Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Just another of these exasperated facts. The ERG made a comment today that they would be guided by the DUPs assessment of the Cox interpretation.,on the grounds that they speak for Ulster... Well that is highly contestable. The DUP has at most 10 of the 18 MPs . The Province of NI voted strongly against Leaving the EU. The Assembly of NI has never met to discuss this topic, a situation engineered and facilitated by the DUP. All the public and civil society organisations in NI ...including Farmers, Busineess, major employers, Universities have come out against a no deal and no backstop scenarios.
I share this exasperation with Nicola Sturgeon, who is finding that her 59 MPs are being ignored ,and who at least operates a functioning Assembly

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thursday, parliament will vote for an Art50 extension....maybe the EU will give us a 21month extension,that will suit May,keeps her in office and lots more road to kick the can.
the Speaker may allow a motion on 'Common Market 2.0' - that may come out best and even a majority.
When people speak of our democratic system, what democracy when we can't even test a motion like that.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Just another of these exasperated facts. The ERG made a comment today that they would be guided by the DUPs assessment of the Cox interpretation.,on the grounds that they speak for Ulster... Well that is highly contestable. The DUP has at most 10 of the 18 MPs . The Province of NI voted strongly against Leaving the EU. The Assembly of NI has never met to discuss this topic, a situation engineered and facilitated by the DUP. All the public and civil society organisations in NI ...including Farmers, Busineess, major employers, Universities have come out against a no deal and no backstop scenarios.
I share this exasperation with Nicola Sturgeon, who is finding that her 59 MPs are being ignored ,and who at least operates a functioning Assembly

You seem angry Dani.

Take a breath mate. Life is too short to worry about other countries affairs you can do nothing about.

Exasperation of things out of your control will only lead to ulcters.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
And so they should be. That woman is an irritating, monotonous, opportunistic idiot.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
You seem angry Dani.

Take a breath mate. Life is too short to worry about other countries affairs you can do nothing about.

Exasperation of things out of your control will only lead to ulcters.
Ahh.. but the people of Ulster ARE my people,and it is my country My Grandfather was born in Antrim. . Just as I see Tommie as a fellow Irishman. But yes I have no control or influence on how the UK votes.
As a further aside Sammy Wilson in the HoC, stated, correctly that at the time of the Referendum,the issue of the GFA did not arise..But it was the duty of his party to do so. The EU and RoI kept out of what was recognised as an internal matter.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That women has succeeded in keeping an assembly in operation, a feat beyond her colleague in NI
She seems to have aMarmite personality, some really disliking her. Tillson in here was often saying the same as 50Hertz.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
She seems to have aMarmite personality, some really disliking her. Tillson in here was often saying the same as 50Hertz.
Ahh Sturgeon, nasty, overbearing piece of work..

krankies.jpg

Hey Dan, do calm down!
Relax, ....think of those balmy summer evenings back at the Chateau, birds singing, quaffing an extremely fine Beaujolais Nouveau, the delights of french cuisine, Motus on charge - what`s not to like?? !! Crash out?? - forget it!

Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Here for the befit of our leave fans why it's all the fault of the EU using their logical processes (Assuming they have any)

You have to laugh to think leavers haven't woke up and seen the mess they have got us into, and some are even thick enough to cover their guilt by blaming remainers who have had no part whatever is this mess they've made.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and POLLY

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Ahh Sturgeon, nasty, overbearing piece of work..

View attachment 29462

Hey Dan, do calm down!
Relax, ....think of those balmy summer evenings back at the Chateau, birds singing, quaffing an extremely fine Beaujolais Nouveau, the delights of french cuisine, Motus on charge - what`s not to like?? !! Crash out?? - forget it!
Why is she a nasty overbearing piece of work?
Because she can't be bought like the DUP?

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Ok, i can see i need to explain this. The fact that you think we read your posts as part of taking an interest in what you drive is what made your post sad. Almost as sad as construing international trade relations as poker. Hint,hollywood pulp is not a good reference for life in an adult world
Shut up Tom. I havent had to leave because of vile posts and reincarnate myself as another old fool as you have.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The leavers don't have to attack remainers, they seem to do a good job themselves:

Jacob Rees-Mogg was raising a point that he raised with Geoffrey Cox, when the attorney general made his statement to MPs earlier (see 1.29pm), in his intervention a few minutes ago. (See 6.57pm.)

Rees-Mogg was trying to get Stephen Barclay, the Brexit secretary, to confirm that article 62 of the Vienna convention allows a country to abandon a treaty in extreme circumstances.

Cox did say that. But, as you can see from his full quote, Cox also said it would be “unwise’ to try to exercise this right. He said:

As I have pointed out to the House, there is a right for the United Kingdom to terminate this agreement. If fundamental circumstances change, in the view of the United Kingdom, it would attempt to resolve the matter within the joint committee and it would attempt to resolve it politically, but if, ultimately, with the sovereign right of this House and of the British government at the time, the United Kingdom took the view that those fundamental circumstances had indeed changed, it would have an undoubted legal right to withdrawal from any treaty.

Let us be clear about these kinds of absolute interpretations of black-letter text. A sovereign state has the right to withdraw if a treaty is no longer compatible with its fundamental interests or, to put it a different way, if fundamental circumstances have changed. I would say that apart from that, of course this country could resile from its commitments, but it would be unwise and it would not be in the tradition of this country to do so. In those circumstances, it is perfectly true that the only remedies the [European] Union would have would be to take countermeasures, and no doubt it would pollute the atmosphere for fruitful relationships between us, which is precisely why this country will never do it, and neither would the European Union.

Later Cox put it in even stronger terms, saying this approach would just be “wrong”. He said:

We are permitted, in a case of fundamental change of circumstances, to withdraw by the law. If such a change of circumstance came about—either because of some fundamental political change in Northern Ireland or some fundamental change of circumstance going to the essential basis of the agreement—then we would have the right to withdraw. But in all normal, envisageable and predictable circumstances, particularly while we are negotiating a subsequent agreement to the pace and accelerated timetable that this instrument now requires, we would not do so and it would be wrong to do so—wrong because it would be a breach of our obligations and wrong because this is a law-abiding country.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/mar/12/brexit-mps-vote-theresa-may-backstop-deal-jeremy-corbyn-politics-live#comment-126752914

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
May: I will vote against a no-deal Brexit
Withdrawal Agreement Debate

House of Commons
Parliament
She tells MPs that she has personally wrestled with the issue but says she is conscious of the "potential damage" leaving the EU without a deal would do.
She says she will urge the Commons to vote against a no-deal Brexit.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
How curious. Fancy meeting two brexitters on the same forum with a fetish for that great scottish sex object. You couldnt possibly be suggesting what i think you are?

Advertisers