Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Why would a uk domain wish to be trading under false pretences?.
Not necessarily the case. As a private individual I always disliked my flecc.co.uk domain name since I'm not a "co". So as someone supportive of the EU and long before the referendum I was going to switch to the .eu domain and no doubt many other individuals use it.

As it happened just in time the options were at last improved to allow .uk without the unnecessary "co" included. As the owner of flecc.co.uk I had first call on flecc.uk reserved if I wished to take it up so I added it.

Reactions: robdon

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
The key question is why would a uk company be seeking to trade under false pretences. Using .eu rather than .co.uk, for a website operating from the soon to be non EU UK is fraudulent.
For the same reasons that French, German, Spanish, Italian, Polish and other .eu nations trade under .co.uk domains. It’s purely convenience for me, it’s immediately obvious that I’m U.K. based as soon as you go on the site. I don’t and won’t do business outside the uk anyway, so I have nothing to gain from .eu other than having to change to .co.uk, which I own as well.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
For the same reasons that French, German, Spanish, Italian, Polish and other .eu nations trade under .co.uk domains. It’s purely convenience for me, it’s immediately obvious that I’m U.K. based as soon as you go on the site. I don’t and won’t do business outside the uk anyway, so I have nothing to gain from .eu other than having to change to .co.uk, which I own as well.
Not so many of them do... I am constantly coming across suffix ,ie, pl,de,es fr on websites. But the point of course is that with free movement of goods and services under EU principles, any website could use any other host within the EU. Hat is yet another service the UK is walking away from.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
No, Strato the German hosting company are fine and doing their best to help and find a solution. It’s the peevish EU that I find quite unpleasant.
The EU has nothing to do with domains, that is US guarded territory, would you like the DNS gods e-mail address?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Another diversionary tactic to announce this at this time
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/british-nuclear-waste-facility-could-be-located-near-newry-1.3784563

British nuclear waste facility could be located near Newry
Newry is being considered as a possible location to store the UK’s nuclear refuse

The question is which faction is behind this announcement and what do they hope to gain from it?
It sounds as phony as they come.
Perhaps the RoI would want a border reinstated? Made of lead.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The following comes from todays Irish times...
The significance is that the DUP, is making the running for NI without any checks or balances ,as might happen with a local parliament.

"A new opinion poll suggests that voters in Northern Ireland are deeply dissatisfied with the British government's handling of Brexit.

The IPSOS/MRBI survey for the Irish Times also found that a clear majority of those questioned want to stay in the single market and customs union in order to avoid a hard border.

With the Brexit deadline fast approaching, the poll suggests there is a great deal of unease among voters in Northern Ireland, something which could put the DUP under big pressure, given it keeps the British government in power.

The poll found that 77% of those questioned were dissatisfied with UK government's performance on Brexit.

And 67% of those questioned expressed dissatisfaction with the way in which the DUP was representing Northern Ireland at Westminster

The results show a clear desire for a soft Brexit, among those who expressed an opinion.

More than two thirds of those questioned (67%) said they wanted the UK to stay in single market and customs union to ensure no hard border on the island of Ireland.

Around 59% said they would like Northern Ireland to have a special arrangement with the EU, even if this meant some checks between Northern Ireland and Britain.

The voters who were polled were also asked about holding a referendum on Irish unification, but only 37% thought it was a good idea.

If held, only 32% of those questioned said they would vote yes, while 45% would vote no.

Just over 530 people (536) were questioned for the Irish Times poll and while representative, it is a smaller number than usual, and accounts for a higher margin of error rate than usual of 4.3%.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
In the Daily Mail

The spoof snowflake who made a fool of the Lefties: 'Titania's' right-on Twitter nonsense was swallowed by an army of gullible followers... but she's really the satirical creation of a (male) Oxford academic, writes SARAH VINE
  • Titania McGrath on Twitter claimed to be radical vegan and woke feminist poet
  • In reality, she was created by Andrew Doyle, a former private school teacher, 40
  • Sarah Vine says secret of the character’s success is, of course, her plausibility
Fascinating insight into the mentality of the author:
Lies and cheating are not immoral if they are in support of a political objective the paper supports.

Had this idiot academic been spoofing the Right wing, this would not have appeared in this paper, or if it did have been presented a "Dreadful left wing evil plot"

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The poll found that 77% of those questioned were dissatisfied with UK government's performance on Brexit.
I find it astonishing that even 23% are, it appears, satisfied - or did not express an opinion. In my view, it has been terrible from the very start and has (mostly) got worse.

Were I a rabid brexit supporter, I'd be deeply unhappy with it.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Exclusive in the Daily Telegraph!
"ExclusiveJacob Rees-Mogg says Conservative Government is not right wing

What manner of beast purporting to be a political party stands thus revealed before us then?

(apologies for the misquote, but you get the picture?)
The problem you face is this. With the advent of the internet, it is now possible to find “evidence” which supports any idea, prejudice or conspiracy theory, no matter how absurd it might be. If you believe that Jacob Rees Mogg is a right wing maniac, you will find evidence on the Internet to support that belief. If you believe that Jeremy Corbyn is a right wing maniac in disguise, again you will find evidence to support that idea. If you think Josef Mengele is the Medical Director of Great Ormand Street Hospital, you will find supporting evidence on the Internet to support your crazy notion. Any belief you hold can be satisfied with evidence obtained from the Internet. This is precisely what has happened to you. You hold certain views and ideas, you have discovered the Internet and now you are able to feed those notions by carefully selecting the appropriate evidence.

Often you will quote sources of information from publications which you have previously heavily criticised. You need to take a more reasonable and balanced view.

Reactions: Fingers

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The problem you face is this. With the advent of the internet, it is now possible to find “evidence” which supports any idea, prejudice or conspiracy theory, no matter how absurd it might be. If you believe that Jacob Rees Mogg is a right wing maniac, you will find evidence on the Internet to support that belief. If you believe that Jeremy Corbyn is a right wing maniac in disguise, again you will find evidence to support that idea. If you think Josef Mengele is the Medical Director of Great Ormand Street Hospital, you will find supporting evidence on the Internet to support your crazy notion. Any belief you hold can be satisfied with evidence obtained from the Internet. This is precisely what has happened to you. You hold certain views and ideas, you have discovered the Internet and now you are able to feed those notions by carefully selecting the appropriate evidence.

Often you will quote sources of information from publications which you have previously heavily criticised. You need to take a more reasonable and balanced view.
In your humble and let's face biassed opinion, my opinions are in fact based on rather more than the scraps from the internet I post on here, they are for illustration purposes only, for information , and possibly the guidance of both the wise and the fools we have gathered along the way.

You simply can't hang so simplistic a label on me as you seem determined to do. You are flattering yourself excessively in thinking you are either wise enough or intelligent enough to do that.

You are far too inconsistent and unaware when you contradict yourself, as in

"Often you will quote sources of information from publications which you have previously heavily criticised. You need to take a more reasonable and balanced view."

Great Oxymoron there! for that is indeed taking a reasonable and balanced view when quoting varied sources to a person with intelligence.
After all, even you can't be wrong all the time, no matter how hard you evidently try.
May I suggest you pick on an easier target with the sort of comments in your post?
Perhaps a liberal application of your advertised polish might help too?

Ignoring your little off topic rant, can you confirm that you disagree with my post in some way?
Are you saying Rees Mogg is correct and the Conservatives are not Right Wing?

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I find it astonishing that even 23% are, it appears, satisfied - or did not express an opinion. In my view, it has been terrible from the very start and has (mostly) got worse.

Were I a rabid brexit supporter, I'd be deeply unhappy with it.
Again,like other people away from NI, the subtleties of the situation may be defeating you. There is a clever song by Colum Sands describing the mindset of people who were under seige or occupation.. "Whatever you say,say nothing" ..that could easily account for 10% .There are others including flat earthers everywhere , and there are still others for whome the link with the UK is a sacred trust, so sacred that even if betrayed,they dare not utter complaint,or it might make it true.

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

It is probably appropriate for OG make his own reply, but of course there is truth in what you say,there is "evidence" available on line to refute every and any position. Fortunately the same god who made the internet, also provided us with a grey blob between our ears , and an ability to discern fact from fiction. It is our duty to use that blob.

Reactions: Nev and robdon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
As day 15 of the countdown to the crashout arrives,and with the Rugby weekend that is in it,and mindful of the engagement by the UKs AG with Brussels,I am reminded of those lines from the Scottish Rugby anthem... " And sent him homewards to think again"

• Agree

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
It is probably appropriate for OG make his own reply, but of course there is truth in what you say,there is "evidence" available on line to refute every and any position. Fortunately the same god who made the internet, also provided us with a grey blob between our ears , and an ability to discern fact from fiction. It is our duty to use that blob.
I take your point, but the grey blob is the weakness in the information system . It’s highly fallible and prone to external emotional interference. It CAN believe only what it wants to believe. I’m sure that some of the people who have carried out the worst of crimes or made the most catastrophic of errors did so in the sound belief that they were acting correctly. Those crimes and errors will be based on selecting only those inputs which satisfy and confirm the picture of the world that they hold. It happens all the time and it is a classic human failure. Those who deny it and don’t appreciate the concept are a most dangerous person to have around you.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I take your point, but the grey blob is the weakness in the information system . It’s highly fallible and prone to external emotional interference. It CAN believe only what it wants to believe. I’m sure that some of the people who have carried out the worst of crimes or made the most catastrophic of errors did so in the sound belief that they were acting correctly. Those crimes and errors will be based on selecting only those inputs which satisfy and confirm the picture of the world that they hold. It happens all the time and it is a classic human failure. Those who deny it and don’t appreciate the concept are a most dangerous person to have around you.
A perfect description of the followers of the three Abrahamic religions over time.

And of course they will deny it.

Advertisers