Brexit, for once some facts.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Soft enough to eventually evolve into invisibility.

Long ago Dave you posted a number of times that you doubted Brexit would happen. I think you will be right eventually, since I think we will gradually over time lose any sign of it ever being really in existence.

Brexit is just too difficult and impractical to achieve. Our UK governments can't even do the simple things like the routine of running the country. Achieving Brexit is far beyond their competence.
My wife has always been of the opinion that Brexit wont happen,frustratingly she is often right. I thought initially that it wouldnt happen but momentum and the fact that big agencies and banks seemed to be making provisions to move elsewhere started to make me think that we either crash out or soft Brexit,but this latest obstacles have started me thinking again that it wont happen.
There just doesnt seem enough bravery in the house to stand up to the 35 bastards,but the responses in the house to Keir Starmers latest amendment is convincing me that there is a groundswell of MP's who are determined that we stay in the single market and customs union...if we do that we might as well not Brexit. If May cannot overcome the Irish border issue then she stands no chance of getting a satisfactory trade deal out of the EU,so this week could be crunch time,look for white smoke,hehe.
KudosDave

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I still dont understand what regulatory alignment means,last week it was regulatory divergence,now I am told May will have a new name,cant remember what that is?
But what do they mean???
Anna Soubry and the EU seems to like them,Boris and Rees-Mogg dont like them,so I think it is near to soft Brexit .
KudosDave
Regulatory means regulatory! Come on you have to get up to speed on May speak Dave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the fact that big agencies and banks seemed to be making provisions to move elsewhere started to make me think that we either crash out or soft Brexit
If there is a tacit, hidden and almost unspoken agreement by the UK government and the EU to be eventually rid of Brexit, as I suggested in this post, bankers and business would not be a party so would act as if it were proceeding.

By the end of a transition period in 2021 or 2022 the picture may be very different.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
If there is a tacit, hidden and almost unspoken agreement by the UK government and the EU to be eventually rid of Brexit, as I suggested in this post, bankers and business would not be a party so would act as if it were proceeding.

By the end of a transition period in 2021 or 2022 the picture may be very different.
Brexit, for once some facts??????????????

Confusedo_O

• Informative
Reactions: robdon

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Regulatory means regulatory! Come on you have to get up to speed on May speak Dave
I have searched regulatory alignment,regulatory divergence and the new one regulatory convergence and nobody seems to define exactly what they mean or even the differences between them....sorry if I sound a snob here but I just done think that Fred and Joe over a pint in Huddersfield Wetherspoons are going to know the technical details of regulatory alignment,yet they want it because they voted Brexit...yeh Fred lets have some of that regular stuff,yeh Joe keeps me regular in the mornings.
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
You traitor,you wont be invited to the Hunt Ball,your best seat at Henley is no longer available and dont even think about applying to the Royal Yacht Squadron....social leper for you old boy!!!!!
KudosDave

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
regulatory
in this context, it means EU directives/laws.

regulatory convergence = importing EU laws.
regulatory divergence = do the opposite (they go high on taxes, we go low).

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Paraphrasing TheJournal.ie :
Unusually Sinn Fein backing Fine Gael , will "stand shoulder to shoulder", but only if it tries to keep NI in EU (or 'regulatory alignment' or whatever codename it has now!).

While Tanaiste Simon Coveney of course just weasled with "Gov not shifting position.. keeping to the core text agreed", but no-one seems to know what that means exactly.

A commenter opined:
"Picture Brexit like this.. A group of Vultures sitting on a branch watching an old cow leave the herd at the waterhole and wander off out into a waterless plain. And as the Vultures watch one thought goes through each. Dinner is about to be served."

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
"Picture Brexit like this.. A group of Vultures sitting on a branch watching an old cow leave the herd at the waterhole and wander off out into a waterless plain. And as the Vultures watch one thought goes through each. Dinner is about to be served."
But is the old cow Theresa May or will it be Arlene Foster in the end who will fail to deliver? :rolleyes:

• Agree

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Keir Starmers latest amendment is convincing me that there is a groundswell of MP's who are determined that we stay in the single market and customs union...if we do that we might as well not Brexit.
Undoubtedly, that is true and I agree that anything other than crashing out with no deal would only serve to produce a fudge which would be 'Brexit' in name only. Any form of soft 'Brexit' would be pointless and of lesser benefit than full EU membership, wherein we may have a degree of influence over the direction of the future of the bloc.

At this stage, particularly with the recent, highlighted continuation of lies from Davis and Co, I just get the feeling that a lot of people who voted for 'Brexit' would now be mightily relieved to see it scrapped. It is only arrogance and conceitedness on the part of May and her cabinet allied to the tories' desperation to cling to power that keeps this out-of-control juggernaut rolling along.

Someone in the PCP really needs to grow some and make a bid for the leadership, based on a commitment to scrap 'Brexit' and do what is in the best interests of the nation.

May has had it far too easy for a politician who was simply the best of a bad bunch vying for what was always a poisoned chalice after Ca-moron bailed out. A lot of people seem to forget just how bad she was as Home Secretary where she had the power to strengthen our border controls and properly staff the immigration and police services. She slashed staff numbers. She has only one interest and that is power and the financial rewards that go with it; she has no interest in the ordinary folk around the country and has a major communication disability wholly unsuited to a life in politics.

Tom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Idependent
"
Brexit: Tory rebels to demand powers to extend EU talks
Theresa May faces potential Tory revolt over the Brexit bill as around 24 Conservative MPs are thought to back demands for Parliament to have a vote on the final deal

Hell's teeth! how many Rebel factions are there in the Conservative Party?
Can someone clarfity that please?
And also what exactly is a "Rebel" when describing a Tory MP
Animal, Vegetable or Mineral?

I'm reminded of the the Famous Line from Maggie Thatcher at a Dinner at the Conservative Annual Conference one year

"What would Madam like for the main course asked the Waiter?

And she named the Dish of Choice.
Then the waiter asked
"And the Vegetables?"
And she replied
"They'll have the same."
:)

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Undoubtedly, that is true and I agree that anything other than crashing out with no deal would only serve to produce a fudge which would be 'Brexit' in name only. Any form of soft 'Brexit' would be pointless and of lesser benefit than full EU membership, wherein we may have a degree of influence over the direction of the future of the bloc.

At this stage, particularly with the recent, highlighted continuation of lies from Davis and Co, I just get the feeling that a lot of people who voted for 'Brexit' would now be mightily relieved to see it scrapped. It is only arrogance and conceitedness on the part of May and her cabinet allied to the tories' desperation to cling to power that keeps this out-of-control juggernaut rolling along.

Someone in the PCP really needs to grow some and make a bid for the leadership, based on a commitment to scrap 'Brexit' and do what is in the best interests of the nation.

May has had it far too easy for a politician who was simply the best of a bad bunch vying for what was always a poisoned chalice after Ca-moron bailed out. A lot of people seem to forget just how bad she was as Home Secretary where she had the power to strengthen our border controls and properly staff the immigration and police services. She slashed staff numbers. She has only one interest and that is power and the financial rewards that go with it; she has no interest in the ordinary folk around the country and has a major communication disability wholly unsuited to a life in politics.

Tom
Be fair Tom! she has come a long way since running away from the Punch and Judy Show, to join a Cowboy Outfit.

• :D
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Brexit, for once some facts??????????????

Confusedo_O
You're confused!......really! The whole tory party is confused and haven't a clue what to do for best - the nation is confused because all the politicians they thought were trustworthy have turned out to be liars and cheats. The public at large though still quite like the idea of jumping on a Ryanair flight to the warmer EU countries; have no difficulty dealing in the €, preferred it when the exchange rate was more favourable to such ventures and have no trouble at all holding a conversation with Georgos in Halkidiki or Benito in Benidorm.

Although it was often a struggle, many made the effort to out-drink the Germans and Belgians in the Mediterranean resorts, some more successfully than others! So, we have millions of our fellow citizens who would rather give the middle-east, Turkey and the emirates a miss on security rounds and simply revert to the Costas and the Greek islands for a great holiday with restaurants serving the 'full English'!

Those poor, confused folk can't get their heads round why the situation is so fu mucked up these days - I mean, no-one said 'Brexit' would make them all poorer and those prices on the Costas keep going up cos the Germans and Scandies have all had pay rises for the last ten years!

Now, those poor folks don't even know if there will be any budget airlines flying to warmer climes for their annual wakes weeks getaways and they have become slightly miffed that that Wetherspoon geezer never mentioned that when he said 'Brexit' would be great for the country......who should you believe these days?

Is there any particular part of 'complete and utter shambles' that you don't get 'shemozzle999'? For me, this thread is the most comprehensive and informative material I have read on 'Brexit'.........with the exception of contributions by one complete pillock.:D

Tom

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
they then allow David Davis to go unpunished for lying repeatedly to parliament:
Actually Tom he wasn't lying.

The existence of the 50 or 60 reports was a Brexit fact, rather like the £350 millions a week that we paid to the EU, and the Brexit fact that the NHS would get that money the moment we left.

Now in the 21st century we are living in a virtual world where reality has many forms. For example the NHS payments of that money may be in Bitcoins or HMRC revaluations of NHS properties.

Steb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2017
london
You're confused!......really! The whole tory party is confused and haven't a clue what to do for best - the nation is confused because all the politicians they thought were trustworthy have turned out to be liars and cheats. The public at large though still quite like the idea of jumping on a Ryanair flight to the warmer EU countries; have no difficulty dealing in the €, preferred it when the exchange rate was more favourable to such ventures and have no trouble at all holding a conversation with Georgos in Halkidiki or Benito in Benidorm.

Although it was often a struggle, many made the effort to out-drink the Germans and Belgians in the Mediterranean resorts, some more successfully than others! So, we have millions of our fellow citizens who would rather give the middle-east, Turkey and the emirates a miss on security rounds and simply revert to the Costas and the Greek islands for a great holiday with restaurants serving the 'full English'!

Those poor, confused folk can't get their heads round why the situation is so fu mucked up these days - I mean, no-one said 'Brexit' would make them all poorer and those prices on the Costas keep going up cos the Germans and Scandies have all had pay rises for the last ten years!

Now, those poor folks don't even know if there will be any budget airlines flying to warmer climes for their annual wakes weeks getaways and they have become slightly miffed that that Wetherspoon geezer never mentioned that when he said 'Brexit' would be great for the country......who should you believe these days?

Is there any particular part of 'complete and utter shambles' that you don't get 'shemozzle999'? For me, this thread is the most comprehensive and informative material I have read on 'Brexit'.........with the exception of contributions by one complete pillock.:D

Tom
It's more satisfying dramatic irony than I've witnessed in years, the tories hold the country hostage to try to resolve their internal civil war about Europe via brexit and the focus shifts smartly back to their internal division as they cannot agree on a brexit that seems increasingly unlikely to happen.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I found it,the definition of regularity alignment and from the most trusted source,namely David Davis.....

The DUP did not like what was proposed on "regulatory alignment", but Brexit Secretary David Davis suggests that the concept will still be key to making progress.

"Regulatory alignment" effectively means continuing to follow at least some of the rules of the EU's single market.

The taoiseach (Irish prime minister) said that the EU and UK had agreed that, short of a comprehensive trade agreement, there would be ongoing alignment between the two parts of Ireland sufficient to avoid a hard border.

Labour MP Yvette Cooper asked Mr Davis on Tuesday if, following Monday's débacle, the idea of regulatory alignment had now been "ditched".

In his answer he explained what he understood by the term.

So thats clear now,regulatory alignment,means that we will have to follow some of the rules of the single market,dont wish to be picky but...
Which rules will we have to follow,I am sure the DUP would like to know??
Who will administer those rules,the UK.the EU and/or the ECJ ??
Will the EU be modifying its rules to accomodate the UK??
No wonder the DUP didnt like it.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009

Tom
Your welcome to your Utopia Tom but the majority who voted do not want this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/07/german-spd-leader-martinschulz-seeks-united-states-europe-2025/

Advertisers