Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Be interesting to see how they manage to ban web advertising. Especially if they decide on a watershed time. Just what happens at the witching hour? Do ads have to automatically switch from being for junk food to something else at a certain time in the early hours? Even if already displayed on your screen? And wherever the site is located? Imagine USA Macdonald's having to not serve up any adverts to anyone in the UK. Yes, you can enforce some control over the UK side.

Who will be the target? The advertiser or the site/ad server?

Web ads for junk food could be banned under UK government plans
Ban on unhealthy food TV adverts before 9pm could extend to all online ads

It also concerns me how they will define junk food. They will either leave coach and horses sized holes or include foods which really are not junk. Nutritionally qualified people have said for many years that the evil is in the quantity rather than the actual food.

If Macdonald's or Domino's sometimes advertise what are defined as the most wonderfully nutritious meals on the planet, will that not also advertise everything they sell that is included in the junk food category? Their brands and "experiences" will still be the main thrust of any advertising.

Right now, I seem to see more gambling ads than anything else. I end up feeling guilty at watching television paid for by betting companies. (No, I don't gamble.)
Eating unadulterated lard is good for you. 100,000 Eskimos cannot be wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Eating unadulterated lard is good for you. 100,000 Eskimos cannot be wrong.
We have seen so many claims, and counter-claims, it is very difficult to be sure of anything much!

I foresee fat, especially lard and other animal fats, being regarded as bad - as they usually are now. I consume plenty - love butter and cheese. Yet my cholesterol (inasmuch as it is a measure of anything) is low - towards hypocholesterolaemia. And my triglycerides are fine.

Last edited:

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
We have seen so many claims, and counter-claims, it is very difficult to be sure of anything much!

I foresee fat, especially lard and other animal fats, being regarded as bad - as they usually are now. I consume plenty - love butter and cheese. Yet my cholesterol (inasmuch as it is a measure of anything) is low - towards hypocholesterolaemia. And by triglycerides are fine.
No point in rendering your carcase down then Oyster, it wouldn't even make a candle on a 1 year old's birthday cake !

• :D
Reactions: Nev and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The government has launched a Better Health campaign, which aims to encourage the country to “to lose weight to beat coronavirus (COVID-19) and protect the NHS”. The programme would ban “buy one get one free” promotions and introduce calorie counts on menus, a move that has prompted criticism from at least one eating disorder charity.
oldgroaner@oldgroaner

·
37s

Out of curiosity, where and who did this plan originate from and why right now? While it is an important issue it in nowhere near the top of priorities we face at the moment. If it was, it would have been tackled years ago, so what is it intended to divert our attention from?

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
so what is it intended to divert our attention from?
from the spat they have with the Chinese and Russians.
Now it looks like Trump may lose in November...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The government has launched a Better Health campaign, which aims to encourage the country to “to lose weight to beat coronavirus (COVID-19) and protect the NHS”. The programme would ban “buy one get one free” promotions and introduce calorie counts on menus, a move that has prompted criticism from at least one eating disorder charity.
oldgroaner@oldgroaner

·
37s

Out of curiosity, where and who did this plan originate from and why right now? While it is an important issue it in nowhere near the top of priorities we face at the moment. If it was, it would have been tackled years ago, so what is it intended to divert our attention from?
Perhaps not to divert attention. Possibly it's a way to get us used to less food in preparation for food rationing as a way of dealing with No Deal Brexit shortages and Covid-19 economic collapse.

Then as we get more hungry we'll become more eager to accept the USA's GM crops and chlorinated chicken, this achieving several political objectives with one measure.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
This whole Chlorinated food thing is a very interesting debate when you look into it. We are of course already eating food that's been prepared with Chlorinated water like pre packed salads fruit veg etc, in fact we've been using Chorine for over 100 years with no harmful affects to ourselves it's said.
Americans when told their food is prepared with Chlorine say there're glad it is because it's healthier that having it bug ridden.
GM is another thing we already eat although I suspect most don't know or care. A lot of the flour you see on supermarket shelves either comes from or contains flour originating in Canada where GM crops are the norm.
I'd say it's almost impossible to avoid all products that have been prepared in ways we might find undesirable.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A lot of the flour you see on supermarket shelves either comes from or contains flour originating in Canada where GM crops are the norm.
But not wheat flour, that isn't the norm anywhere in the world so that doesn't apply. Corn (maize) is commonly GM.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Nev and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
As a smokescreen this anti obesity campaign seems to be working, portraying Johnson as a caring and thoughtful prime minister instead of the twat he is.
In reality is a scam to reduce the impact of food shortages due to Brexit as having added value and to make him look popular.
If it is so important why wasn't it done before?
Next thing they will be penalising the public by prioritising slim people for NHS treatment

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
As I've said we have been eating GM for over 10 years, and yes that does include wheat ! When tests on GM crops were first carried out research stations made no attempt to isolate their produce from nearby non GM fields, the result was contamination from the GM wheat had made it's way into other farms. All this was documented years ago but no one gave a damn then and probably still don't, except those labelled as cranks ... like me :)
You are eating it alright you just don't know it, thing is do you care ?
Just to be clear, I mentioned Canadian wheat as a one size fits all reference. I could have gone into detail about all the various foodstuffs of which various seeds, grains etc end up in our flour and eventually bread.

Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Now it looks like Trump may lose in November...
Trump will do try everything in order to win. If he loses then there is a good chance the truth will come out and he and members of his regime will end up in prison. Many people think unless Biden wins big then Trump will be able to fix thing so that he stays in power for four more years. What Putin has done to Russia Trump and his family are doing to the USA. It's hard to believe they could do it in a democracy but that is what is happening.

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Or the Mongolian nomads who live much of the year on rancid butter.
I must tell you this factual story about how Londoners preference for Yellow butter came about.
When Alum production began at Ravenscar nearly 200 years ago large quantities of Human urine were required for mass processing of the roasted ore.
Barrels were placed outside London pubs (and of course other major cities) and when full shipped by sea to Skinningrove, where when emptied the barrels were filled with locally produced Butter, which is virtually white in colour, and shipped back to London for the process to continue, since no one objected there didn't seem to be any reason to clean the barrels at either end of the journey.
:cool:

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I must tell you this factual story about how Londoners preference for Yellow butter came about.
When Alum production began at Ravenscar nearly 200 years ago large quantities of Human urine were required for mass processing of the roasted ore.
Barrels were placed outside London pubs (and of course other major cities) and when full shipped by sea to Skinningrove, where when emptied the barrels were filled with locally produced Butter, which is virtually white in colour, and shipped back to London for the process to continue, since no one objected there didn't seem to be any reason to clean the barrels at either end of the journey.
:cool:
Ah, so that's why modern butter is so lacking in flavour.

Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Advertisers