)
Honestly , its a nightmare . Really it makes hundreds of peoples jobs harder, makes nothing any safer..Its ludicrous in its complexity,I don't think anyone actually understands current EU / UK legislation with regards to pleasure/ commercial sea usage...and IMO contributed to the sinking of Cheeki Raffiki where 4 people died. Basically the bloke either didn't understand regs or used the fog within them to his own ends.
The EU has had years to sort stuff like this ...but cant for reasons mentioned.

• Disagree

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Try reading my post, no one was attacked just the attitude that people like you subscribe to, which is fair enough, when you make a post that is clearly completely wrong, it needs to be pointed out, and when the reason for the error is so obviously not bothering to check propaganda for truth it is correct to describe that as lazy.
What else can it be called? Malice? I chose the kinder option.
Being accurate is not being derogatory, simply truthful, I recommend you try it rather than pathetic make attempts to do the very thing you are complaining about.
It seems you don't understand how "Fair Comment" operates, unless you make it.
But who is to say that any one person's post is completely wrong? Because an opinion expressed within the post fails to dovetail with your view of the world does not make it wrong. It makes it different.

To make a self declaration of being correct and therefore the other person is a fool is grotesque and it is arrogant.

• Dislike

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Doesn't the whole shambles of negotiations indicate a massive flaw in EU anyway. When I worked in government we couldn't get 3 people to agree on something..Getting 27 to do is impossible. The whole EU system simply does not work..
A great example is certification within RYA now it has to follow EU regs. Just look into their structure for ICC ( Iternational Cert of Competence)
Honestly , its a nightmare . Really it makes hundreds of peoples jobs harder, makes nothing any safer..Its ludicrous in its complexity,I don't think anyone actually understands current EU / UK legislation with regards to pleasure/ commercial sea usage...and IMO contributed to the sinking of Cheeki Raffiki where 4 people died. Basically the bloke either didn't understand regs or used the fog within them to his own ends.
The EU has had years to sort stuff like this ...but cant for reasons mentioned.
With you in the room who could be surprised it was hard to get three people to agree on anything! they were probably wishing they were somewhere else.;)
So America and China and any other large human grouping is doomed according to you?

I know this is a pretty revlutionary concept to grasp, but ALL HUMANS are basically the same, and there is no reason whatsover preventing progress to the point that in the end there will be a WORLD GOVERNMENT, a necessary step towards that being larger subgroups such as a United States of Europe.
Not merely necessary but inevitable, or humanity is doomed.

• Agree

Advertisers