Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Ken Clarke's customs union almost got passed,that would have been a politically useful milestone.
Customs Union (Proposed by Ken Clarke)
AYES: 264 NOES: 272
His will probably pass on Monday.

The one to watch on Monday is
Confirmatory public vote (a.k.a. second referendum)
AYES: 268 NOES: 295

That will be an earthquake.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Splitting May’s deal into two parts? WTF is she doing now? How can MP’s vote on that?

She has really lost it now and requires a good hard slap, and then the keys to Number 10 need confiscating.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Splitting May’s deal into two parts? WTF is she doing now? How can MP’s vote on that?

She has really lost it now and requires a good hard slap, and then the keys to Number 10 need confiscating.
Yes but the Speaker has bought it as sufficiently different and that's all that matters at this stage .
So there is an opportunity for the WA to be completed within the designated period.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

it has always been the binding part (WA) that needs to pass, the political declaration is a bit of non-binding decoration.
She should have done this at the last time.
It shows up the perfidy of MPs. Many of them would have voted for the same thing under different context (permanent customs union, EEA single market and/or Common Market 2.0).

Reactions: robdon

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
it has always been the binding part (WA) that needs to pass, the political declaration is a bit of non-binding decoration.
She should have done this at the last time.
It shows up the perfidy of MPs. Many of them would have voted for the same thing under different context (permanent customs union, EEA single market and/or Common Market 2.0).
But don’t the problems still exist? One half is no good without the other. It solves nothing. It still leaves uncertainty and makes us look even more stupid as a country, which is something that I thought was impossible after her performance last week.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
But don’t the problems still exist? One half is no good without the other. It solves nothing. It still leaves uncertainty and makes us look even more stupid as a country, which is something that I thought was impossible after her performance last week.
the political declaration is important but it rests with the next PM, not the one who negotiated it. Some of her red lines will have to be fudged if parliament votes for the WA.
I don't think the WA is a bad deal. Brexit was oversold, a lot of brexit voters did not expect it to be that complicated but divorces are usually more expensive and messier than most people expected.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and robdon

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Maybe. Then they look to us to provide them with money to heat and feed their families.

Bless these small folk we are so benevolent and don't want to be their masters and ask for servitude anymore.

We are a good people.

I'm proud to count myself amongst them.
In the field next to my flat there is a jackass, not knowing what the farmer calls him I christened him "fingers". A couple of fields over there are two donkeys, one is of course Theresa, what should I call the second one?...

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
the political declaration is important but it rests with the next PM, not the one who negotiated it. Some of her red lines will have to be fudged if parliament votes for the WA.
I don't think the WA is a bad deal. Brexit was oversold, a lot of brexit voters did not expect it to be that complicated but divorces are usually more expensive and messier than most people expected.
I can’t see what the advantages over remaining are. It’s the equivalent of contacting your mobile provider and demanding less data for the same monthly tariff. Nuts.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I can’t see what the advantages over remaining are.
Exactly, although I was never a massive fan of the EU, I could not see it worth taking the huge risk of leaving the club for some dubious rewards some time in the future.

I was listening to a programme on Radio 4 this evening called the briefing room, its probably available on their web site if anyone wants to hear it. It was all about Brexit and provided some good information, it was experts and not politicians taking part.

After listening to it, I would think most logical people would conclude we would be crazy to leave the EU. Having said that, leaving has become and act of faith for many people and so no matter what an expert tells them they are not going to believe them.

Not wanting to wish any ill on Gove, but if he was in need of an operation and contacted a consultant surgeon. I would like the surgeon to tell him to go and ask anyone walking past in the street to do the operation because he (Gove) had had enough of experts.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
In the field next to my flat there is a jackass, not knowing what the farmer calls him I christened him "fingers". A couple of fields over there are two donkeys, one is of course Theresa, what should I call the second one?...

LOL. It makes sense you have no land or imagination. X

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Not wanting to wish any ill on Gove, but if he was in need of an operation and contacted a consultant surgeon. I would like the surgeon to tell him to go and ask anyone walking past in the street to do the operation because he (Gove) had had enough of experts.
didn't he mean the people, not him?

Reactions: robdon and Nev

Advertisers