Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
OG, i would like to modify one of your comments in the above.. relating to the financial crash in 2008 and the assumption that it was unforeseen...
It was foreseen, was written about and a number of the big players knew it was going to happen , just not exactly when... Many were planning on one last fllng.. . So hubris played a part.
Actually that wan't one of my comments, but in the piece i was quoting, my comments was at the very end, but ignoring that I'm sure you are correct.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Listening to the types of statement today, my timeworn excuse of " the dog ate my homework", and" it fell of the bike carrier into a puddle of water" , seem masterful in their clarity,.. Even as we didn't have a dog, and I walked to school.
That the UK cabinet have neither had cabinet meetings or weekend think in sessions, on what is the biggest social , legal and economic event in 50 years, plumbs the depths of absurdity.
This is in fact more along the lines of an excuse I used when it was realised I had broken a window.
"I was cleaning my catapult and it went off!

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
The Independent usefully pointed out that the Orange Order NI government seems to pick and choose which pieces of UK legislation it observes:

brexit-northern-ireland-dup-abortion-equal-marriage-dup-doesn-t-mind-diverging-from-the-uk-a8093096.html

It seems strange to me that people seem to be acutely aware that the party representing the NI protestant terrorist organisations unionist people of NI, are wielding their new-found power and wealth in a way that may disadvantage large parts of Great Britain yet, no-one seems in the least interested in the position of Gibraltarians, who overwhelmingly voted to remain in the EU.

What a mess!

Tom

• Agree

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The Independent usefully pointed out that the Orange Order NI government seems to pick and choose which pieces of UK legislation it observes:

brexit-northern-ireland-dup-abortion-equal-marriage-dup-doesn-t-mind-diverging-from-the-uk-a8093096.html

It seems strange to me that people seem to be acutely aware that the party representing the NI protestant terrorist organisations unionist people of NI, are wielding their new-found power and wealth in a way that may disadvantage large parts of Great Britain yet, no-one seems in the least interested in the position of Gibraltarians, who overwhelmingly voted to remain in the EU.

What a mess!

Tom
Gibraltar seemed quite keen on regulatory alignment. However there is already a hard border,in fact very hard between Spain (the EU) and Gibraltar,so the border problem does not exist.
KudosDave

• :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
OG, i would like to modify one of your comments in the above.. relating to the financial crash in 2008 and the assumption that it was unforeseen...
It was foreseen, was written about and a number of the big players knew it was going to happen , just not exactly when... Many were planning on one last fllng.. . So hubris played a part.
Actually that wan't one of my comments, but in the piece i was quoting, my comments was at the very end, but ignoring that I'm sure you are correct.
And not just the big players, I not only knew it was coming but made money by very accurately forecasting it's start. The start was actually in October 2007 and I hurriedly cashed in a property investment at the end of September, just before the start of the prices dropping in October.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I was surprised that Davis,to placate Foster,said that regulatory alignment applied to the whole of the U.K. I wasn't sure whether that was intentional or a mistake. Well now Boris Johnson and some leading Tories have said that they are not happy with this deal,they see it as soft Brexit camouflaged,they are probably right.
So if May gets a deal with Ireland by UK wide regulatory alignment,she then has to fight that deal with the 35 Tory bastards.
Poor Theresa May must feel that this is not a solvable problem.
Crashing out is also not a solution as the boss of the CBI threatened earlier today.
Mrs May its checkmate,time to tip the King over.
KudosDave

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I wasn't sure whether that was intentional or a mistake.
it may be unintentional but it is correct.
We are seeking a much closer relationship with the EU after the transition period outside the single market and customs union compared to Canada, that can only be acceptable to the EU if we guarantee that we won't race to the bottom and we will maintain same level of quality as the EU, meaning we will keep to convergence of standards. That is just red rag to the hard brexiters.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
However there is already a hard border,in fact very hard between Spain (the EU) and Gibraltar,so the border problem does not exist.
KudosDave
Are you sure about that Dave? I have witnessed just how difficult that border crossing can become when the Spanish authorities decide to remind the UK that pedestrian and motorised traffic only crosses over as they see fit.

We should not forget that London, Scotland, NI and Gibraltar all voted to remain in the EU - these are not insignificant parts of the UK and it is way past time for the government to give some greater consideration to those areas. The government, instead, dogmatically continue to railroad their ill-conceived fantasy through with no plan, no strategy, simply claiming to be exercising the will of the people on one particular day, after they had been saturated with lies about what 'Brexit' would achieve.

We now have a clearer idea of what 'Brexit' means, rather than the childish comment about 'B means B' from the stupid bitch occupying 10 Downing St in the absence of a proper politician:

24796675_1641588195862310_2864954478093671198_n.jpg

This is how 'YouGov' depicted the voting breakdown by age group following the 2017 GE. Since then, the Labour party has increased its popularity at the expense of the despicable party:

24796518_929722103853377_6093896085086024554_n.jpg

This clown and inveterate liar was hand-picked by the tory leader:

24312548_1641408989213564_9182784237344015382_n.jpg

We really now have to throw the wagon into reverse and hit the throttle till we are well away from the cliff-edge.

Tom

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So if May gets a deal with Ireland by UK wide regulatory alignment,she then has to fight that deal with the 35 Tory bastards.
They shouldn't be a problem. She should reach the agreement and then tell those 35, agree or I call an election to let Labour in, who will set up customs union and a common market for the whole UK.

That will shut them up.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Are you sure about that Dave? I have witnessed just how difficult that border crossing can become when the Spanish authorities decide to remind the UK that pedestrian and motorised traffic only crosses over as they see fit.

We should not forget that London, Scotland, NI and Gibraltar all voted to remain in the EU - these are not insignificant parts of the UK and it is way past time for the government to give some greater consideration to those areas. The government, instead, dogmatically continue to railroad their ill-conceived fantasy through with no plan, no strategy, simply claiming to be exercising the will of the people on one particular day, after they had been saturated with lies about what 'Brexit' would achieve.

We now have a clearer idea of what 'Brexit' means, rather than the childish comment about 'B means B' from the stupid bitch occupying 10 Downing St in the absence of a proper politician:

View attachment 22375

This is how 'YouGov' depicted the voting breakdown by age group following the 2017 GE. Since then, the Labour party has increased its popularity at the expense of the despicable party:

View attachment 22376

This clown and inveterate liar was hand-picked by the tory leader:

View attachment 22377

We really now have to throw the wagon into reverse and hit the throttle till we are well away from the cliff-edge.

Tom
I think Daves comment about the Gibraltar border as not being a problem, is that it is already as rigid as possible and there would be no give. There is nothing to negotiate, so no problem!!

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
They shouldn't be a problem. She should reach the agreement and then tell those 35, agree or I call an election to let Labour in, who will set up customs union and a common market for the whole UK.

That will shut them up.
Now I dont want to get stuck into uk parliamentary business, but why would she not elicit support from the Labour side if going for a softer option. ?

• Agree

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I think Daves comment about the Gibraltar border as not being a problem, is that it is already as rigid as possible and there would be no give. There is nothing to negotiate, so no problem!!
I beg to differ 'Danidl' for this reason: At this moment, both sides of that Spanish border are EU states. Immediately the UK removes itself from the EU, different checks and responsibilities will require to be in place at that same border checkpoint otherwise Gibraltar could become a smuggler's paradise.

As things stand now, Gibraltar is the registered business address of quite a number of companies trading in the UK in financial and insurance markets. I wonder what the attraction is for them:confused:. Moreover, I wonder if they will still be there post-'Brexit', given the EU's intention of toughening up legislation on tax evasion/avoidance.

Tom

Last edited:

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
  • Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Now I dont want to get stuck into uk parliamentary business, but why would she not elicit support from the Labour side if going for a softer option. ?
Possible, but I was working on the assumption that support might not be available. Then she could just face down her 35 extreme right by the threat of a general election.

Either way I dont see a problem in getting a soft Brexit.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
What does corruption look like in British politics? If the bribe by the despicable tory thieves and liars to their despicable friends in NI isn't enough, they then allow David Davis to go unpunished for lying repeatedly to parliament:

http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2017/12/07/corruption-tories-on-brexit-committee-vote-down-contempt-of-parliament-proceedings-against-david-davis/

Tom
The most important attribute when engaging in negotiations is an assumption of honesty, that what is said if meant and that the other party will keep to their word. . Mr Davis has squandered that. Even if the British parliament refuses to censure him and remove him as their negotiator, he now has zero credibility in Brussels.
The most charitable thing that may be said about him is that he misled his own parliament

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
As things stand now, Gibraltar is the registered business address of quite a number of companies trading in the UK in financial and insurance markets. I wonder what the attraction is for them
There is no estate duty, capital gains tax, inheritance tax, wealth, gift or other capital tax in Gibraltar.
CT is 10%, maximum tax on personal income is about £27k. Well suited to stash family fortune.

• Useful
Reactions: oldtom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The most important attribute when engaging in negotiations is an assumption of honesty, that what is said if meant and that the other party will keep to their word. . Mr Davis has squandered that. Even if the British parliament refuses to censure him and remove him as their negotiator, he now has zero credibility in Brussels.
The most charitable thing that may be said about him is that he misled his own parliament
He seems to me a straight talking tory MP if such kind exists.
His boss is taken hostage by the hard brexiters in their party, she is stuck with what she promised them last year: out of the SM and CU. Now she will need the Daily Mail and the Sun to come to her rescue: we can pay £50 billions but can't pay the cost of no deal brexit.
I suggest she call Mr Murdoch as soon as possible.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I beg to differ 'Danidl' for this reason: At this moment, both sides of that Spanish border are EU states. Immediately the UK removes itself from the EU, different checks and responsibilities will require to be in place at that same border checkpoint otherwise Gibraltar could become a smuggler's paradise.

As things stand now, Gibraltar is the registered business address of quite a number of companies trading in the UK in financial and insurance markets. I wonder what the attraction is for them:confused:. Moreover, I wonder if they will still be there post-'Brexit', given the EU's intention of toughening up legislation on tax evasion/avoidance.

Tom
Old Tom....as Danidl has posted,I only meant that the structure of a hard border already exists at Gibraltar but it doesn't exist in Ireland.
I made no comment as to any change is status on either side of the Gibraltar border.
KudosDave

Last edited:

Advertisers