Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
That may apply to extreme eastender and daytime telly addicts. Perhaps their brexits natural parish. I don't know about other posters, but my relatively sedentary life gives me enough stress not to need brexit. But I can see the logic. After thatcherism, many then late adolescents lost their cause, something to fight against. But there must be more creative ways to spend one's remaining days on the planet than perennially talking about backstops?
Would it not have been more productive to remove the word backstop. ?,And replace it with guarantees. The guarantee in question being that there would not be a physical border reinserted on the island of Ireland.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The only surprise here is that it is a surprise. I referred some two years ago to the aggravation being experienced by non UK people working in the NHS at the time of the referendum. Many of the younger more mobile professionals,making a decision that when their contracts expired they were going to leave. Of course, they then talk to their friends and they in turn vote with their feet.
I find the situation a bit ironic that brexiters lose immigrants from countries joining in 2004 and gain a possibly larger number of muslims immigrants.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
And what would you have been able to achieve?
if it were about brexit negotiation, all parties knew well in advance the obstacles to a deal, even before the triggering of A50.

Would it not have been more productive to remove the word backstop. ?,And replace it with guarantees. The guarantee in question being that there would not be a physical border reinserted on the island of Ireland.
It's no secret that brexiters want to break free from the CU and SM and the consequence of that is a customs border in NI. That it is going to be a sticky problem is not new, nobody bothers to organise a poll on what the Northern Irish people would accept as customs border solution.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Where do I start? It's wall to wall nutcases at ukip.
as opposed to the nutcases in labour. Unfortunately I have to concede that they have lost all credibility as a party that could get a general level of support because of the direction they have moved in. Which I suppose goes to show that the vast majority of British people are not racist bigots. If they had not imploded after the vote, they could have been a potent force in fighting off the extremist remainers

• Dislike
Reactions: robdon and tommie

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
I find the situation a bit ironic that brexiters lose immigrants from countries joining in 2004 and gain a possibly larger number of muslims immigrants.

I think the non EU immigrants are spiked with Phillipino nurses and the like and EU citizens going home.

The pound isn't as strong as before so living 8 to a bedroom isn't as much fun anymore.

• Disagree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
One little item which will have escaped attention on mainland UK , but I am sure will excercise Tommie, is the arrest and detention of two NI trawlers in Dundalk Bay. There was a long standing Voisinage or neighbour agreement allowing allowing RoI and NI registered boats to fish for shellfish in each others waters. A few years ago Irish fishermen queried this in the Irish courts ,and the decision was that the long standing arrangement had no basis in law. The courts were not unsympathetic, but recognised that it was for the Dail to change legislation. The UK does permit RoI boats fish off NI
Had there been an operational NI Government, they no doubt would have lobbied, and the amendment would have been moved up the agenda. But there is not and so it never happened. Expect to hear from the DUPs Nigel Dodds about gunboat diplomacy and Brexit bullying

• Informative
  • Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think the non EU immigrants are spiked with Phillipino nurses and the like and EU citizens going home.

The pound isn't as strong as before so living 8 to a bedroom isn't as much fun anymore.
half of them are students, a quarter are supposed to be earning a little more than the average UK wages, something like £30k pre tax a year. The rest join their UK family.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
if it were about brexit negotiation, all parties knew well in advance the obstacles to a deal, even before the triggering of A50.

It's no secret that brexiters want to break free from the CU and SM and the consequence of that is a customs border in NI. That it is going to be a sticky problem is not new, nobody bothers to organise a poll on what the Northern Irish people would accept as customs border solution.
Exactly, which is why I have been very careful in my selection of words. Cairnryan has plenty of land around it for customs inspection.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
betting odds:

second referendum 2/1
No deal 4/1

who would have thought?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Almost there, but if you try again you will see that I said “adds in irrelevant complications”. This is something very different to adding necessary detail.

You had a good try though and I’m pleased with the effort you are making. If you continue to work hard, you will get it right in no time at all, of that I am certain. Keep trying & well done.
Even compliments from a rank amateur like yourself are always welcome, however misguided they tend to be, despite your assuming for yourself a competence you don't possess

• Agree

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Even compliments from a rank amateur like yourself are always welcome, however misguided they tend to be, despite your assuming for yourself a competence you don't possess

I know it's a Friday and we are all looking forward to the weekend. But please do keep on topic.

Your constant wandering away from the subject in hand just disrupts the thread.

We all know your cheeky chappie persona but please, please try and remain on topic old friend.

Thank you.

Reactions: 50Hertz

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
betting odds:

second referendum 2/1
No deal 4/1

who would have thought?
With odds like that it might be worth while putting a few Bob on no deal. The factual situation is that a no deal crash out is currently the only legal option with 20 working days to go.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
With odds like that it might be worth while putting a few Bob on no deal. The factual situation is that a no deal crash out is currently the only legal option with 20 working days to go.
we'll know by 14-March.
As far as I can make out, no deal has been quietly dropped.

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I know it's a Friday and we are all looking forward to the weekend. But please do keep on topic.

Your constant wandering away from the subject in hand just disrupts the thread.

We all know your cheeky chappie persona but please, please try and remain on topic old friend.

Thank you.
Now fingers ,that you are an amenable mood, perhaps you might identify any instance where I have been "adding irrelevant comp!ications".
As has been said before , to every complex problem there is a simple solution... But it is usually wrong.

• Agree

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
  • Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: robdon and oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
we'll know by 14-March.
As far as I can make out, no deal has been quietly dropped.
That may as well be, but that is not what the score card currently says. My concern is that in selecting various amendments of dubious effectiveness, the main deal is being ignored.
It is not sufficient that there be a consensus, it is necessary that the MPs vote.

• Agree

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
May's money tree is still churning out the dosh to try and ensure a semblance of normality....

Government pays Eurotunnel £33m over Brexit ferry case

Even my local town is benefiting to the tune of 18p per person for a couple of years from a Brexit Bonus gift from TM! Should be just enough to buy a locally grown turnip each as emergency food rations to get through this crisis.

Colchester Council gets £35k to deal with fallout from Brexit

Don't waste it this time.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It's all fun, folks.

Global manufacturing slowdown: What the experts say
The big picture this morning is that the world’s factories had a poor February.
While UK manufacturing was propped up by stockpiling, the eurozone suffered its worst month in over five years, Japan stumbled, and China couldn’t reverse its recent slump.
Stephen Cooper, Head of Industrial Manufacturing at KPMG UK, says the picture is gloomy across the board:

The rise in stockpiling activity, due to Brexit, has created artificial demand via extra inventory, and has also tied up a great deal of working capital. This is certainly a cause for concern as manufacturers contend with challenging domestic and global factors at an uncertain and fragile time for the global economy.
“There’s also little positivity for the sector globally, as the PMI results for China and Japan also reported a decline. Closer to home, the data for the Eurozone reflects further deterioration, as highlighted by Germany and Italy, this is driven in a large part by geopolitical uncertainty.”
Make UK, which represents British manufacturers, says Brexit is creating a “false boom” at UK factories.Make UK’s chief economist Seamus Nevin explains:

The reality is that orders are stagnating and future output is expected to decline with optimism clearly hit by the gathering storm clouds.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2019/mar/01/manufacturing-china-japan-uk-eurozone-growth-trade-war-brexit-business-live

• Agree

Advertisers