Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
We are already seeing naive statements, the sort that have been pushed for decades, being re-issued. Like:

If we consume more calories than we burn up through everyday activity or exercise, we put on weight.

A lot hangs on the word "consume". And another lot on the assumption that calorific value is the only significant contribution made by foods.

Our guts vary. If I eat a meal it might be very substantially absorbed. If someone else ate the same meal, they might absorb far less. The combination of our ability to produce stomach acid, enzymes, bicarbonate, all the micro-organisms, the speed of transit, our genetic make-up, time of day, etc., all contribute to the impact of a meal.

Further, at least some protein is used for many processes including making some hormones, making muscle and other tissue.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
If an online sales tax were a good idea, they should have implemented it years ago.

British retailers issue warning over potential online sales tax
Shoppers will pay more if chancellor goes ahead with digital levy in England and Wales, says lobby group
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jul/27/rishi-sunak-online-sales-tax-protect-high-streets-coronavirus

According to the Times, Sunak is considering two types of online retail tax: a levy of about 2% on all goods bought online, raising £2bn a year; and a tax on consumer deliveries, which would also be expected to curb traffic and pollution.
What a good idea. Delivery taxes which will encourage more people to hop into their cars and drive into towns, out-of-towns, across the country, etc. An especially good idea in rural areas where the distances can be considerable and the most efficient way of goods arriving with customers is some sort of delivery service.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I had an aunt who at one time worked in a pickle factory. They had no running water nearby or in the toilets, so every time someone used the loo they dipped their hands in the vinegar afterwards to clean up o_O
We cleaned Asbestos dust and muck off our hands in the Carbon Tetrachloride tank. till a Government Inspector came 60 odd years after the factory opened and banned it.
Nobody explained why at the time.......:eek:

Reactions: Woosh and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I had an aunt who at one time worked in a pickle factory. They had no running water nearby or in the toilets, so every time someone used the loo they dipped their hands in the vinegar afterwards to clean up o_O
I think I'd want to wash my hands before using the loo.

Reminds of friend who cooked a hot curry for friends. He disappeared.

They eventually found him in the bathroom with his member in a bowl of water...

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner and Nev

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Trump will do try everything in order to win. If he loses then there is a good chance the truth will come out and he and members of his regime will end up in prison. Many people think unless Biden wins big then Trump will be able to fix thing so that he stays in power for four more years. What Putin has done to Russia Trump and his family are doing to the USA. It's hard to believe they could do it in a democracy but that is what is happening.

What this is about is preparing the way to cheat in the November elections. The dems are trying to get postal votes only under the excuse of covid 19. They control many of the services that bring the votes from the voters to the counting stations. It's already well-documented that the postal voting system is open to corruption. This narative about Trump not accepting the vote is their insurance for when they get caught cheating. They'll say, "We told you that he'd accuse us of cheating, and he wouldn't accept the vote results"

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Mark Zuckerberg has just be referred to the Dept of Justice for criminal investigation under the accusation of lying to congress based on info from the Project Veritas infiltration.

I think I heard that all the main platforms are back in congress this week to answer questions about bias.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
This narative about Trump not accepting the vote is their insurance for when they get caught cheating. They'll say, "We told you that he'd accuse us of cheating, and he wouldn't accept the vote results"
Fair enough I am sure this is what you believe, I think you are wrong, it will be interesting to see what happens in November.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I don't get that, all reports I've seen & read say there's no real evidence of any postal vote irregularities.
You would think it would be open to cheating but apparently it's not, I think it's Trump trying to skew it his way again. Just let the people decide like they did with Hillary Clinton, Biden will get most votes...Trump wins again, simple. God Bless America !

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
If an online sales tax were a good idea, they should have implemented it years ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jul/27/rishi-sunak-online-sales-tax-protect-high-streets-coronavirus

What a good idea. Delivery taxes which will encourage more people to hop into their cars and drive into towns, out-of-towns, across the country, etc. An especially good idea in rural areas where the distances can be considerable and the most efficient way of goods arriving with customers is some sort of delivery service.
Not a problem, just hop onto your new Boris prescription bicycle and ride into town.

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
We cleaned Asbestos dust and muck off our hands in the Carbon Tetrachloride tank. till a Government Inspector came 60 odd years after the factory opened and banned it.
Nobody explained why at the time.......:eek:
When I worked for Rolls Royce we had tanks containing over 10 000 gallons of Trichloroethane, all encased in asbestos. We cooled the Trichloroethane down to -60 deg C with a huge refrigeration plant. This formed a “cold reservoir “ for our wind tunnel. We could run at -40 / 100 knots for a few minutes by pumping the Trichloroethane through a heat exchanger.

The above facility had existed since the mid 1950s and when I was using it in the 1980s the run time at -40 was getting very short. Trichloroethane loss was also high.

I remember a team of insulation experts coming in and delicately cutting away the asbestos tank insulation with a chainsaw! They found leaks on all ten Trichloroethane tanks and we only had about 4000 gallons of the original 10000 left the tanks, plus we must have topped up with hundreds more gallons over the years. Where did all that Trichloroethane and Asbestos dust go? :) Not a H & S inspector in sight.

I guess those were the pre “red tape” days that people long for and hope that Brexit will deliver for them.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
When I worked for Rolls Royce we had tanks containing over 10 000 gallons of Trichloroethane, all encased in asbestos. We cooled the Trichloroethane down to -60 deg C with a huge refrigeration plant. This formed a “cold reservoir “ for our wind tunnel. We could run at -40 / 100 knots for a few minutes by pumping the Trichloroethane through a heat exchanger.

The above facility had existed since the mid 1950s and when I was using it in the 1980s the run time at -40 was getting very short. Trichloroethane loss was also high.

I remember a team of insulation experts coming in and delicately cutting away the asbestos tank insulation with a chainsaw! They found leaks on all ten Trichloroethane tanks and we only had about 4000 gallons of the original 10000 left the tanks, plus we must have topped up with hundreds more gallons over the years. Where did all that Trichloroethane and Asbestos dust go? :) Not a H & S inspector in sight.

I guess those were the pre “red tape” days that people long for and hope that Brexit will deliver for them.
Oh, I'm sure it will! having wiped out the elderly the late middle aged workers will be the next to go, just as they used to.
When someone reached retirement age in the factory it was a cause for a big party, and they drank toasts to absent friends who hadn't made it.

Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Following the science??? hardly!
In the Telegraph
Quarantine to be cut to 10 days for people arriving from Spain
Arrivals will be able to shorten their isolation if they test negative for virus

(So long as they agree not to mention they have been to Spain)

• Informative
Reactions: oyster and flecc

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
When someone reached retirement age in the factory it was a cause for a big party, and they drank toasts to absent friends who hadn't made it.
It's strange how one tends to forget what it was like not all that long ago. I left school and started working full time in 1975, and most people where I worked didn't retire at 65, they either died or went earlier due to extreme ill health, and we would be going to their funerals within a year or to after they had left.

Most of them did smoke however, I seem to remember there was a brand Capstan full strength or something similar that many of them smoked. That brand must have killed hundreds of thousands of people over the years.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It's strange how one tends to forget what it was like not all that long ago. I left school and started working full time in 1975, and most people where I worked didn't retire at 65, they either died or went earlier due to extreme ill health, and we would be going to their funerals within a year or to after they had left.

Most of them did smoke however, I seem to remember there was a brand Capstan full strength or something similar that many of them smoked. That brand must have killed hundreds of thousands of people over the years.
Locally Woodbines and Park Drive were the biggest sale and a shop keepers would reach for the Woodbines if you asked for ten or twenty "coffin nails":cool:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020

That’s very true. On the occasions I went into the works to attend a retirement ceremony, I remember it consisting of a manager desperately trying to remember who the broken wreck of a human being stood before him was. What his name is and what he’d been doing for the past 50 years.

After the ceremony finished, the poor bloke would shuffle off clutching a set of Pyrex dishes and a cheap watch to die somewhere. It’s desperately sad and actually brings a tear to my eye when I think about.

It did me good. Every time I witnessed one of these events, it made me determined that I’d never be one of those wrecked men.

My last day at work was a completely normal working day. Landed at 16:30 on 04/05/2018. Flight helmet, overalls, flame proof underwear and boots in the car by 16:45. Home by 18:00. Never flown again since, no contact with work colleagues & don’t miss any of it. Loved the job and the people, but that’s all history and I enjoy new things now.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Indeed. The last company location I ran I had 14 employees when I joined, four of them nearing 65. Two died of cancer in their final year before retirement, one died of prostrate cancer three months after retiring and one died of natural causes eight months after retiring.

There seem to be huge differences between individuals with smoking effects, I should have died very long ago according to the "experts". In fact I smoked cigarettes for almost forty years from the age of 11 when I was able to afford them due to holding down three part time jobs. I always inhaled and the number of cigarettes I smoked increased rapidly, 30, 40, 50 and eventually at least 60 a day for the last 15 odd years until I stopped smoking abruptly at 50 years old. The average across the forty years must have been easily 40 a day which is well over double the lethal level according to the medical experts.

But now I'm still alive and active at 84.

I also remember a 104 year old woman on TV who'd smoked all her life and was chuckling at the reporter as she lit yet another cigarette!

Yet there are many others who have apparently died relatively young from secondary smoking from breathing other's diluted smoke within buildings. Clearly there are immense differences between individual vulnerabilities, a bit like Covid-19 maybe!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nev

Advertisers