Brexit, for once some facts.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
You don't seriously suggest Trump went to North Korea for any other reason than self publicity?
That is hilarious, as that was the only reason he stood for President!
He needed to look the "Tough Guy" as the screws are being put on him for being Putin's lapdog, so he's found a smaller "Public Enemy no. 1" to bully and look big.
I had no idea that you had a contact within the Whitehouse. How else could you have such an insightful overview of Donald Trump’s activity? Oh wait a minute, you’ve been reading left wing BS again haven’t you. That’s how you know so much.

• Dislike
Reactions: robdon

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Cummings is a prime example of the old adage ending, "those who can't, teach".

He made one attempt at doing something useful after moving to Russia, by setting up an airline that only achieved one flight.

Since that failure he's only been engaged in criticising others, purporting to have all the solutions while never achieving anything worthwhile himself. Another Leaver's hero, all talk, no evidence.
You sound like a jilted lover.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Oh. You know do you? You're an expert on exactly the match up between current programmers and the kind of AI technicians he's talking about. Right. Sure. No OK I get it.
I run a computer company for nearly 40 years, so yes, I do know a little about programming.

Reactions: robdon and Danidl

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
"(My experience is it’s much easier to fool people about politics if they have a degree than if they don’t because those with a degree tend to spend so much more energy fooling themselves.) "

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Europe not the place to be:

(Cummings just released his latest blog)

"There is some talk in London of ‘what if there is an AI arms race’ but there is already an AI/automation arms race between companies and between countries — it’s just that Europe is barely relevant to the cutting edge of it.

Europe wants to be a world player but it has totally failed to generate anything approaching what is happening in coastal America and China.

Brussels spends its time on posturing, publishing documents about ‘AI and trust’, whining, spreading fake news about fake news (while ignoring experts like Duncan Watts), trying to damage Silicon Valley companies rather than considering how to nourish European entities with real capabilities, and imposing bad regulation like GDPR (that ironically was intended to harm Google/Facebook but actually helped them in some ways because Brussels doesn’t understand them)."
He seems to be the worst Myth creator of the lot

Reactions: robdon and flecc

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
"Further, in my experience extremely smart technical people are often naive about politics.

They greatly over-estimate the abilities of prime ministers and presidents. They greatly under-estimate the incentive problems and the degree of focus that is required to get ANYTHING done in politics.

They greatly exaggerate the potential for ‘rational argument’ to change minds and wrongly assume somewhere at the top of power ‘there must be’ a group of really smart people working on very dangerous problems who have real clout.

Further, everybody thinks they understand ‘communication’ but almost nobody does.

We can see from recent events that even the very best engineering companies like Facebook and Google can not just make huge mistakes with the political/communication world but not learn (Facebook hiring Clegg was a sign of deep ignorance inside Facebook about their true problems).

So it’s hard to be optimistic about the technical people educating the political people even assuming the technical people make progress with safety."

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
"(My experience is it’s much easier to fool people about politics if they have a degree than if they don’t because those with a degree tend to spend so much more energy fooling themselves.) "
Since that is obviously a quote, it should have a reference.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Gotta love the way this man talks:

"If you are one of the many MPs aspiring to be not just Prime Minister but a Prime Minister who gets important things done, there are very few books that would repay careful study as much as Groves’.

If you do then you could avoid joining the list of Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron and May who bungle around for a few years before being spat out to write very similar accounts about how they struggled to ‘find the levers of power’, couldn’t get officials to do what they want, and never understood how to get things done."
You would have thought that this clown (if he is really as clever as he believes he is) would have foreseen the inevitable outcome of interfering with the system (as he did) when no plan existed to clear up the resulting mess.

He offers no solutions only "what iffs " that rather urinate on his contention that he possesses high intelligence.
His thinking is short term and shallow and lacks wisdom and morality, without which intelligence is nothing more than cunning, and dangeous.

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Oh. You know do you? You're an expert on exactly the match up between current programmers and the kind of AI technicians he's talking about. Right. Sure. No OK I get it.
Don't underestimate the level of competence of fellow pedeleclers. Some of us went beyond the second level.

As a matter of interest the entire MP3 music compression theory is German, the VLC software French, the majority of high grade CAD software also French. The prowess of Silicon Valley has been in its ability to hoover up Indian subcontinent mathematical expertise. Do not underestimate the depth of Russian mathematical modelling and analysis ,as they had to develop their expertise prior to having ready access to computer simulations.
There was one extremely competent British software house .. ARM holdings in Cambridge, but it was also fronted by a German, and was sold off to the Japanese just after the referendum. ARM holdings is /was the global leader in mobile phone and tablet architecture,and your country sold off its crown jewels.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I had no idea that you had a contact within the Whitehouse. How else could you have such an insightful overview of Donald Trump’s activity? Oh wait a minute, you’ve been reading left wing BS again haven’t you. That’s how you know so much.
Not at all, unlike you I observe the body language of this man and see that he is a classic case of the early onset of dementia.
Thatcher went the same way while still in office.
Apparently you are blind to the evidence of your eyes and ears.
And yes I do know about dementia,my wife suffers from it, the symptoms are quite plain.

And here is someone else's opinion, there are lots more out there who think the same way

Janet Parker
, 30+ yr Registered Dietitian/Director Clinical Nutrition LTC

I worked with dementia patients in long-term-care for about 30 years. If Donald Trump were sitting in the midst of a group of people with mid-stage Alzheimer’s no one would consider him out of place at all. Mid-stage symptoms include repetitive and limited vocabulary, losing a train of thought without realizing it, a lack of focus, leaving words out, no grammar, and “word salad”. Word salad is when a string of words make no sense.
Really, does this make sense:
“From the time I took office til now, you know, it’s a very exact thing. It’s not like generalities.”​
which, at that moment, was totally without context to give it any meaning. And last week, with no contextual support in the conversation going on:
“When I did this now I said, I probably, maybe will confuse people, maybe I’ll expand that, you know, lengthen the time because it should be over with, in my opinion, should have been over with a long time ago.”​
This is a man who is best buds with Putin? and whose thoughts (when presented with undeniable photographs and proof of North Korea’s nuclear bombs) were:
Maybe they are. Maybe they’re not. I don’t believe that. I don’t. And, you know, could. And which is — if it — if that’s the way it goes, that’s the way it goes. You know, I go with the way we have to go,” the president said.​
which seriously sounds like someone sleep-talking, that would get a good laugh at breakfast.
end quote....
He needs medical supervision

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
There was one extremely competent British software house .. ARM holdings in Cambridge,
I went to see the guys at ARM Holdings a few times in the early days when they developed UK's first 32-bit RISC. I was one of the beta testers. Always thought that Cambridge people do, Oxford people talk.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Not at all, unlike you I observe the body language of this man and see that he is a classic case of the early onset of dementia.
And yes I do know about dementia,my wife suffers from it, the symptoms are quite plain.
My sympathies, my mother in law had the same condition.

• Agree

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019

And here is someone else's opinion, there are lots more out there who think the same way

Janet Parker

I worked with dementia patients in long-term-care for about 30 years. If Donald Trump were sitting in the midst of a group of people with mid-stage Alzheimer’s no one would consider him out of place at all. Mid-stage symptoms include repetitive and limited vocabulary, losing a train of thought without realizing it, a lack of focus, leaving words out, no grammar, and “word salad”. Word salad is when a string of words make no sense.
“From the time I took office til now, you know, it’s a very exact thing. It’s not like generalities.”​
which, at that moment, was totally without context to give it any meaning. And last week, with no contextual support in the conversation going on:
“When I did this now I said, I probably, maybe will confuse people, maybe I’ll expand that, you know, lengthen the time because it should be over with, in my opinion, should have been over with a long time ago.”​
This is a man who is best buds with Putin? and whose thoughts (when presented with undeniable photographs and proof of North Korea’s nuclear bombs) were:
Maybe they are. Maybe they’re not. I don’t believe that. I don’t. And, you know, could. And which is — if it — if that’s the way it goes, that’s the way it goes. You know, I go with the way we have to go,” the president said.​
which seriously sounds like someone sleep-talking, that would get a good laugh at breakfast.
end quote....
You mentioned that your wife has dementia befor, so I will take your word for it regarding Trump showing signs of the same disease.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
You mentioned that your wife has dementia befor, so I will take your word for it regarding Trump showing signs of the same disease.
I certainly don't like the man and his policies,but he has my deepest sympathy as Dementia is a terrible fate no human being should have to face, and Trump's father Fred suffered that fate from age 88 to 93 when he died.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Janet Parker

end quote....
At least Chairman Mao had some thoughts.

It is not so much him that needs medical supervision - more that we all need him to be medically supervised.

Advertisers