Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
We haven't even left the EU yet but here we get a taste of how employers will operate once freed from the 'red tape and bureaucracy' surrounding workers' rights.

This is absolutely despicable by Tesco and without workplace safeguards in place, we will soon be back to the days of queuing up outside the factory or dockyard/container port, (if any such places still exist), to be picked for a full day's work, just to prevent the kids from starving to death.

tesco-tells-christmas-temps-will-get-wages-via-prepaid-cards

Merry Christmas!

Tom
. Is that not illegal?. Dont people have a right to be paid in the coinage, unless they explicitly agree otherwise?

Reactions: robdon

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
We haven't even left the EU yet but here we get a taste of how employers will operate once freed from the 'red tape and bureaucracy' surrounding workers' rights.

This is absolutely despicable by Tesco and without workplace safeguards in place, we will soon be back to the days of queuing up outside the factory or dockyard/container port, (if any such places still exist), to be picked for a full day's work, just to prevent the kids from starving to death.

tesco-tells-christmas-temps-will-get-wages-via-prepaid-cards

Merry Christmas!

Tom
Just like a zero hours contract then.

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and robdon

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
. Is that not illegal?. Dont people have a right to be paid in the coinage, unless they explicitly agree otherwise?
I'm afraid not 'Danidl'. The legislation permitting all workers to receive wages in the form of real money in a pay packet was enshrined in the 'Truck Act(s)' if memory serves me correctly. That was abolished in the 1980s.

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I wonder just how much regret there exists out there. Perhaps another referendum is the only way to get the definitive answer to that as I suspect many who regret having voted to leave last time can't actually bring themselves to admit it among their peers for a variety of reasons. In a polling booth, they can put a mark wherever they want and no-one need know how they voted.

This 'Guardian' article considers the change of mood and potential for a different result, were the matter to be re-run.

protest-vote-regret-voting-leave-brexit

Tom

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Last edited:
  • Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm afraid not 'Danidl'. The legislation permitting all workers to receive wages in the form of real money in a pay packet was enshrined in the 'Truck Act(s)' if memory serves me correctly. That was abolished in the 1980s.
It won't be long before as in the long ago, Navvies on the Railway were paid in beer and credit in the company shop and Canteen, and ended up with virtually nothing.
The Referendum and its Brexit outcome does have a good aspect though.

It's done more damage to the Conservative Party than anything else in my lifetime, and will do much more yet. It could even become terminal.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hope springs eternal comes to mind!
A little bit better than just hope I think, their potential to split into two parties is more evident now than ever before. If Brexit goes sour as I'm sure it will, that split could actually happen as the majority moderate Remainer faction distance themselves from those who caused their problems.

And there's more to the rift than just Brexit, the right wing faction are increasingly unsuited to the way the world is developing. The desire for independent isolation is only one indicator of the fundamentally out of date views of such as Jacob Rees Mogg, Boris Johnson et al, all of whom would be more at home in the nineteenth century.

These two factions will not be able to co-exist long term.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The Irish EU commissioner has stated that May could cure the Irish problem, by the UK or at least Northern Ireland staying in the single market and the customs union. Foster immediately reacted that NI would not be customs separated from the rest of the UK,as the DUP are holding up the Tories in Westminster then that is not an option.
Staying in the single market is politically unacceptable to Liam Fox and the 35 Tory bastards (that seems the number Anna Soubry thinks) because we won't be able to do deals with China etc,the mention of staying in the single market causes Fox to start chucking his toys around. Anyway,if we stay in the customs union we might as well stay in the EU.
There was an Irish lady MP having a battle with Owen Paterson (Brexiter) on the politics show,they were discussing the Irish border,she was much more convincing than Paterson,she couldn't see any way of avoiding a hard border,which nobody wants....Paterson mumbled about it being a minor problem,minimal trade and could be policed by electronics.....she rightfully pointed out that the EU/Ireland wouldn't accept that,especially if tariff free goods could be shipped directly into Belfast.
Seems to me that this border problem is not solvable unless the UK agrees to staying in the single market and contributes financially to it.
I feel for Theresa May,every week brings another obstacle,she wanted the PM job but not the hassle,and the House of Lords hasn't started yet.
KudosDave

Last edited:

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Seems to me that this border problem is not solvable unless the UK agrees to staying in the single market and contributes financially to it.
what is wrong with people here..!!??

Of course it`s solvable..

TWO options, both to the benefit of the UK and ROI

1/ The ROI also exit the EU, same terms as the UK

2/ Return politically to the UK and give up this archaic notion of some sort of a peasants Republic on the periphery of Europe, where if truth be told the EU doesn`t want them in the first place.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

2/ Return politically to the UK and give up this archaic notion of some sort of a peasants Republic on the periphery of Europe, where if truth be told the EU doesn`t want them in the first place.
Enlarging the UK as the peasant's republic on the fringe of Europe.

Some solution!

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Return politically to the UK and give up this archaic notion of some sort of a peasants Republic
Congratulations Tommie, I have never hit the "offensive language" button before, it took a pretty extreme post to do that
You need to learn to express yourself in a manner befitting an adult.
The Irish are not Peasants, I married one.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

.. Tommie do I note a shrillness in this posting? . It certainly would solve the immediate problems as far as a specific grouping in stormont and Westminster are concerned... But think to the future.
I am surprised that you hadn't suggested that the entire RoI population would not make a pilgrimage to the giants causeway and lemming like throw themselves off the cliffs. It is equally as probable!

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
And there's more to the rift than just Brexit, the right wing faction are increasingly unsuited to the way the world is developing. The desire for independent isolation is only one indicator of the fundamentally out of date views of such as Jacob Rees Mogg, Boris Johnson et al, all of whom would be more at home in the nineteenth century.

These two factions will not be able to co-exist long term.
I believe you may very well be correct 'flecc'. Regrettably, I fear a schism in the tory party will most certainly not benefit anyone hoping for a fairer, more democratic and inclusive administration as I can envisage something resembling the Whigs and Tories from a previous epoch. Currently, I believe it would be possible to identify a number of tories as more akin to the original Whig politics while many can be found among the 'laughable demorats' and we have recent experience of government under a tory/LD coalition.

Those who voted for secession and those who sustain the tory party really need to ask themselves some searching questions, starting with, 'In whose interest is it to leave the EU?'

Tom

Advertisers