Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I see the usual response, new law.

Ministers are considering strengthening security laws after a report by MPs said the government had "badly underestimated" the threat of Russian interference to the UK.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said a new law requiring foreign agents to register in the UK was being looked at.

Shame they don't consider their own actions/inactions before turning to the legal bods to draft stuff that will never be adhered to. I mean, expecting everyone to say "I work as an agent of Russia/USA/China/anyone else" is nonsensical. The ones who want to hide will continue to do so.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I see the usual response, new law.

Ministers are considering strengthening security laws after a report by MPs said the government had "badly underestimated" the threat of Russian interference to the UK.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said a new law requiring foreign agents to register in the UK was being looked at.

Shame they don't consider their own actions/inactions before turning to the legal bods to draft stuff that will never be adhered to. I mean, expecting everyone to say "I work as an agent of Russia/USA/China/anyone else" is nonsensical. The ones who want to hide will continue to do so.
There will be a new Blue covered "Government approved Enemy Agent" Licence, only a £1 Million minimum voluntary donation required (into Conservative Funds)

By paying up front you can enjoy the Bunga Bunga party season freely :cool:

• :D
Reactions: Nev and oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't get this, is it a typo?
UK abandons hope of US trade deal by end of year

Us not EU?
the US has an election in November, there is no way anything can be done before XMAS.
we won't have a proper deal with any of the largest economies: EU, China, US, Japan, India for a few years yet.
Not only there is no time, there is no real incentives either because until we know what we want and what we can have, nobody will want to rush.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Now let me see. If I were to be prosecuted for driving my car in a dangerous condition because the tyres were bald, would it be an adequate defence for me to claim that there is no evidence of the tyres being bald because I never check them? This is effectively the government’s explanation for the Russia report.

With this and the Cummings eye sight test, we are taken for complete mugs.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Now let me see. If I were to be prosecuted for driving my car in a dangerous condition because the tyres were bald, would it be an adequate defence for me to claim that there is no evidence of the tyres being bald because I never check them? This is effectively the government’s explanation for the Russia report.

With this and the Cummings eye sight test, we are taken for complete mugs.
Bulk order?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
No-one here will be surprised.

Test and trace system in England failing to contact thousands in worst-hit areas
Exclusive: number of close contacts of infected people being reached is below 80% in high infection areas
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/22/test-and-trace-system-in-england-failing-to-contact-thousands

But in many of the worst-affected parts of England, the ratio is significantly below 80%. In Luton, only 47% of close contacts had been reached; in Blackburn with Darwen, the figure was 54%; in Leicester, 65% of people were contacted; in Rochdale 66% were reached, and in Kirklees the figure was 77%.

Odd that the time is between 48 and 72 hours. Surely, as a target, there should just be one number?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Tory vermin love mistakenly using the words "Research Group"
The Conservative Union Research Group joins the China Research Group and European Research Group in attempting to pressure the Tory leadership on key issues at the heart of the parliamentary party.

But rather than oppose relations, this one wants to bring closer ties.

It has been established by Robin Millar, the MP for Aberconwy in North Wales, and is supported by 30 MPs from Wales, Scotland or north of England, and aims to ensure the union is at the heart of government.

What they really should be called is "Conspiracy" or "Coven"

• Informative
Reactions: oyster and Nev

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Andrea Leadsom says it's fine for the wives of Russian oligarchs, close to Putin, to fund the Tory party otherwise the taxpayer would have to pick up the bill. She just said that on the BBC. :cool:
Boris say (bbc news) "the response to the coronavirus shows the sheer might of the United kingdom". well beyond satire. or orwell's 1984's newspeak. Like Brexit uk's covid response must at least be "double plus ungood". would be hysterical (if the public didn't lap it up). Isnt that ******* strange? Ive become convinced we strayed into a parallel universe.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
My morning tweet reposing to Telegraph headline

oldgroaner@oldgroaner

·
3s

"UK to offer emergency Brexit talks with 'EU to blame' if trade deal collapses." What comedy! the ERG won't mind so long as the "No Deal" they were promised is delivered and the hedge funds will cheer after all £5 trillion invested on failure just waiting

Zany face

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Propagandists to the core:

UK trade department to tackle 'fake news' with new rebuttal role
The DIT has just advertised a new position of ‘chief media officer, trade policy and rebuttal’
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/23/uk-trade-department-to-tackle-fake-news-with-new-rebuttal-expert-role

Just why would we trust what the DIT/Truss say? Yes, lots of "fake news" out there. (Or is that out here?) But this smacks of media manipulation rather than anything else.

In the same article:

A DIT spokesperson said: “Seeking free trade agreements is a key priority for this country.

And I thought the rest of the world was going to be queuing up to offer the best deals ever. Whereas it reads as if they will be looking down the back of the sofa.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Propagandists to the core:

UK trade department to tackle 'fake news' with new rebuttal role
The DIT has just advertised a new position of ‘chief media officer, trade policy and rebuttal’
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/23/uk-trade-department-to-tackle-fake-news-with-new-rebuttal-expert-role

Just why would we trust what the DIT/Truss say? Yes, lots of "fake news" out there. (Or is that out here?) But this smacks of media manipulation rather than anything else.

In the same article:

A DIT spokesperson said: “Seeking free trade agreements is a key priority for this country.

And I thought the rest of the world was going to be queuing up to offer the best deals ever. Whereas it reads as if they will be looking down the back of the sofa.
Next they will be calling for a mass army of volunteer "Trade deal seekers" and there will be a badge
(Mind you it will cost you $5)

• :D
Reactions: Woosh and oyster

Advertisers