Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
On this matter, yes, they did launch wonky veg quite a while ago, and I have occasionally bought some. And yes, I have seen some promotion but cannot remember when.

The combination of erratic availability and them being over-priced (in my opinion) has meant that I do not seek them out.

However, I do agree that their recent promotion is likely a preparation for brexit.

Added:

I do remember this Guardian article from 2015: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/nov/09/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall-rejects-morissons-pathetic-wonky-veg-trial
There were six commercials for "Wonky " veg within one hour last night on the Forces Channel alone.

Reactions: robdon

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Not being funny ...…..but most people in this Café would walk out with nothing at
all and eat somewhere else......Wouldn't they ??
I wish (and hope), I know its a refrain, but we need the crisis to deepen while Europe (gradually with bumps) pulls further out of its economic woes. One thing we don't need is May's fudge, which I'm sure her g4s OH had much to do with spawning

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Not being funny ...…..but most people in this Café would walk out with nothing at
What somewhere else? they are afraid of no deal...May's deal will get signed in the end

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the nearest cafe is on the other side of the Atlantic and run by DT.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
the nearest cafe is on the other side of the Atlantic and run by DT.
Still feeling sleepy, my built in automatic Word association kicked in and threw up
Delirium Tremens. Come to think of it , it fits quite well! :oops:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Telegraph
Attorney General Geoffrey Cox abandons time-limit and unilateral exit clause for Brexit backstop

Ministers briefed on Geoffrey Cox's approach said those aims, which represent the central demands of Eurosceptics, are considered too "blunt" and have been rejected by the European Union.
Some Cabinet ministers are already resigned to the Prime Minister losing a second meaningful vote on her deal amid concerns that changes to the backstop secured by Mr Cox will not be sufficient to win round Brexiteers..

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Yes foreign with the help of the then Irish government ie gun-running for the IRA with participants Haughey and Blaney as you well know
Tommie, I don't want to recycle old discredited tropes, but neither of those men were present at Burntollet Bridge,or when streets in Belfast were burned down, or when the events of Bloody Sunday occurred. There was no IRA is existence at those times. Moreover, not a single weapon appeared on the Island of Ireland as a result of their behaviour. The violence in NI was home grown,not imported. The British Army were sent in by the UK government to prevent slaughter of vocal minority.
Despite a number of your postings, I do not know your age, and whether these events are things you experienced or have just read about, but I lived through them.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm sure we'll find a way of putting that wrong. ;)

Human stupidity always has a way of triumphing.
you mean get lucky like winning the lottery or the x-factor?

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
A long as AI is created by humans it will never be intelligent.
What happens when computers start creating their own software? I have a mate with a Phd in Computer Science he says people have been saying self aware computers will be with us in the next 10 to 15 years, but also people have been saying this for about 30 years. So he says it might never happen, but also that it could happen next week, so not very helpful really. Still with global warming and a WTO Brexit to worry about I don't think I have the capacity to worry about AI robots taking over the world.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Google says:
if we model brain as a simple neural network, then it would be equivalent to machine that performs 10^16 operations per second. They estimate that simulation of the whole human brain would require supercomputer with about 500 petabytes of memory. Current record in one system is 1.5 petabytes (Sequoia supercomputer).
At the current rate of progress, I suppose computer will beat a baby's brain in one generation.

Reactions: robdon and Nev

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Google says:
They estimate that simulation of the whole human brain would require supercomputer with about 500 petabytes of memory. Current record in one system is 1.5 petabytes (Sequoia supercomputer).
I'm not a computer expert by any means, but would an AI programme not use lots of computers (possibly via the internet) so that it would have lots of computer power available? Perhaps it could also make use of quantum computers? I read recently that AI systems are now starting to design new AI systems, and that they are now solving problems with a high degree of success. The programmers however aren't exactly sure how some of these programmes are actually going about solving these problems. As these programmes get more and more complex I wonder if they might eventually become so sophisticated that humans will no longer be able to truly understand how they operate we will just have to accept that they provide correct answers most of the time.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I'm not a computer expert by any means, but would an AI programme not use lots of computers (possibly via the internet) so that it would have lots of computer power available? Perhaps it could also make use of quantum computers? I read recently that AI systems are now starting to design new AI systems, and that they are now solving problems with a high degree of success. The programmers however aren't exactly sure how some of these programmes are actually going about solving these problems. As these programmes get more and more complex I wonder if they might eventually become so sophisticated that humans will no longer be able to truly understand how they operate we will just have to accept that they provide correct answers most of the time.
What is fascinating is the thought that we have such an enourmous neural network inside every Human Skull., and despite this theoretically incredible internal "thinking" capability
Live in a world of delusion, confusion, indecision, and often downright stupidity.

logic suggests that we should really try to master the monster within us before we create an uncontrollable and flawed copy , and endanger what we have the capabilty of becoming within ourselves.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm not a computer expert by any means, but would an AI programme not use lots of computers (possibly via the internet) so that it would have lots of computer power available?
they do that already. If you watch the last episode of BBC Click, 5G was deployed to connect a racing car going round a track at 200mph to the computer that controls it and other cars and lorries on the same track. In the near future, that's what they'll do for driverless cars, some are local processing other functions offloaded to the network. However, fast forward a few years, the vehicle computer will be mostly self reliant.
Perhaps it could also make use of quantum computers?
that remains a theoretical possibility which has been demonstrated (qubit or qbit) but our understanding of the physics is nowhere good enough to make a quantum computer. I reckon that may take a few centuries.
The programmers however aren't exactly sure how some of these programmes are actually going about solving these problems.
they are still based on neural net, which is a statistical approach to problem solving, called 'universal approximation theorem', on top of normal multithreading programming flow.

In the mathematical theory of artificial neural networks, the universal approximation theorem states[1] that a feed-forward network with a single hidden layer containing a finite number of neurons can approximate continuous functions on compact subsets of Rn, under mild assumptions on the activation function. The theorem thus states that simple neural networks canrepresent a wide variety of interesting functions when given appropriate parameters; however, it does not touch upon the algorithmic learnability of those parameters.
As these programmes get more and more complex I wonder if they might eventually become so sophisticated that humans will no longer be able to truly understand how they operate we will just have to accept that they provide correct answers most of the time.
that's already the case.

Reactions: robdon and Nev

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What is fascinating is the thought that we have such an enourmous neural network inside every Human Skull., and despite this theoretically incredible internal "thinking" capability
Live in a world of delusion, confusion, indecision, and often downright stupidity.

logic suggests that we should really try to master the monster within us before we create an uncontrollable and flawed copy , and endanger what we have the capabilty of becoming within ourselves.
we don't create a flawed copy. The method used for building AI mimics human common sense.

Advertisers