Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have a real issue with this because it has spilled over into other EU countries - Le Pen is just translating much of the brexit tripe into French and passing it off as her own "program".
it's good for the EU that the FN copies the brexiteers because the EU will have to deal with the subtext of those views asap.
Maybe a law to deal with FB, the new empire.
I think there is nil chance France leaving the EU.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Seems the French have run with it rather well. Its muted counting burning cars in France is a much better indication of voter's moods.
https://qz.com/877789/french-car-burning-on-new-years-eve-has-increased-for-the-first-time-in-four-years/

The French dont need any lessons in expressing disatisfaction.
I wouldn't get too complacent about that if was you, there are too many knife attacks going on in this country among our youth to be smug about the way the French behave.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Seems the French have run with it rather well. Its muted counting burning cars in France is a much better indication of voter's moods.
https://qz.com/877789/french-car-burning-on-new-years-eve-has-increased-for-the-first-time-in-four-years/

https://www.thelocal.fr/20180102/is-the-famous-french-tradition-of-torching-cars-dying-out

Cant find article online but according to Economist (this weeks) a couple of French ministers have had homes torched aswell. All is not well in France, but somebody is bound to blame Brexit.
:D You never quite got the hang of the French way of doing things did you?

About 33% of burnt cars are insurance fraud. Say you have a car you want to get rid of and which has more insurance value than resale value (a diesel for example), you park it for the night at a "hot spot" and slip a 50€ note to a local person who will take care of it during the night.

The extreme right has taken to attacking elected members of parliament and that is a worrying anti-democratic new turn of events. Remember Mme Cox? So not a French speciality. Watch what is going to happen in the US in the coming months.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Anyone caught up with driving offences post-brexit?

I believe that offences in this list:
  • Speeding
  • Drink/drug driving
  • Seatbelt/crash helmet
  • Red light/forbidden lane, and
  • Mobile phone offences
... can require exchange of driver details, etc. by DVLA.

I guess (and that is all it is) that EU drivers who come to the UK will be able to get away with some offences in future. And the same for UK drivers in the EU.
It's always been the case that the individual laws in each country have to be complied with. I don't see that changing on leaving the EU.

Some EU drivers have been getting away with lesser offences where the police don't bother to follow up or even prosecute.

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
:D You never quite got the hang of the French way of doing things did you?

About 33% of burnt cars are insurance fraud. Say you have a car you want to get rid of and which has more insurance value than resale value (a diesel for example), you park it for the night at a "hot spot" and slip a 50€ note to a local person who will take care of it during the night.

The extreme right has taken to attacking elected members of parliament and that is a worrying anti-democratic new turn of events. Remember Mme Cox? So not a French speciality. Watch what is going to happen in the US in the coming months.
Yes, I know, I read the links I provided.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It's always been the case that the individual laws in each country have to be complied with. I don't see that changing on leaving the EU.

Some EU drivers have been getting away with lesser offences where the police don't bother to follow up or even prosecute.
I think the question relates more to the newer practice of appending penalty points to the licence. Sending user data outside the EU will run foul of the newer data protection directives. It is only very recently that the computer systems in NI and RoI were aligned to allow the transfer of penalty point information across the Island.
Now in the absence of this police ,could simply impound the vehicle, for each offence by a non national licence holder, but the holding pens would make the truck parks needed at Dover ,look like playpens.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You never quite got the hang of the French way of doing things did you?
my Simca Aronde was blown up by my student friends on the campus so that we could watch it burn!
it did save the towing fees to 'la casse'.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Of course, the laws in each country have to be obeyed. But when they are not, we currently have a means of at least trying to chase offenders. In the future, I suspect we will lose that.

Many years ago, a friend of mine had both English and German driving licences and would simply produce the "foreign" one to the police when stopped for speeding. They pretty much couldn't be bothered to do anything about it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Many years ago, a friend of mine had both English and German driving licences and would simply produce the "foreign" one to the police when stopped for speeding. They pretty much couldn't be bothered to do anything about it.
Well that's largely what happens now with EU drivers, the police only chasing the most serious offenders, where they are normally successful.

I'm sure that will continue, the extradition treaties will still be in place, but the extradition might take a little longer with a bit more red tape. Generally I see police forces continuing to co-operate, since this is a two way street.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
I wouldn't get too complacent about that if was you, there are too many knife attacks going on in this country among our youth to be smug about the way the French behave.
Very true. The knifings in London have tended to be scum on scum, so not really of too much concern, but I am starting to read of random knifings now, which is more concerning.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Very true. The knifings in London have tended to be scum on scum, so not really of too much concern, but I am starting to read of random knifings now, which is more concerning.
Why does everyone pick on London with this issue?

For example Birmingham has a horrific knife crime problem, see any of the links in this Google page.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Why does everyone pick on London with this issue?.
Going out on a limb here, but could it be the case London is fast becoming a cesspit of ganglands?
this is only a couple of months into 2019 and here we have....

Stabbings in London in 2019
  • January 1 - Charlotte Huggins, 33, stabbed to death in Camberwell
  • January 1 - Tudor Simionov, 33, stabbed to death in Park Lane
  • January 1 - Two men - also security guards - aged 37 and 29, and a woman, aged 29, were also stabbed at the private party in Park Lane. They had come to Tudor's aid during the attack
  • January 5 - A mum in her 30s was fighting for her life and two others wounded in a triple stabbing in broad daylight in Leyton, East London on January 5. She was attacked in front of her two children
  • January 5 - Man, 26, found suffering from knife wounds in Newham
  • January 8 - Jaden Moodie, 14, stabbed to death in Waltham Forest
  • January 11 - Woman in her 50s stabbed in Wallington
  • January 19 - Two men, aged 20 and 18, attacked and stabbed in Edmonton
  • January 20 - Man, 57, found with stab injury in Kew
  • January 27 - Kamil Malysz, 34, stabbed to death in Acton
  • January 29 - Nedim Bilgin, 17, stabbed to death in Islington
  • February 3 - Two teens found with knife wounds "may have been attacked in Feltham Park", Met Police say
  • February 5 - Lajean Richards, 19, stabbed to death in Battersea
  • February 5 - Teenager, 18, rushed to hospital after being stabbed at around 1am on Drummond Street, near Euston station in central London.
  • February 6 - Teen boy stabbed on London bus in Hackney
  • February 8 - Two males - aged 16 and 28 years old – were found suffering from stab wounds in Wood Green
  • February 9 - Man, 23, in critical condition after being knifed in Neasden
  • February 9 - Boy, 16, suffers stab wound after a fight in Hayes
  • February 10 - Dennis Anderson, 39, stabbed to death in East Dulwich
  • February 18 - Man stabbed to death in Euston
  • February 21 - A 23-year-old man was stabbed to death in Lambeth.
  • February 22 - A teenager was knifed to death in Wood Green, North London, just after 8pm.
  • March 1 - A 17 year old girl was knifed to death in a playground in Romford. She was found dead on March 2.

• Agree
Reactions: 50Hertz

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Morrisons are fielding adverts for Sub standard Vegetables in advance of expectation of shortages after a no deal brexit under the title
"Naturally Wonky" Naturally wonderful.
Cute marketing to sell sub standard items and cover up another Brexit disadvantage
The Quality is going down and this is proof i it.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

https://www.thelocal.fr/20180102/is-the-famous-french-tradition-of-torching-cars-dying-out

Cant find article online but according to Economist (this weeks) a couple of French ministers have had homes torched aswell. All is not well in France, but somebody is bound to blame Brexit.
Not Brexit, but certainly the plotters behind the whole international plot Brexit is a small part of.
Your victim complex is showing again.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Going out on a limb here, but could it be the case London is fast becoming a cesspit of ganglands?
this is only a couple of months into 2019 and here we have....

Stabbings in London in 2019
  • January 1 - Charlotte Huggins, 33, stabbed to death in Camberwell
  • January 1 - Tudor Simionov, 33, stabbed to death in Park Lane
  • January 1 - Two men - also security guards - aged 37 and 29, and a woman, aged 29, were also stabbed at the private party in Park Lane. They had come to Tudor's aid during the attack
  • January 5 - A mum in her 30s was fighting for her life and two others wounded in a triple stabbing in broad daylight in Leyton, East London on January 5. She was attacked in front of her two children
  • January 5 - Man, 26, found suffering from knife wounds in Newham
  • January 8 - Jaden Moodie, 14, stabbed to death in Waltham Forest
  • January 11 - Woman in her 50s stabbed in Wallington
  • January 19 - Two men, aged 20 and 18, attacked and stabbed in Edmonton
  • January 20 - Man, 57, found with stab injury in Kew
  • January 27 - Kamil Malysz, 34, stabbed to death in Acton
  • January 29 - Nedim Bilgin, 17, stabbed to death in Islington
  • February 3 - Two teens found with knife wounds "may have been attacked in Feltham Park", Met Police say
  • February 5 - Lajean Richards, 19, stabbed to death in Battersea
  • February 5 - Teenager, 18, rushed to hospital after being stabbed at around 1am on Drummond Street, near Euston station in central London.
  • February 6 - Teen boy stabbed on London bus in Hackney
  • February 8 - Two males - aged 16 and 28 years old – were found suffering from stab wounds in Wood Green
  • February 9 - Man, 23, in critical condition after being knifed in Neasden
  • February 9 - Boy, 16, suffers stab wound after a fight in Hayes
  • February 10 - Dennis Anderson, 39, stabbed to death in East Dulwich
  • February 18 - Man stabbed to death in Euston
  • February 21 - A 23-year-old man was stabbed to death in Lambeth.
  • February 22 - A teenager was knifed to death in Wood Green, North London, just after 8pm.
  • March 1 - A 17 year old girl was knifed to death in a playground in Romford. She was found dead on March 2.
But as posted, proportionally just as bad in some other British cities, but no-one ever mentions them at all. They only pick on London every time.

And you are living in the wrong place to be critical of violence elsewhere. Some 3500 dead from under a quarter of London's population.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
my Simca Aronde was blown up by my student friends on the campus so that we could watch it burn!
it did save the towing fees to 'la casse'.
there is a very pretty convertible version of that, that fetches silly money these days (I'm assuming yours wasn't one?) https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1080917 ive quite a mind to get one, but I imagine their dreadfully slow?

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
The latest NASA space flight is said to have a dummy on board.....has Theresa May finally worked out a way of getting rid of Chris Grayling.??
KudosDave
I love grayling. I hope may never gets rid of him. he's just the kind of dodgy deal-making fundamentally corrupt tory albatross I like to see swinging from her neck. with some luck he will be promoted.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
there is a very pretty convertible version of that, that fetches silly money these days (I'm assuming yours wasn't one?) https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1080917 ive quite a mind to get one, but I imagine their dreadfully slow?
A Simca Aronde tested in France by the British Motor magazine in 1951 had a top speed of 73.9 mph (118.9 km/h) and could accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 30.2 seconds. A fuel consumption of 34.1 miles per imperial gallon (8.3 L/100 km; 28.4 mpg‑US) was recorded.

That's all its 1221cc 44.5 bhp could manage, but that performance wasn't unusual for those days in our British cars too.

A comparable Austin Cambridge A50 with a larger 1489cc engine was tested by The Motor magazine in 1955, had a top speed of 73.6 mph (118.4 km/h) and could accelerate from 0–60 mph (97 km/h) in 28.8 seconds. A fuel consumption of 28.0 miles per imperial gallon (10.1 L/100 km; 23.3 mpg‑US) was recorded.

Last edited:

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
And you are living in the wrong place to be critical of violence elsewhere. Some 3500 dead from under a quarter of London's population.
Difference as you well know London isn`t under attack from a foreign `army` as we once were, it has become part of your peacetime culture and getting worse by the month.

As Tilson once said pertaining to all this, there is a `common denominator` and it`s not hard to see what this is.

Advertisers