Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Oh well, as long as he's looking for a big fridge and not still thinking of building a big bridge to N.I. it could be worse. We had enough of his bridge ambitions in London, ending up with a £56 million invisible garden bridge and a cable car across the Thames that almost no Londoners use.
Perhaps he needs to add a T and go a few miles further? Bridget of Sweden - commonly the patron saint of failures.

Reactions: flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Weird, I've just been into Co Op for the first time wearing my face mask and I asked the girl at the till "Where's the honey ?
She put her hands straight up in the air and then gave me a bag with £300 inside.
I don't understand ! But going back tomorrow.
In a less funny way I had to go to the bank yesterday to get six months worth of bank statements and the administrator asked if I had photographic ID. I handed over my driver's licence and suppressed some smart arse remarks about the fact that she couldn't possibly know whether it was me.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Weird, I've just been into Co Op for the first time wearing my face mask and I asked the girl at the till "Where's the honey ?
She put her hands straight up in the air and then gave me a bag with £300 inside.
I don't understand ! But going back tomorrow.
Reminds me of the time I was flying to Spain and I spotted my pal Jack sitting in a seat ahead of me, I shouted " Hi Jack " and we ended up in Cuba !

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Speaking of Spain:

Coronavirus live news: UK to announce tourists returning from Spain must quarantine for two weeks

I wonder how well that will go down with those who are there, or due to go, and simply don't have the holiday time, money, etc., to cover another two weeks...?

• :D
  • Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner and Nev

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Speaking of Spain:

Coronavirus live news: UK to announce tourists returning from Spain must quarantine for two weeks

I wonder how well that will go down with those who are there, or due to go, and simply don't have the holiday time, money, etc., to cover another two weeks...?
On a slight tangent, wikipedia say 123 died from covid in the uk today while the local media say 61. Who is right and is this an innocent mistake?

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Guardian goes with 123:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/25/coronavirus-uk-map-latest-deaths-confirmed-covid-19-cases-england-scotland-wales-northern-ireland

But I think that number is actually for yesterday. Their data seems to be from Johns Hopkins.
Guardian goes with 123:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/25/coronavirus-uk-map-latest-deaths-confirmed-covid-19-cases-england-scotland-wales-northern-ireland

But I think that number is actually for yesterday. Their data seems to be from Johns Hopkins.
I usually ask Google who use wikipedia, who say 53 died yesterday in the uk from covid, it may just be a statistical anomaly caused by the way numbers are compiled, though Hancock et al trigger all sorts of trust issues in me when it comes to official data.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The Independent says:

Grant Shapps: Transport secretary on holiday in Spain and will have to quarantine, government says

Which shows how irresponsible he was going there. In my book, he simply cannot fulfil the requirements of being a minister while self-isolating. (Nor could Johnson.)

Mind, I expect something like an "if you have been tested before and after and showed negative, you can avoid self-isolation" rule to appear. One that miraculously enables him to avoid it.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Did anybody read this?
Ok, I'll bite. It does have an odd kind of retro aesthetic (reminiscent of 2000AD). I imagine it means barnier is an evil megalomaniac. Or at least a shifty bastard. I can go with that as long as we agree that the original blade runner predicted Farage (who is a dodgy dysfunctional ugly escaped android if I've ever seen one)

• :D
Reactions: Nev

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Did anybody read this?
Zerohedge - A far-right conspiracy theory website based in Bulgaria

And I suppose the Govt Medical Officers are in on the conspiracy....

“Most experts believe that it is not a question of whether there will be another severe influenza pandemic, but when.”
(The Government’s Chief Medical Officer, 2002)

“Wherever in the world a flu pandemic starts, perhaps with its epicentre in the Far East, we must assume we will be unable to prevent it reaching the UK. When it does, its impact will be severe in the number of illnesses and the disruption to everyday life. The steps we are setting out today will help us to reduce the disease's impact on our population.”
(Sir Liam Donaldson, Chief Medical Officer, 1 March 2005)

And I'm in on it as well as I wrote for a pandemic presentation in 2005:

In the time it takes to develop and procure the new vaccine, the following measures would be used to try to buy time and stop the virus spreading:

• Travel between the UK and infected countries restricted and health screening begun at ports
• Infected people asked to go into voluntary isolation and those who had been in contact with them into voluntary quarantine
• Public gatherings such as football matches and concerts restricted, along with movement of people within local areas
• Schools closed
• Infected people, those who had been in contact with them and possibly the general public told to wear face masks.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
The Independent says:

Grant Shapps: Transport secretary on holiday in Spain and will have to quarantine, government says

Which shows how irresponsible he was going there. In my book, he simply cannot fulfil the requirements of being a minister while self-isolating. (Nor could Johnson.)

Mind, I expect something like an "if you have been tested before and after and showed negative, you can avoid self-isolation" rule to appear. One that miraculously enables him to avoid it.
He doesn’t need to isolate if he has to test whether his eyes are working.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Zerohedge - A far-right conspiracy theory website based in Bulgaria

And I suppose the Govt Medical Officers are in on the conspiracy....

“Most experts believe that it is not a question of whether there will be another severe influenza pandemic, but when.”
(The Government’s Chief Medical Officer, 2002)

“Wherever in the world a flu pandemic starts, perhaps with its epicentre in the Far East, we must assume we will be unable to prevent it reaching the UK. When it does, its impact will be severe in the number of illnesses and the disruption to everyday life. The steps we are setting out today will help us to reduce the disease's impact on our population.”
(Sir Liam Donaldson, Chief Medical Officer, 1 March 2005)

And I'm in on it as well as I wrote for a pandemic presentation in 2005:

In the time it takes to develop and procure the new vaccine, the following measures would be used to try to buy time and stop the virus spreading:

• Travel between the UK and infected countries restricted and health screening begun at ports
• Infected people asked to go into voluntary isolation and those who had been in contact with them into voluntary quarantine
• Public gatherings such as football matches and concerts restricted, along with movement of people within local areas
• Schools closed
• Infected people, those who had been in contact with them and possibly the general public told to wear face masks.
It doesn't matter who unearthed it. it's what's in it it that counts, and it's an official EU publication.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Be interesting to see how they manage to ban web advertising. Especially if they decide on a watershed time. Just what happens at the witching hour? Do ads have to automatically switch from being for junk food to something else at a certain time in the early hours? Even if already displayed on your screen? And wherever the site is located? Imagine USA Macdonald's having to not serve up any adverts to anyone in the UK. Yes, you can enforce some control over the UK side.

Who will be the target? The advertiser or the site/ad server?

Web ads for junk food could be banned under UK government plans
Ban on unhealthy food TV adverts before 9pm could extend to all online ads

It also concerns me how they will define junk food. They will either leave coach and horses sized holes or include foods which really are not junk. Nutritionally qualified people have said for many years that the evil is in the quantity rather than the actual food.

If Macdonald's or Domino's sometimes advertise what are defined as the most wonderfully nutritious meals on the planet, will that not also advertise everything they sell that is included in the junk food category? Their brands and "experiences" will still be the main thrust of any advertising.

Right now, I seem to see more gambling ads than anything else. I end up feeling guilty at watching television paid for by betting companies. (No, I don't gamble.)

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Does anyone know who’s running the country? I’ve Just seen that Jet2 are advising passengers to ignore government advice and to get onboard their aeroplanes and fly to mainland Spain. Who’s advice do we follow, government or Jet2?

I starting to favour the company Jet2 as the better candidate for running the show. At least they are trying to encourage uk citizens to stay safe by travelling to a country where the government isn’t killing as many people due to incompetence.

Advertisers