Brexit, for once some facts.

Steb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2017
london
The shortest time route to the continent is by ferry from rosslare to Cherbourg. Travel through the uk is marginally cheaper but always took longer. The pembroke to channel ports takes how long? The angesea to channel ports a bit longer.
If the UK were to play silly about air routes, then they can give up any notion of going to tge USA.. the Shannon ATC covers the north Atlantic.
This is decending into farce.
Does this Mr Fox know anything about international treaties, the law of the sea etc? .. perhaps he should spend a day in the maritime college in Portsmouth, where my brother trained.
If he actually came out with that guff, he should not be let out without nurses.
true, but shemozzles post helpfully illustrates some of the anglophile delusions of grandeur that propels brexit, as if England (not the United Kingdom) is a world power and fulcrum around which everything rotate. it would be a farce if we weren't on the same desperately insignificant, unproductive, unenlightened little island as the other 17 million who harbour these kinds of thoughts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
what if TM is dethroned tomorrow?
who do you think will replace her?

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

Steb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2017
london
she wont be, the tories are desperate to avoid a leadership contest (it will be a very public tearing apart between hard and soft brexitters, and hand the next election on a plate to corbyn, and they know it). and wonderful that is, I relish the more slow tearing apart that will happen instead.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
David Davis would be likely, Boris Johnson isn't well positioned enough at present.

If they had any sense though they'd choose one of their upcoming young members, fresh blood to bring new inspiration.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
She wont be...the gang of 35 prefer to let her take all the flak...the only possibility is if she starts to steer towards a soft Brexit,second referendum or just says we should remain....then the 35 will want a definite hard Brexiteer,maybe Rees-Mogg. That could cause war inside the Tories.
I fear for her health,she hasnt had a pleasant day since she took the job,it must be very stressful,especially after the house of lords start attacking her repeal bill,that is if it gets out of MPs hands.
KudosDave

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Many EU leaders think the plans are fanciful, but Ahern suggested they could work, provided the UK was willing to turn a blind eye to smaller traders ignoring customs rules.
We used to have a tradition of that here on the North East Coast, the technical term was "Smuggling"
This was a career change for the better for my Ancestors of the Bell Clan after the decline of looting, pillaging, blackmail, extortion and Cattle Raiding.

Steb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2017
london
She wont be...the gang of 35 prefer to let her take all the flak...the only possibility is if she starts to steer towards a soft Brexit,second referendum or just says we should remain....then the 35 will want a definite hard Brexiteer,maybe Rees-Mogg. That could cause war inside the Tories.
I fear for her health,she hasnt had a pleasant day since she took the job,it must be very stressful,especially after the house of lords start attacking her repeal bill,that is if it gets out of MPs hands.
KudosDave
it is curious, I didn't think I had the capacity to feel sorry for her, but she is beginning to permanently have that gripped rigor mortis Munch's the scream expression I associate with particularly grim Monday mornings.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Danidl....is this sensible....

Bertie Ahern, the former Irish prime minister, has broadly backed the UK government’s plan for the Northern Ireland/Ireland border after Brexit. In a position paper in August (pdf), the government suggested that a hard border could be avoided, even if the UK left the customs union, through a strategy dubbed by some “technology and trust” - operating a trusted trader scheme, and using new technology.

Many EU leaders think the plans are fanciful, but Ahern suggested they could work, provided the UK was willing to turn a blind eye to smaller traders ignoring customs rules.

Everyone knows that HMRC customs are already useless at collecting duty,now there will be a differential between a small trader and a big one.
You can see the confusion at the border,little traderA goes across the border 10 times per day with 2 bikes in the back-no duty,big traderB gpes across once per week with 100 in his truck-pays duty. Anyone who trades knows that the small guy can wreck the business of the big guy if he has a price advantage,e-bay is the example of that.
The irish will be working out ways illegally round the tariffs,give them the opportunity to do it legally and the border becomes irrelevant.

You have to say these politicians are not the brightest bunch!!!!
KudosDave
There is one of those stories told about the irish NI customs post where every day a guy on a bike would show up with a suitcase tied to the carrier with a piece of string. Every day the customs man would have him untie the string and open the suitcase.. and it would be empty each time. This ritual continues for a number of months and eventually the customs man says... look I don't know what your up to but today's my last day here so what's going on .. well the cyclist gets back on his bike and calls back over his shoulder.. I'm smuggling suitcases.

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
We used to have a tradition of that here on the North East Coast, the technical term was "Smuggling"
This was a career change for the better for my Ancestors of the Bell Clan after the decline of looting, pillaging, blackmail, extortion and Cattle Raiding.
.. aha the old ways!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt is sounding out colleagues and donors about a possible leadership bid, the Sunday Times reports. Hunt has publicly switched sides on Brexit after campaigning to remain last year and is lining himself up as an alternative to Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson should Theresa May stand down.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-27/brexit-bulletin-final-offer

• Informative
Reactions: flecc
There is one of those stories told about the irish NI customs post where every day a guy on a bike would show up with a suitcase tied to the carrier with a piece of string. Every day the customs man would have him untie the string and open the suitcase.. and it would be empty each time. This ritual continues for a number of months and eventually the customs man says... look I don't know what your up to but today's my last day here so what's going on .. well the cyclist gets back on his bike and calls back over his shoulder.. I'm smuggling suitcases.

ah, that'll be me in a couple of years, but I'll be on a KTM eBike every day ;)

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Reminds me of the distraught Viking Ship joke....OH NO,NOT RAPING AND PILLAGING AGAIN!!!
KudosDave

• :D

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
.. aha the old ways!
We were essentially democratic and all for "Equal opportunities"
Not so much "Rob Roy" as "Rob Anybody"
Very much into free movement of People, and goods too, the favoured and effective way of separating one from the other ensured everyone got the same deal.
Members of the Clan were exempt from this "care in the community" of course.
Interestingly this led to a sales boom in kilts of the Bell Tartan, and at any one time there were always more Bell Tartan kilts to be seen on a moonlit night than the clan had actual members.
These people were looked upon by the Clan in much the way Tax evaders and those with off shore bank accounts are today.
Although for a much smaller remuneration than the DUP required a sort of temporary exemption (rather like insurance) could be mutually beneficial.

• Agree

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
David Davis would be likely, Boris Johnson isn't well positioned enough at present.

If they had any sense though they'd choose one of their upcoming young members, fresh blood to bring new inspiration.
At least that would be news. All I’m hearing at the moment is, Man gets engaged to woman and motorist has Renault car stolen. BORING.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
At least that would be news. All I’m hearing at the moment is, Man gets engaged to woman and motorist has Renault car stolen. BORING.
I agree, I'm dreading the next six months of dreary obsession with a royal couple.

I'm sure Theresa May is absolutely delighted with both the news items you mention, anything that gets the media off her as a subject is welcome from her point of view.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and tillson

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
We were essentially democratic and all for "Equal opportunities"
Not so much "Rob Roy" as "Rob Anybody"
Very much into free movement of People, and goods too, the favoured and effective way of separating one from the other ensured everyone got the same deal.
Members of the Clan were exempt from this "care in the community" of course.
Interestingly this led to a sales boom in kilts of the Bell Tartan, and at any one time there were always more Bell Tartan kilts to be seen on a moonlit night than the clan had actual members.
These people were looked upon by the Clan in much the way Tax evaders and those with off shore bank accounts are today.
Although for a much smaller remuneration than the DUP required a sort of temporary exemption (rather like insurance) could be mutually beneficial.
Bell.
Very common family name around this part, and judging from the pedigree above were probably `encouraged` to leave scotlands shores around the Ulster Plantation times.

would have a staunchly Unionist outlook and in all probability regular DUP voters no less ! :)

Advertisers