Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Lord Adonis resigning letter was word for word in line with my own thoughts.
Notice Bone said he was due to be pushed anyway,this government don't want dissent in any form,May needs to be surrounded by Brexit yes men,or women.
The bit I liked best was the suggestion that our children would in the future be trying to negotiate us back into the EU,wondering why their parents were so destructive.
KudosDave
I thought it was a very well structured contribution, articulate, well argued and without histrionics letter. Very much in line with my thoughts.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
remainers admit defeat and prepare for a long war:

"It could be that 2018 will be the year in which opposition to Brexit transforms into the beginnings of the campaign to rejoin the EU after we have left."
The remainers I'm associated with still believe we may avoid the catastrophe awaiting us and are campaigning to ensure there is opportunity to reject any deal which fails to match the benefits currently enjoyed as a full EU member with a vote in all matters. There is no acceptance that defeat is inevitable.

In the event that we find ourselves out in a year or so, I have no doubt that there will be, sooner or later, a movement to rejoin which will grow exponentially with the economic slump which will hit the ordinary folk hardest and render many unemployed. Sadly, any rejoining terms made available to the UK will inevitably be less generous and advantageous than those extant.

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: Wicky and robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
In the event that we find ourselves out in a year or so, I have no doubt that there will be, sooner or later, a movement to rejoin which will grow exponentially with the economic slump which will hit the ordinary folk hardest and render many unemployed.
remainers need to do better than to expect or hope for an economic slump to do the work for them. They need to prove that rejoining the EU makes sense to the vast majority, including the JAMs, not just the educated with good jobs.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
remainers need to do better than to expect or hope for an economic slump to do the work for them. They need to prove that rejoining the EU makes sense to the vast majority, including the JAMs, not just the educated with good jobs.
That can't be done, any more than the Leavers could prove leaving was a good option. Either way the only proof is trying.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and daveboy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A knighthood for Clegg, possibly the most unprincipled, self-serving political nonentity of them all in recent years........
Clegg's constituency is Sheffield Hallam.

He is the fifth consecutive Tory MP for that constituency to receive a knighthood.

That is very odd.

Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That is very odd.
I suspect Clegg's knighthood was given to him because he was the most influential LibDems' leader, has rendered service to the conservative party and he won't contest Sheffield Hallam against sitting Labour MP next time. He can be the most influential campaigner for rejoiners.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Clegg's constituency is Sheffield Hallam.

He is the fifth consecutive Tory MP for that constituency to receive a knighthood.

That is very odd.
You are right about his political leaning and direction 'flecc' even though he pretended to be a yellow-belly laughable demorat!

That bare statistic really is most odd nonetheless.

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You are right about his political leaning and direction 'flecc'
Yes, everything about him has always been Tory, wealthy parents. education in top private schools like Westminster, then Cambridge University and a member of the Cambridge University Conservative Association. He subsequently worked in Tory MP Leon Brittan's office at parliament.

I think his choice of bidding to be a Liberal MP was possibly to be a bigger fish in a smaller pool, something that worked out for him of course when he became the Liberal leader.

Last edited:
  • Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
They need to prove that rejoining the EU makes sense to the vast majority, including the JAMs, not just the educated with good jobs.
Not so! the leave voters have to prove that to themselves, they passed beyond being reasoned with long ago.
They need to learn the value of the old saying
"Be careful what you wish for."

• Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Worried, the EU are preparing to alter the MEP election rules for 2019 to neutralize any post Brexit eurosceptic surge in the remaining 27 countries.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//TEXT+COMPARL+AFCO-OJ-20171214-1+01+DOC+XML+V0//EN&language=EN
Did you read the document? If so either you didn't understand it or you are a troll. The readjustment is required because the UK is leaving, for example:

5. Proposes that a new distribution of seats in Parliament should immediately apply once there is legal certainty and the United Kingdom’s withdrawal from the Union becomes legally effective; insists that the MEPs that will occupy the seats resulting from this new distribution shall all take up their seats in Parliament at the same time;
6. Proposes that this new distribution of seats should be fair, objective and based on the following principles: respect for the principle of degressive proportionality, no loss of seats for any Member State, and the use of only a minimal fraction of the seats vacated by the UK;
7. Underlines that the new distribution proposed would allow for a reduction in the size of Parliament to 699 members plus the President, thereby leaving sufficient room for manoeuvre to accommodate potential future enlargements of the EU and members elected in a joint constituency;

That sounds very reasonable and normal to me but you don't get reasonable and normal do you?

• Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Glad that you have become aware of the situation suggest you do further rersearch.
Like reading some populist UK "news" paper's conspiracy theory take on a readjustment provoked by the UK leaving?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
This in the Sunday Express
"
David Davis lets slip 'Brexit could be IGNORED' sparking fears divorce 'may NOT happen'
DAVID Davis has let slip that he thinks there could be a “no Brexit” despite Theresa May's New Year message insisting the UK's divorce "is crucial", it has been revealed.

It appears he is having trouble with his mouth!

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Glad that you have become aware of the situation suggest you do further rersearch.
Perhaps you would like to identify the point you are seeking to make. I am puzzled . As the UK has some 73 seats, or 10% of the European parliament, .. and was if anything over represented as it has a population of 8.8% of the eu, , something has to be done with what otherwise become " rotting boroughs"
Are you suggesting that these seats be kept empty as a monument to the valient British?

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
  • Agree

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Chaplin said it.....ok, it was only for a part in a movie but the message is important and yet, here we are, almost in 2018, instead of further forging our bond with other peoples, we are breaking the ties that bind; not for any benefit to the common man but only to allow the slavedrivers, moneylenders and warmongers to expand their personal and corporate wealth.

Tom

• Agree

Advertisers