Brexit, for once some facts.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feel free to peddle your vitriol in your own posts but please do not attempt to associate mine.
Oh! In this public domain, limited though it is, are you saying that I should not respond to any posts to which I feel so inclined? That would be like someone arbitrarily imposing censorship.

Perhaps you do vitriol, as you call it, better than me but you certainly don't have any monopoly on it. I normally reserve mine for 'Brexidiots', internet trolls, tories and their propaganda machinery. I can always add you to that list if you're going to be childish and incapable of understanding what is actually intended - remember this?
Danidl is entitled to his views without your feeble attempted character assignation
Most people, I feel sure, would have understood that it was Liar Fox about whom 'OG' was being critical when he made reference to 'knowledge deficiencies' in your post #24482. Criticism of politicians goes with the territory and is generally regarded as fair game. Perhaps you are suggesting that we shouldn't criticise these lying politicians and just let them get on with exercising the 'will of the people'.

Tom

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Bell.
Very common family name around this part, and judging from the pedigree above were probably `encouraged` to leave scotlands shores around the Ulster Plantation times.

would have a staunchly Unionist outlook and in all probability regular DUP voters no less ! :)
Not to mention the lovely harp playing of Derek Bell of the Cheftains.....

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Not to mention the lovely harp playing of Derek Bell of the Cheftains.....
We had black sheep among the Clan too for example.
On the Debit side Alexander Graham had to invent the B****y Telephone
"Bell considered his invention an intrusion on his real work as a scientist and refused to have a telephone in his study.."

You have to laugh, don't you?

Among his many patents was one for detecting icebergs... need I say more that could have come in handy, perhaps ever for Mrs May?

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Thanks very much, but if I need my character assinated, i have family for that!,
I don't think Clan Bell members would recognise being "Character assasinated" you need to be a bit more persuasive than that!

After all it's a little along the lines of the old Monty Python Sketch
"You have insulted the Good name of France!"
I'm sure you know what I mean!

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
For those with the Interest and stamina to read it, the EU have done something our Government refuses to do in case it "Damages their Bargaining Position" by publishing a report on the Impact of Brexit on them.

So on the one hand we have the EU being completely transparent as to the effects of Brexit on themselves.
And our Blithering idiots refusing to publish the true situation for us.

Heres the link
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/STUD/2017/602007/IPOL_STU(2017)602007_EN.pdf

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
For those with the Interest and stamina to read it, the EU have done something our Government refuses to do in case it "Damages their Bargaining Position" by publishing a report on the Impact of Brexit on them.
The conclusions are interesting in that some adjustment will be necessarily and obviously required but one has to think that the negative impact on each of the 27 is likely to be far less than that which will affect the UK.

I'm sure many of the member states will consider it a price well worth paying to be shot of the arrogant UK with its idiot group of MEPs!

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and robdon

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
With 'Brexit' in mind and the kind of Eurosceptic apology for a human being that Katie Hopkins has demonstrated herself to be, I have to say kudos to the students at Brunel who made their feelings about her patently clear.

The scene can be viewed in a video clip contained in this link:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/katie-hopkins-brunel-university-students-stage-mass-walk-out-at-debate-as-columnist-speaks-a6749456.

Tom
Irrespective of who the speaker is, and how uncomfortable the topic being covered, I am unhappy with students walking out. They should argue their case. University should be a place where ideas are debated not shouted down or a refusal to engage. I don't say this lightly , but there have been more local cases, including an Irish columnist, being shouted out from a debate in oxford.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The conclusions are interesting in that some adjustment will be necessarily and obviously required but one has to think that the negative impact on each of the 27 is likely to be far less than that which will affect the UK.

I'm sure many of the member states will consider it a price well worth paying to be shot of the arrogant UK with its idiot group of MEPs!

Tom
They seem to be a long way from "Being on the verge or ruin without our Money" as the press would have us believe!

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Irrespective of who the speaker is, and how uncomfortable the topic being covered, I am unhappy with students walking out. They should argue their case. University should be a place where ideas are debated not shouted down or a refusal to engage. I don't say this lightly , but there have been more local cases, including an Irish columnist, being shouted out from a debate in oxford.
MindfuI of the hugely important spirit of free speech, I hear what you say 'Danidl' but in my mind, I can easily make an exception for the despicable woman in this instance - it's on a par with giving Pol Pot's personal assistant a platform to explain the Khmer Rouge's reconstruction programme.

Tom

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
MindfuI of the hugely important spirit of free speech, I hear what you say 'Danidl' but in my mind, I can easily make an exception for the despicable woman in this instance - it's on a par with giving Pol Pot's personal assistant a platform to explain the Khmer Rouge's reconstruction programme.

Tom
Unfortunately we don't or shouldn't get to choose . Unless we are prepared to let the obnoxious, ignorant and Nazi have their say and engage in robust counterargument, we forfeit our right to demand equal time for the meek, the informed and the politically correct.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Unfortunately we don't or shouldn't get to choose . Unless we are prepared to let the obnoxious, ignorant and Nazi have their say and engage in robust counterargument, we forfeit our right to demand equal time for the meek, the informed and the politically correct.
While I agree in principle, the law prohibits many of the arguments that should be aired in Public doesn't it?
You didn't forfeit your rights, they have been surgically removed with a blunt and rusty chainsaw
One might well ask, what has our present situation got in common with the time when it was possible to affect events through rational debate?

And you would have to be foolish not to see where that is leading, to a very bad situation indeed.!

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They seem to be a long way from "Being on the verge or ruin without our Money" as the press would have us believe!
Yes, it amounts to a 7% nett loss, no more than the drop we all suffered due to the 2008 recession. Most have bounced back from that and so will the EU from this new reduction.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
While I agree in principle, the law prohibits many of the arguments that should be aired in Public doesn't it?
You didn't forfeit your rights, they have been surgically removed with a blunt and rusty chainsaw
One might well ask, what has our present situation got in common with the time when it was possible to affect events through rational debate?

And you would have to be foolish not to see where that is leading, to a very bad situation indeed.!
I see Mr Disagreeable is back with as usual nothing to add to the thread,
presumably he thinks everything is fine and it will all work out with no bother?

• Dislike
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and Zlatan

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Oh what joy! the EU have caved into our demands!
From the Guardian
"
The UK has bowed to EU demands on the Brexit divorce bill in a move that could see the UK paying £50bn to Brussels, in an attempt to get France and Germany to agree to move negotiations to trade.

Non-stop behind-the-scenes negotiations have led to a broad agreement by the UK to a gross financial settlement of £89bn on leaving the bloc, although the British expect the final net bill to be half as much.

A senior EU official told the Guardian that the UK appeared ready to honour its share of the EU’s unpaid bills, loans, pension and other liabilities accrued over 44 years of membership. “We have heard the UK wants to come along with the money,” the official said. “We have understood it covers the liabilities and what we consider the real commitments. But we have to see the fine print.”

But like the DUP they will be lucky if they see the colour of our Money!
And I'll bet the Brexit Fans will be filled with delight at this News!
Only a measly £50 Billion Pounds!

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
No reaction as yet from the Murdoch Gutter Press tommorow's papers should be interesting, and the public reaction even more so.
How are they going to dress this Rout as a Victory?

Would someone care to remind me what exactly remains of this "Will of the people" now? it looks more like a "Will of the Wisp"

All the posturing, all the threats, all the "patriotic passion" and then suddenly the Government does the "sensible" thing and caves in.
Except of course it isn't sensible, what they should have done was apologise and ask for Article 50 back, saying sorry it was all a mistake the trouble makers are about the have their bottoms smacked and sent to bed early.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
No reaction as yet from the Murdoch Gutter Press tommorow's papers should be interesting, and the public reaction even more so.
How are they going to dress this Rout as a Victory?

Would someone care to remind me what exactly remains of this "Will of the people" now? it looks more like a "Will of the Wisp"

All the posturing, all the threats, all the "patriotic passion" and then suddenly the Government does the "sensible" thing and caves in.
Except of course it isn't sensible, what they should have done was apologise and ask for Article 50 back, saying sorry it was all a mistake the trouble makers are about the have their bottoms smacked and sent to bed early.
Well that was item 3 on the list.
Item 1 was is a fair deal for eu citizens.
Item 2 is the little matter of a border.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Why are we calling the UK-EU deal a negotiation...we are told that May is offering £50billion for the divorce and that is looked upon as a triumph by the UK!
It won't be long before we agree to build a hard border between the south and north Ireland,nobody except the EU wants that.
God knows what we are going to get out of the trade talks,maybe German cars will be allowed tariff free into the UK.
I thought we were told that our negotiating position was strong because they need us more than we need them.
We are going to end up poor and a third rate country at the end of this,I hope the Brexiteers are happy with the way things are going.
KudosDave

Advertisers