Nov 15, 2015
I swear it gets dafter by the day

Haggis_UK
Flag of United Kingdom

@Haggis_UK

·
2h

2h
Boris Johnson has told Andrew Bridgen the UK will walk away & not pay it's debts if we don't get the "trade deal we desire."

oldgroaner@oldgroaner
Replying to @Haggis_UK
Replying to
@Haggis_UK
So we have been reduced to begging with menaces? "Spare a groat or I'll slit yer throat?" my old Border Riever ancestors would certainly approve!

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hang on, the assumption is that the person self isolating does not have the virus,but may have been in contact with someone who had. Consequently it is 14 days since that person had contact that is counted. If there are other people in the premises who did not have direct contact with the someone who had, then de facto they also will be OK.
It just becomes a bummer if on day 15 you venture outside and meet a shower of Italians who just came over for the match , since they paid for accommodation.. then the 14 days starts afresh.
Yes but the self isolation bit is for the period wh
If, say, I have just got it this morning, and the two of us are in the house. It could be something like a week before my symptoms appear. And it might only be then that partner gets it from me - so her 14 days starts then. (Delayed transmission within our house could occur by chance, because it becomes more infectious as symptoms appear, because we are taking extra precautions already. Who knows?)
Yes but the self isolation is in the eventually when you don't know you have the virus.. the Heisenberg cat phase. If on day 10 you turn green etc, then you are no longer a potential but a certified certainty. Your fellow house guest moves up from potential to probable.

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Yes but the self isolation bit is for the period wh

Yes but the self isolation is in the eventually when you don't know you have the virus.. the Heisenberg cat phase. If on day 10 you turn green etc, then you are no longer a potential but a certified certainty. Your fellow house guest moves up from potential to probable.
And fellow house guest then needs to self-isolate for 14 days from then - which is 21 days from the start.

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
3) I'd be amazed if there are any home delivery slots left as far ahead as they can be booked.
I do my mum and dads on line shop for them every week with Sainsbury’s.

I booked their normal Friday delivery on Thursday and it arrived as usual, there was plenty capacity available given just 24hrs notice as usual.

The only thing that was not in stock was soap.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I do my mum and dads on line shop for them every week with Sainsbury’s.

I booked their normal Friday delivery on Thursday and it arrived as usual, there was plenty capacity available given just 24hrs notice as usual.

The only thing that was not in stock was soap.
..so calling them the great unwashed is passe?

• :D
Reactions: oyster and flecc

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Shampoo will substitute, or even washing up liquid for hands.
Dad has an old wardrobe in the garage, it contains a quantity of chemicals that would cleanse several small towns, that doesn’t stop them ordering two bottles of bleach every week “in case” :)

• :D
Reactions: oyster and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Amusing graphic explanation
If the German car industry isn't going to, it would be good to read how the British car industry will ride to the rescue.

Just five years ago...
Evidence of how successful this policy is came last month with £1bn of investment in UK car manufacturing announced in the space of seven days. China’s Geely revealed a plans for a £250m new factory to manufacture black cabs, Japan’s Honda said it would spend £200m making Swindon the global hub for its Civic model, and JLR put the remainder into an engine plant and expanding its design centre. In the longer term, Ford has invested £1.5bn in low emission engine technology and plants in Britain over the past five years.

This renewed confidence is feeding out into the wider economy. With 80pc of the cars produced in the Britain sold for export, the industry comprises 10pc of UK exports. According to the SMMT, as well as generating a turnover of £64bn, with £12bn added value, the industry also directly employs 160,000 people and a total of 770,000 across the wider sector.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/engineering/11529330/The-fall-and-rise-of-Britains-car-industry.html

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Amusing graphic explanation
Amusing, but a little misleading I fear. Very large numbers of German cars are made in other countries, Hungary can make as many cars as us and for some while they've all been German cars for four of their main brands. Several other EU countries make German cars as well.

Hence how much smaller the second dog is.

And the even smaller third dog is in part due to so many German cars being made where many of them are sold, such as the USA, Central and South American countries and here in Britain of course with the German Mini and Rolls Royce cars. Some won't like that, but both those brands are German too.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Nev and oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If the German car industry isn't going to, it would be good to read how the British car industry will ride to the rescue.

Just five years ago...
Evidence of how successful this policy is came last month with £1bn of investment in UK car manufacturing announced in the space of seven days. China’s Geely revealed a plans for a £250m new factory to manufacture black cabs, Japan’s Honda said it would spend £200m making Swindon the global hub for its Civic model, and JLR put the remainder into an engine plant and expanding its design centre. In the longer term, Ford has invested £1.5bn in low emission engine technology and plants in Britain over the past five years.

This renewed confidence is feeding out into the wider economy. With 80pc of the cars produced in the Britain sold for export, the industry comprises 10pc of UK exports. According to the SMMT, as well as generating a turnover of £64bn, with £12bn added value, the industry also directly employs 160,000 people and a total of 770,000 across the wider sector.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/engineering/11529330/The-fall-and-rise-of-Britains-car-industry.html
Except of course it's all going backwards now. Honda is leaving, JLR is in decline. the Ford plant producing most of their engines is closing and our overall car production is 24% down in the last three years and still falling.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Except of course it's all going backwards now. Honda is leaving, JLR is in decline. the Ford plant producing most of their engines is closing and our overall car production is 24% down in the last three years and still falling.
Yes - was somewhat facetious.

Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Shout through the letterbox, asking if they need anything from the shops and if their will is up to date...

On serious not - Insightful series of YT vids > https://www.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching
Why did he turn the tap on with his bare hand? If he had any virus load on his hands, the tap would now be contaminated. Yet, at the end, he made quite a pay about turning it off with his elbow.

Surely would have been better to elbow it to set temperature and turn it on?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
  • Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner and Nev

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Is this a good idea?
EASA has a budget of around 160/170 million euros.

Disregarding everything else, to get anywhere near what they are achieving we will have to spend towards that much. On top of which UK will, surely, have to double-up approvals of UK air things?

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

Advertisers