Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Thanks Flecc, I can assure you I treat your posts with equal respect and disdain.
You obviously listened to a different speech and read a different article. I wasnt criticising OG but the Guardian. But perhaps you are right, it may well have been an MEP lying about Farage. Which is even worse.
Using the word lying is a bit strong when someone is engaging in a live verbal debate. In his contribution, Farage had just insulted that MP ,so maybe his comment was confused.

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
[QUOTE="

Verhofstadt claimed Farage wanted an extension to article 50 in order to keep Britain in the EU, so he can continue to have his MEP’s salary and transfer it into an offshore company.

?
[/QUOTE]
What are you getting at? the paper reported what had been said without commenting and for your education this is my original post in it's entirety
Today at 8:14 AM
#49,538

Here for your delectation a tale of Mr Toad's cunning Tax Dodge
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ge-company-thorn-in-the-side-assets-up-400000

Note: no comment from me required, is it?

And you failed completely to understand the message, didn't you?

I was more interested in this
"The MEP has previously admitted setting up a trust fund in an offshore tax haven that could have enabled him to cut his tax bill. Farage, who condemned tax avoiders in a speech to the European parliament, said in 2013 that he paid a tax adviser to set up the Farage Family Educational Trust 1654 in the Isle of Man. He has denied benefiting from the arrangement and said he made a loss.

Farage complained in 2017 that he was “53, separated and skint” in an interview with the Daily Mail, adding: “There’s no money in politics.”"
When the headline read this
"
'Skint' Nigel Farage's company assets grew almost £400k last year
Brexiter’s firm had assets of £548,573 five months after MEP claimed he had no money

And you were so busy trying to attack me you missed the Elephant in the room despite my broad hint
"a tale of Mr Toad's cunning Tax Dodge"

You disappoint me as usual.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
At best it was bad grammar and comprehension from groaner. Quite possible but for me it seemed to be making Farage say something he didn't.

When you quote stuff you should quote the whole thing or it can be duplicitous at best.
I read it immediately after he posted it and didn't see any distortion or attempt at it. The meaning was absolutely clear.

And he linked to the article so it could be seen in it's entirety, enabling me to read it all.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
His implication was clear. Anyone who had seen the Farage clip knew he hadn't said that.

At best it was bad grammar and comprehension from groaner. Quite possible but for me it seemed to be making Farage say something he didn't.

When you quote stuff you should quote the whole thing or it can be duplicitous at best.

Or maybe even, and this is a long shot for him. Have an original thought.
Where does the bad grammar come in? I wasn't even alluding to the speech, just his dodgy claims to be skint with a company rolling in money, and both you and Zlatan ignored that to pick a fight!

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I read it immediately after he posted it and didn't see any distortion or attempt at it. The meaning was absolutely clear.

And he linked to the article so it could be seen in it's entirety, enabling me to read it all.
I though I made myself clear with "
a tale of Mr Toad's cunning Tax Dodge"
Clearly it wasn't simple enough, and yet it was the headline!

This Forum is like the House of Commons, you can't get a decent opposition, just a circus act:D

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Thanks Flecc, I can assure you I treat your posts with equal respect and disdain.
You obviously listened to a different speech and read a different article. I wasnt criticising OG but the Guardian. But perhaps you are right, it may well have been an MEP lying about Farage. Which is even worse.
First time I have been attacked with "Instant Uncriticism" is it some form of "collateral damage"?:cool:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
"Zlatan, post: 490846, member: 19142"
"

Verhofstadt claimed Farage wanted an extension to article 50 in order to keep Britain in the EU, so he can continue to have his MEP’s salary and transfer it into an offshore company.

?
This is a complete fabrication by Verhofstadt. Yet the Guardian reported it and then linked those comments to Farage's swelling bank account and even printed amounts. You might think thats good journalism. It isnt.
It was done in an effort to discredit Farage and you know it but it supports your view of him so forget the truth.
Why give links to lies OG?
I have covered this there was no lie it was not even the point I was trying to make anyway

Farage's bank account is a matter or record not lies or fabrications so where is the lie?
Stop digging the water is coming in
Spare yourself further embarassment

Last edited:

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
[QUOTE="

?
This is a complete fabrication by Verhofstadt. Yet the Guardian reported it and then linked those comments to Farage's swelling bank account and even printed amounts. You might think thats good journalism. It isnt.
It was done in an effort to discredit Farage and you know it but it supports your view of him so forget the truth.
Why give links to lies OG?[/QUOTE]

Once again - Guardian reported what Farage said and what Verhofstadt said both in public - as journalists have a habit of doing when reporting on events.

Would you have prefered them to have ommited what one or the other said?

Again which video of the EU debate did you watch? - as I mentioned before RT.com (funnily enough ;-) had a one-sided video published on WooTube featuring just Farage prattling on and NOT Verhofstadt's response. If you did just so happen to watch the rt.com version no wonder you worked yourself into a lather that there was more to it when OG posted what he did.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
post after post after post from the same poster.....

How lonely can one person be to converse with himself? Or is it arrogance that everything he reads he feels compelled to copy and paste it on here? Spamming every page with his brain farts.

Does he have a single original thought or is he just a parrot?
Do you ever stop trolling? I get the attempt to bully others off the thread. I find it quite reprehensible.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Someone on TV brought this idea up. All the various plans are presented to the HoC and voted on. Lets say there are 8 different plans. At the end of the voting session the plan with the least votes is scrapped.

The process then re starts but this time with only 7 plans being voted for, and once again the plan with the least number of votes is dropped. Eventually they get down to just one plan remaining, as sort of last man standing system. Seemed like a reasonable idea, the problem is TM will be giving up what little control she currently has, so I don't suppose it will fly.

Anyone any thoughts on it?
May I point out a slight drawback? we are down to one plan already, and only one person wants that
It's all very democratic on the "one person, one vote" principle
TM is the one person and she has the one vote.
looked at logically she can't fail to get her plan accepted can she.?

Sorry, just my sense of humour getting out of hand, horrifically it is too close to the truth for comfort.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Do you ever stop trolling? I get the attempt to bully others off the thread. I find it quite reprehensible.
I take the presence of these camp followers as an encouraging sign of the popularity of the thread, and it does give us a golden opportunity to help them undermine the leave cause, each time they come up with what they believe is a convincing reason that makes Brexit a good idea, that is so easily shot down.
That's why we get the sniping from them, frustration has set in.

• Agree

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
I thought 12 posts a day was bad.

Try 9 in a single page!

Got to be a record and its not done yet.

You watch.

Reactions: Zlatan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I thought 12 posts a day was bad.

Try 9 in a single page!

Got to be a record and its not done yet.

You watch.
Hardly his fault, five of the posts were responses to attacks and the others commenting on the attacks.

Simple answer to those ganging up, stop attacking at every imagined opportunity.

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Someone on TV brought this idea up. All the various plans are presented to the HoC and voted on. Lets say there are 8 different plans. At the end of the voting session the plan with the least votes is scrapped.

The process then re starts but this time with only 7 plans being voted for, and once again the plan with the least number of votes is dropped. Eventually they get down to just one plan remaining, as sort of last man standing system. Seemed like a reasonable idea, the problem is TM will be giving up what little control she currently has, so I don't suppose it will fly.

Anyone any thoughts on it?
This is proportional representation!. A very good way of doing business.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Right ,the facts of the tiff between OG ,Fingers ,Zlathan. The BBC is currently broadcasting it....
The entire debate of 13th. March shown in sequence has Guy V. Making assertions about Nigel F. These assertions were robust and suggested that he had an interest in disrupting the EU and an interest in making money from it. After a number of other speakers presented their views Nigel F had a right of reply,..which is the piece presented in the RT segement. In this he with some level of humour refuted Guy, V s position.
The Guardian reported this correctly.
No lies, no bad faith...
Both parties OG on one side,and the combined forces on the other side,need to kiss and make up

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Wicky and flecc

Advertisers