Brexit, for once some facts.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Would it not have been more productive to remove the word backstop. ?,And replace it with guarantees. The guarantee in question being that there would not be a physical border reinserted on the island of Ireland.
It would have, not only here, generally. But brexit is such a muddled mess of equivocation for a reason. One party, the UK, is not being honest with itself or the world. It's a bit like listening to one of macbeths soliloques.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Just another £33million....Failing Grayling

The government has settled a high court case over the Brexit ferry fiasco after reaching an agreement worth up to £33m with Eurotunnel, which was suing it after the award of a contract to a company with no ships.

The out-of-court settlement led to immediate calls for the transport secretary, Chris Grayling, to be sacked.

Plus the £1million spent on consultants to tell Grayling that Ramsgate ferry was a bad idea.....I could have told him that for the price of a beer.
KudosDave

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Addendum to the NI trawler saga. Both skippers pleaded guilty this morning to illegal fishing,the judge recommended leniency. They were given the probation act ,no fine , and their boats are chugging back to Co Down as I write . Meanwhile the Irish Minister for Fishing has undertaken to advance the legislative process.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Addendum to the NI trawler saga. Both skippers pleaded guilty this morning to illegal fishing,the judge recommended leniency. They were given the probation act ,no fine , and their boats are chugging back to Co Down as I write . Meanwhile the Irish Minister for Fishing has undertaken to advance the legislative process.
So much for the gentlemans agreement, you can fish in our waters but we cant fish in yours........ How friendly

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47413901

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
So much for the gentlemans agreement, you can fish in our waters but we cant fish in yours........ How friendly

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47413901
It might come as a surprise,but we are a country of laws. A gentleman's agreement is not law. Had your province a working parliament and working parliamentarians, they would have brought a small matter to the fore. Yes it is an oversight, but it is the kind of thing that your representatives should have been lobbying for. The supreme court decision was only two years ago,and your representatives should have been more active. But then you don't have such things!!!.

• Agree

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Even compliments from a rank amateur like yourself are always welcome, however misguided they tend to be, despite your assuming for yourself a competence you don't possess

I'm sure that means something to somebody somewhere at a certain date and time.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was referring to David Lammy MP, who is a dreadful racist. They way he has hijacked a charitable cause and stained it with racist remarks in order to raise his own profile is awful.
Nonsense, he is rightly protesting about the condescending way celebrities, including our royalty, go there to publicise themselves and charity, rather than actually giving really practical help. As so many leading Africans themselves say, they don't want or need charity, they need to be given the chance to succeed.

In stark contrast the Chinese have been showing us how. They've been investing massively in infrastructure there to give the Africans opportunities while benefiting China with African resources. Some other southern world countries have joined into this investment into Africa process. That's major contructive trade rather than condescending inadequate charity, and the benefits are showing very clearly as this quote shows:

The United Nations predicts Africa's economic growth will reach 3.5% in 2018 and 3.7% in 2019. As of 2007, growth in Africa had surpassed that of East Asia. ... The World Bank reports the economy of Sub-Saharan African countries grew at rates that match or surpass global rates.

David Lammy understands all this only too well, as do I, so I understand the frustrations he and so many leading Africans express. We need to stop the charity approach which has never helped and often made things far worse. Then either get out of Africa altogether or invest more in the sort of trading that benefits both Africa and ourselves, just as the Chinese and some others are doing.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Woosh

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
as opposed to the nutcases in labour. Unfortunately I have to concede that they have lost all credibility as a party that could get a general level of support because of the direction they have moved in. Which I suppose goes to show that the vast majority of British people are not racist bigots. If they had not imploded after the vote, they could have been a potent force in fighting off the extremist remainers
I am disappointed in Corbyn. but labour has not imploded. deflated, perhaps. because of their "stance" (or lack of it) on Brexit. the pro-israel lobby's antics have very little to do with anything

• Agree

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
I'm sure that means something to somebody somewhere at a certain date and time.

It really is a struggle isn't it?

He wrote something to me and I read it, or tried to read it 3 times. It had exclamation marks within words and commas everywhere. I couldn't make head nor tail of it so I just ignored it.

Fair play to you for replying to him.

He's getting worse than old Tom or whatever he calls himself today.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
It really is a struggle isn't it?

He wrote something to me and I read it, or tried to read it 3 times. It had exclamation marks within words and commas everywhere. I couldn't make head nor tail of it so I just ignored it.

Fair play to you for replying to him.

He's getting worse than old Tom or whatever he calls himself today.
the inane noise from (and between) you two provide quite vivid evidence of the "thinking" behind the Brexit decision. You know, the impetus behind the "disenfranchised who lost out in the race for globalisation" (I imagine that means stuck perseverative types like you)

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Nonsense, he is rightly protesting about the condescending way celebrities, including our royalty, go there to publicise themselves and charity, rather than actually giving really practical help. As so many leading Africans themselves say, they don't want or need charity, they need to be given the chance to succeed.
agreed.

Lammy said: "Charity is a good thing, all of us understand that, but how we do charity is important.
Comic Relief is a 20-year-old formula that asks comedians to perform and sends celebrities - most often white - out to Africa, and that image evokes for lots of ethnic minorities in Britain, a colonial image of a white beautiful heroine holding a black child, with no agency, no parents in sight."

I like Stacey Dooley's programs very much but with her own experience of the third world countries, she should sympathise with David Lammy's viewpoint than picking up a fight for approval of the right wing press.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I dont get why so many appear to like the Kyle agreement....am I correct that parliament votes for May's deal then allows the people to have a confirmatory vote after 6 months as to whether we accept May's deal or Remain.
Surely leavers dont have a position in that vote.
Have I missed something ???
KudosDave

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk

In stark contrast the Chinese have been showing us how. They've been investing massively in infrastructure there to give the Africans opportunities while benefiting China with African resources. Some other southern world countries have joined into this investment into Africa process. That's major contructive trade rather than condescending inadequate charity, and the benefits are showing very clearly as this quote shows:

The United Nations predicts Africa's economic growth will reach 3.5% in 2018 and 3.7% in 2019. As of 2007, growth in Africa had surpassed that of East Asia. ... The World Bank reports the economy of Sub-Saharan African countries grew at rates that match or surpass global rates.

David Lammy understands all this only too well, as do I, so I understand the frustrations he and so many leading Africans express. We need to stop the charity approach which has never helped and often made things far worse. Then either get out of Africa altogether or invest more in the sort of trading that benefits both Africa and ourselves, just as the Chinese and some others are doing.
Africa / China is a funny place - I wonder if Brits behaved in a similar manner when Romans were our overlords.

Stacey Dolley is the least of their worries...

https://jalopnik.com/the-living-apostle-who-sold-the-media-on-the-myth-of-g-1784458558

Impressive CV!

Apostle Dr. Kwadwo Safo Kantanka is a mysterious but great man to have surfaced on the earth. He is a preacher, inventor, innovator, Physicist, Chemist, Biologist, agriculturalist, philanthropist and the Star of Africa. He is the world’s greatest multi-dimentional scientist and technologist of all times and has carried out the greatest philanthropic activity in Ghana. He funds all these exercises with revenue from his numerous investments.

• First African to manufacture engines, vehicles, aircrafts and heavy-duty machines (he did so manually).
• First man in the world who manufactured Bass guitars with seven strings
• The manufacturer of gadgets and machines with extra-ordinary features.
• Only man on earth capable of producing metals from sea shells and palm husk making metals renewable.
• Only individual on earth who practically cuts across the length and breadth of invention and innovative science.
• Most mysterious man on earth. It is practically impossible to comprehend his level of wisdom.
• He has won several awards from reputable institutions.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I dont get why so many appear to like the Kyle agreement....am I correct that parliament votes for May's deal then allows the people to have a confirmatory vote after 6 months as to whether we accept May's deal or Remain.
Surely leavers dont have a position in that vote.
Have I missed something ???
KudosDave
yes, you do.
Hard brexiters see May's deal as BRINO, not much different from remain.
The vote will be then between BRINO and remain.
They won't bother. Most of them think we'd better remain than have TM's deal.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It's all fun, folks.

Global manufacturing slowdown: What the experts say
The big picture this morning is that the world’s factories had a poor February.
While UK manufacturing was propped up by stockpiling, the eurozone suffered its worst month in over five years, Japan stumbled, and China couldn’t reverse its recent slump.
Stephen Cooper, Head of Industrial Manufacturing at KPMG UK, says the picture is gloomy across the board:

The rise in stockpiling activity, due to Brexit, has created artificial demand via extra inventory, and has also tied up a great deal of working capital. This is certainly a cause for concern as manufacturers contend with challenging domestic and global factors at an uncertain and fragile time for the global economy.
“There’s also little positivity for the sector globally, as the PMI results for China and Japan also reported a decline. Closer to home, the data for the Eurozone reflects further deterioration, as highlighted by Germany and Italy, this is driven in a large part by geopolitical uncertainty.”
Make UK, which represents British manufacturers, says Brexit is creating a “false boom” at UK factories.Make UK’s chief economist Seamus Nevin explains:

The reality is that orders are stagnating and future output is expected to decline with optimism clearly hit by the gathering storm clouds.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2019/mar/01/manufacturing-china-japan-uk-eurozone-growth-trade-war-brexit-business-live
Thats good in a way. Extra production means more energy usage, more pollution. Anyway we are stuck in a middle of a transition. The rapid industrial development of China could not continue,. The car industry ,one of the major world industries is transitioning out of diesel and into electric. The phone revolution is running out of steam.. we already have more portable power than we know how to use.,and we will need the 5G networks to grow

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Africa has many such con men, taking advantage of the simple African's gullibility, just as we did when we sold them on Christianity, causing them so much future trouble.

But that is far removed from China's sensible approach to Africa. Having so recently dragged much of its own population out of a peasant society existence, they know that what Africa needs is what worked for them. Investment in modernisation and teaching them how to use it well.

• Agree

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
"This is exactly what’s been going on in the mining industry in Ghana and across Africa. I reached out to Dr. Lauren Coyle at Princeton’s anthropology department, who studied the ever-growing role of China in Ghana’s mining sector. She explained that “the Chinese are not allowed to get licenses for small-scale mining concessions, so they had been making arrangements with some Ghanaians to front for them. (Only Ghanaian nationals can get them.)” The very same could be happening with Kantanka.

It’s an issue referred to as “wealth extraction”: what can look like investment doesn’t actually bring money into a developing nation, but instead draws it out."

• Disagree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
"This is exactly what’s been going on in the mining industry in Ghana and across Africa. I reached out to Dr. Lauren Coyle at Princeton’s anthropology department, who studied the ever-growing role of China in Ghana’s mining sector. She explained that “the Chinese are not allowed to get licenses for small-scale mining concessions, so they had been making arrangements with some Ghanaians to front for them. (Only Ghanaian nationals can get them.)” The very same could be happening with Kantanka.

It’s an issue referred to as “wealth extraction”: what can look like investment doesn’t actually bring money into a developing nation, but instead draws it out."
If you research the US sourced information like this you will find the anti China propaganda, just as all their information on Russia is biased.

The facts on Africa's economic growth with Chinese trade are what counts since it's real, in stark contrast to the lack of any growth during 70 years of US and UK aid and charity.

Advertisers