Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Paraphrasing TheJournal.ie :
Unusually Sinn Fein backing Fine Gael , will "stand shoulder to shoulder", but only if it tries to keep NI in EU (or 'regulatory alignment' or whatever codename it has now!).

While Tanaiste Simon Coveney of course just weasled with "Gov not shifting position.. keeping to the core text agreed", but no-one seems to know what that means exactly.

A commenter opined:
"Picture Brexit like this.. A group of Vultures sitting on a branch watching an old cow leave the herd at the waterhole and wander off out into a waterless plain. And as the Vultures watch one thought goes through each. Dinner is about to be served."
. The vast majority of people in ireland and that includes those in NI, do not want the UK to leave the EU. The DUP have read this one wrong. So it is not surprising that SF are aligned with FG. It would be difficult to find any other issue on which there is such convergence, except perhaps that battered fish goes well with chips...

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
.. and the best way to avoid this is
.. multiple choice pick one....
1. Lock yourself out of the room , go to a corner and put your hands on your ears
Or
2. Join the discussion and argue why it is a bad thing , form allies with other parties who think the same and vote it down.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
.. and the best way to avoid this is
.. multiple choice pick one....
1. Lock yourself out of the room , go to a corner and put your hands on your ears
Or
2. Join the discussion and argue why it is a bad thing , form allies with other parties who think the same and vote it down.
It has already been democratically agreed, the government invoked article 50 all we have to do is leave.

Other EU countries who do not want to sign up to utopia will be kicked out.

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just to be clear, it isn't my utopia by any means and 'the majority' you mention were never asked if they thought the USofE would be a good idea or not.

Personally, I think it's the way to go and we have nothing, nothing whatsoever to lose by being a part of it. If we are not part of it, the UK will become a backwater in terms of any measures you care to mention if we attempt to strike out on our own in this 21st century.

I really don't understand why so many Brits seem to imagine that we have some god-given right to be respected and viewed by others as important when we have displayed, and continue to display, nothing but arrogance towards other nations except for Israel, Saudi Arabia and the USA. The old empires are all gone yet we are trying to cling on to past glories, usually involving the massacres of lots of peaceful people trying to hold on to their own little bit of planet Earth territory.

It is a far better thing for us all to be in it together (doesn't that sound familiar?), living harmoniously and trading together with everything we need sourced in our part of the world or purchased fairly from friends far away with no more land theft and empire-building by those with the most powerful weapons.

I have children and grandchildren and would like to be able to leave them a world better than that of today. Capitalism isn't going to do that but what Europe has become since the end of WW2 has much to offer - that is where the UK needs to be!

Tom

• Agree

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
It has already been democratically agreed, the government invoked article 50 all we have to do is leave.

Is that a fact? I don't remember reading that anywhere so I think you probably made it up or it was said by some complete ignoramus and that's the sort of drivel that floats your boat.

I'm just making a note here in my little book that 'shemozzle999' is probably serving or ex-military/old bill......comprehensively brainwashed by professionals with no hope of ever being rescued. The first part of that speculation may not necessarily be right but the remainder is.

Is all this stuff you post your own work or is the computer shared with others on your ward?

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We have an even quicker and easier way to leave the EU, at the same time killing two birds with one stone.

Terminate the UK, which would have these effects:

Left as Great Britain we would instantly not be in the EU since only the UK had that membership.

Our connection with Ireland would instantly cease, ridding us of the associated expense and trouble. Northern Ireland could choose whether it wanted to be an independent country and apply to join the EU if wished, or join the RoI and thus be in already.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
We have an even quicker and easier way to leave the EU, at the same time killing two birds with one stone.

Terminate the UK, which would have these effects:

Left as Great Britain we would instantly not be in the EU since only the UK had that membership.

Our connection with Ireland would instantly cease, ridding us of the associated expense and trouble. Northern Ireland could choose whether it wanted to be an independent country and apply to join the EU if wished, or join the RoI and thus be in already.
The UK will still be trading with all the EU the day after Brexit.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

Firstly that was not the question I posed... Whether it is better to go away or to compete.
Secondly I am assuming that your reference to "democratically agreed " refers to the referendum. If so a potential united states of Europe was not an issue. If memory serves it was on " taking back control" and something about limiting immigration and something about giving loads of money to your NHS. .. Can you identify which debates at the time referred to a united states of Europe and how much airtime and media coverage it got compared to the three issues above?
Thirdly it is perfectly ok for any german, pole, spaniard to suggest change to the EU, but it is up to the EU parliament to accept or reject it.Some of us call this democracy. There is no process of " kicking out", even the UK is not being kicked out.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
battered fish goes well with chips...
Lots of other things go well with battered fish (battered not beaten?) and many things go well with chips (french fries?) but I have a hard time trying to sell battered fish and chips to a Basque fisherman's daughter... :D Try pronouncing that out loud :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Lets put it to you this way.
Unlike Brexit it will happen.
WE can make two choices
  1. Behave like complete pillocks and find perhaps one day we are at war with it
  2. Be a happy and prosperous not to mention peaceful part of it
Difficult Choice? not really, and for crying out loud "Not liking it" is a totally non profitable attitude to a situation we can either enjoy or suffer from
Why don't the majority NOT want to be part of it?
Ae they in some way slow on the uptake?

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Lets put it to you this way.
Unlike Brexit it will happen.
WE can make two choices
  1. Behave like complete pillocks and find perhaps one day we are at war with it
  2. Be a happy and prosperous not to mention peaceful part of it
Difficult Choice? not really, and for crying out loud "Not liking it" is a totally non profitable attitude to a situation we can either enjoy or suffer from
Why don't the majority NOT want to be part of it?
Ae they in some way slow on the uptake?
In France or in Spain you will hear many people not liking the idea before mumbling that it is probably for the better interests of their children and their children's children...

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Not so an advisory referendum was taken, and it's nature hidden from the voters who would not have bothered had they known, plus the 4% margin is no mandate where referendums are concerned, remember Farages words.
4% means it is work in progress only a 2:1 Vote will kill the issue

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
More French related to brexit:

In French there is a lovely word which can describe much of the French je ne sais quoi since the WW's - pragmatisme. I think that English may have borrowed that word (Greek in origin) in some point of history?

The antonyms are equally interesting: impractical, inefficient, irrational, unrealistic, unreasonable, idealistic

The antonyms of pragmatic are what brexit is to me

• Agree

Advertisers