Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
That's a couple of days old - 8/3/20

On 8 March, three new cases in Belgorod, Moscow and Kaliningrad oblasts were confirmed, all of them have returned from Italy.[21]

On 9 March, three cases in Moscow were confirmed, all of them coming from Italy.

Yes - but it was what was still the live data on WHO this morning.

Was just saying where I got the information from!

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Past words of wisdom from Fromage

And what is he saying now?
Nigel Farage, age 55, smoker. Let us pray....

Among Chinese patients diagnosed with COVID-19 associated pneumonia, the odds of disease progression (including to death) were 14 times higher among people with a history of smoking compared to those who did not smoke. This was the strongest risk factor among those examined".

• Informative
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Nigel Farage, age 55, smoker. Let us pray....

Among Chinese patients diagnosed with COVID-19 associated pneumonia, the odds of disease progression (including to death) were 14 times higher among people with a history of smoking compared to those who did not smoke. This was the strongest risk factor among those examined".

Is there any further clarification of "history of smoking"? Was it an "ever smoked", "smoked in last 1/5/10 years", "smoked right up until being admitted with covid-19"?

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Yes - but it was what was still the live data on WHO this morning.

Was just saying where I got the information from!
This is a tangent, but 472 out of 9178 infections have died in italy so far (and it has a very similar demographic to us), I think its nearer 5 than 3%

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
This is a tangent, but 472 out of 9178 infections have died in italy so far (and it has a very similar demographic to us), I think its nearer 5 than 3%
As I see it ,with careful management and ample resources, and a low rate of infection, the 3% rate is real, whereas if any of the three factors are lacking it can go to to 6% or higher. The key point being what fraction of the 20% are allowed to become critical care patients.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, ...

Johnson's majority slashed to 24 as Tory rebels fire warning shot of Huawei's involvement in 5G

The government has won the vote, but it has seen its majority slashed. MPs voted down Sir Iain Duncan Smith’s amendment by 306 votes to 282 - a majority of 24. Allowing for the non-appearance of Sinn Fein, and deputy speakers not voting, Boris Johnson should have a working majority of 87.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
[QUOTE="Barry Shittpeas, post: 544934, member: 28277"
It‘s times like this which test leadership. Ordinarily, they can get away with BS, but there isn’t going to be any hiding from this situation. From the comments in the Tory Fanboy Mail, Boris isn’t doing too well in the leadership stakes.
[/QUOTE]
Just be thankful your not American, imagine having DT in charge of ones safety and well being at a time like this!!!!

Heard Rory Stewart on TV today about the virus, seems to talk a lot of sense, shame he was not elected leader. He has had some experience dealing with diseases says we should be taking much stronger measures right now and not waiting until we are at Italys stage.

Its a difficult balancing act tying to get the timing right on what course of actions to take. I am glad I don't have to take that kind of responsibility. Looking at how much BJ has aged in the last month or so I suspect he wished he was not having to take those actions too. I bet being PM has not turned out anything like what he expected it to.

In a situation like this, simple sound bites such as "Get Brexit Done" are not going to cut the mustard. He is going to carry the can if things turn out bad for many of us. That's as it should be, it is a tremendous honour to be PM of this country, but it also carries tremendous responsibility. My guess is that he is only now starting to realise that.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
This is an interesting article, but could well be inaccurate as the content was later retracted.
News coming out of China cannot really be taken at face value.. caveat emptor...
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3074351/coronavirus-can-travel-twice-far-official-safe-distance-and-stay
Coronavirus can travel twice as far as official ‘safe distance’ and stay in air for 30 minutes, Chinese study finds
  • Authorities advise people to stay 1-2 metres apart, but researchers found that a bus passenger infected fellow travellers sitting 4.5 metres away
  • The scientists behind the research said their investigation also highlighted the importance of wearing face masks because of the length of time it can linger
True, false? who knows!

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
This is an interesting article, but could well be inaccurate as the content was later retracted.
News coming out of China cannot really be taken at face value.. caveat emptor...
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3074351/coronavirus-can-travel-twice-far-official-safe-distance-and-stay
Coronavirus can travel twice as far as official ‘safe distance’ and stay in air for 30 minutes, Chinese study finds
  • Authorities advise people to stay 1-2 metres apart, but researchers found that a bus passenger infected fellow travellers sitting 4.5 metres away
  • The scientists behind the research said their investigation also highlighted the importance of wearing face masks because of the length of time it can linger
True, false? who knows!
I do not believe that CV simply cannot travel further than 1-2 metres. We all know how even a mild zephyr can carry dust, pollen, aromas, etc., far further.

Maybe round here the wind is so strong any CV gets blown right across the county?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Well done folks...

No 10 has admitted the NHS 111 online service has been giving out the wrong advice on coronavirus to travellers returning from Italy, as the number of confirmed cases in the UK rose to 373 and a sixth death was announced.

Returning travellers from the European centre of the outbreak in Italy were still being told all day on Tuesday there was no need to self-isolate if they had no symptoms.

This is despite advice from Public Health England released on Monday night advising all people coming from Italy, which is in lockdown, to stay at home for 14 days regardless of whether they feel unwell.

Confused travellers expressed their concerns about the conflicting advice on social media but NHS 111 still had not updated the portal at 5pm on Tuesday – hours after it was first informed of the problem.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/10/pressure-builds-on-uk-to-step-up-coronavirus-measures

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Will Trump be able to tweet and lie and blame other people for what is likely to happen in the USA?
He'll find a way to cash in

$139.95 ($330 value)

The PrivaTest is proudly displayed on that company’s site as a “scientific window into your personal biochemistry.”

The Trump Network promoted the PrivaTest, Under the program, a consumer would collect a urine sample at home and mail it into a lab, which would then analyze it.

Trump recorded an online video, posted a letter online, and spoke at two conventions promoting the products.

For a story on its website, The Daily Beast interviewed a doctor who worked at The Trump Network. The unnamed doctor produced a 12-page document that he said proved the validity of PrivaTest.

However, The Daily Beast reported the papers failed to mention a single test done on humans. It also was never published in any peer review medical journal.

Last edited:

Advertisers