Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Someone tried to cancel the real "Brexit Bonuses" (but failed to get it passed)
https://evolvepolitics.com/theresa-may-cancels-key-brexit-vote-because-amendment-to-name-and-shame-tax-avoiders-was-going-to-pass/
Theresa May cancels key Brexit vote because amendment to name and shame tax avoiders was going to pass
The Prime Minister, Theresa May, has come in for severe criticism after cancelling a crucial vote on a key piece of Brexit legislation after it became clear that a cross-party amendment – to essentially name and shame the bosses of tax avoiding companies – was going to succeed.
A vote on the government’s Financial Services Bill – a key piece of legislation needed before the UK leaves the EU – had been scheduled for tonight.
However, after MPs put forward an amendment to make British-controlled tax havens more transparent, the bill has now completely disappeared from today’s House of Commons Order of Business.

Pure co-incidence?? er no.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Here it's a question of space, something that organisation needs enough of. None of the builders merchants I know of in South London have anything like enough to properly organise. It's just a case of making do in very difficult circumstances. I think you'd be staggered just how awkward it can be.

But I return to the same point. Self drive cars cannot do and will never do all the things we use our vehicles for. Infrastructure isn't the answer since we could never install it for every circumstance in a world where we can't even repair our heavily potholed roads.

And why would the authorities spend vast sums on it to suit the car companies and enthusiastic politicians, while knowing that almost all drivers don't want self drive anyway. It wouldn't remove all accidents, just reduce them, and given how low our accident statistics are in Britain it wouldn't be financially justified.

To me this whole business is like all the confident predictions we've had for many years about refrigerators that re-order food and homes that clean themselves. Fanciful pipe dreams that will never be realised.

It's far more likely that we will eventually be forced to give up personal cars and use an extended public transport system, perhaps incorporating something like Google cars as part of it. But that of course will not provide anything like all the things we use our cars for, as I've been insisting. Our lives will have been impoverished.
Automotive transport is a topic which does not actually interest me. Sad perhaps in a male, but there you are .

Reactions: flecc and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
clear thinking from Martin Howe, the QC who advises the ERG.

Conservative MPs who sank the agreement in January have been told to stand firm in next week’s repeat “meaningful vote” – even if the price is an extension of the Article 50 exit notice until the end of 2020.

it's a bit late in the day though.
I reckon if they follow his advice, we may end up with a second referendum in a year.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-delay-theresa-may-deal-tory-leave-eu-article-50-european-research-group-a8807466.html

Martin Howe said:

The problem with May’s deal is that it poisons Brexit by closing off the freedom of action which is the whole point of Brexit, and drains away its advantages.
If Brexit supporters are complicit in miring the UK for a decade or a generation in such a terrible vassal arrangement with the EU, inevitably calls will grow for us to re-join the EU in order at least to get back a vote on the rules which we have to follow.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Grayling has developed a cult following in the USA
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/03/world/europe/grayling-ferries-uk.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes
How Does He Survive? The Curious Case of ‘Failing Grayling’
"He has bumbled his way from one government post to another, accused of making a hash of each, and becoming a byword for haplessness in a golden age of political blundering in Britain. "
I want to see grayling as the next tory prime minister, with Boris as his chancelor

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
even if TM still insists on keeping no deal on the table, not many believe in the benefit of no deal.

Toyota's top man in Europe has this to say:

Toyota has no plan today to withdraw from the UK and stop production but a hard Brexit will create a “mountain” sized challenge for its British plants to remain competitive.

That sums up the position of foreign owned plants that sell to Europe. No more new models will be added to the plant.

The government could not guarantee the UK would be covered by “most” of the EU’s global network of trade agreements after Brexit — even if parliament approved Theresa May’s divorce deal with Brussels.

https://www.ft.com/content/368a3b68-3ea4-11e9-9bee-efab61506f44

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Tory MPs will be given free vote on no deal brexit next week.
Anyone fancies a guess? 500/150 to remove no deal from the table?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the trend of foreign manufacturing companies divesting from the UK will still continue, whichever brexit scenario.
Ivan Rogers said that Norway does not want UK to join EFTA.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Even if we decide on a second vote and decide to remain I wonder how much damage we have already done to our economy,credibility and our image on the world stage. Also damage at home because the government have not properly been running our country for the last 3 years.
KudosDave
it's difficult to say. One thing for certain, the Pound has lost about 15% against major currencies so you could say we are already 15% poorer.
On the other hand, it may be a blessing that the tories have not cut much more on public services in the last 3 years because they are too busy with brexit.
Apparently, foreigners have invested about £1 trillion in the UK. Even if remain wins at the second referendum, foreign owned businesses will continue to cut back on their investments.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Apparently, foreigners have invested about £1 trillion in the UK. Even if remain wins at the second referendum, foreign owned businesses will continue to cut back on their investments.
Indeed, confidence and trust take years to build, but days to lose.

They will see that we are no longer the same stable and reliable country we once were.

Advertisers