Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Well done! Took a long time to hear it but, no problem I forgive you.
You obviously have not been paying attention, this was my position repeatedly stated from Day one of this thread.
I have not deviated from it, but you apparently have been fantasising that my intent was otherwise.
Perhaps since it took a long time to "hear it" listening more carefully is to be recomended.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Own Goal of the Day in the independent
"
Crops in Cornwall are said to be "rotting in the fields" due to a lack of migrant workers to harvest them in the wake of Britain's decision to leave the European Union.

The county council has approached the Government to request it implement area-specific migration laws after Brexit, will help to deliver skills to the area.

Cornwall voted to leave the European Union in last year's referendum by more than 56 per cent, considerably above the national average. The area is home to 17,000 EU nationals, making up 3 per cent of the county's population. But research commissioned by the council found that, since the Brexit vote, staffing levels for farms had dropped to 65 per cent of what would normally be required."

What fun, getting what you deserve.. educational, that's Brexit
Shame about the crops, perhaps public spirited Brexit Voters can be recruited to volunteer to pick them?

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Own Goal of the Day in the independent
"
Crops in Cornwall are said to be "rotting in the fields" due to a lack of migrant workers to harvest them in the wake of Britain's decision to leave the European Union.

The county council has approached the Government to request it implement area-specific migration laws after Brexit, will help to deliver skills to the area.

Cornwall voted to leave the European Union in last year's referendum by more than 56 per cent, considerably above the national average. The area is home to 17,000 EU nationals, making up 3 per cent of the county's population. But research commissioned by the council found that, since the Brexit vote, staffing levels for farms had dropped to 65 per cent of what would normally be required."

What fun, getting what you deserve.. educational, that's Brexit
Shame about the crops, perhaps public spirited Brexit Voters can be recruited to volunteer to pick them?
It is a crying shame. So who do you think has made these EU guys feel that they are not wanted. I would suggest that it won't be the odd yob, that may or may not have voted Brexit, rather, it will be the remoaners who have continually spouted doom and gloom awaits us and indeed anyone else who cares to stay.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It is a crying shame. So who do you think has made these EU guys feel that they are not wanted. I would suggest that it won't be the odd yob, that may or may not have voted Brexit, rather, it will be the remoaners who have continually spouted doom and gloom awaits us and indeed anyone else who cares to stay.
Definitely not, the EU migrants here expressed their dismay immediately the referendum result was announced, with many already saying they felt unwelcome and probably wouldn't stay.

Neither Brexiters or Remainers comments brought that about, it was the unexpected result that shocked them.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Its not just yobs in Spain, France and Greece...its the entire nations.
Perhaps showing how sensible they are? Our trouble in the UK is our widespread excessive obedience to even the worst laws. Servile obedience is fine if one has a government with the people's interests at heart like that in Germany, but not with a UK government only looking after it's own interests.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
The remainers seem unable to understand biggest part of business success is confidence in markets. Since last June they have done nothing but put country down and then blame Brexit for exactly the things this destruction of confidence has caused. Its been self full filling and the example OG spouts with his predicted gleefull " I told you so" will never accept he has as much responsibility for situation as any Brexit voter.

• Agree
Reactions: PeterL

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Perhaps showing how sensible they are? Our trouble in the UK is our widespread excessive obedience to even the worst laws. Servile obedience is fine if one has a government with the people's interests at heart like that in Germany, but not with a UK government only looking after it's own interests.
Are you assuming we should just ignore EU directives and , for example, just continue selling fuel in Gallons and potatoes in lbs..??? Civil disobedience? Surely not from you flecc ?

And by the way gallons are an infinitely more sensible unit for buying petrol/ diesel.
We know and understand numbers upto 10 very well indeed...buying 5 gallons is intrinsically more meaningful than buying 22 litres..( We have 10 digits, so although we like maths / units to reflect " ten ness" ie to base 10. Ie SI units we also like things in units of size we can use numbers between 1 and 10...especially when filling car it appears..how many of us still convert to gallons? Its not just because historically we know gallons...its also to do with numbers we have a feeling for..its why we like to give height in feet...and buy veg in Lbs...
If you get my drift....OG wont ofcourse..

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • :D
Reactions: flecc and PeterL

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Are you assuming we should just ignore EU directives and , for example, just continue selling fuel in Gallons and potatoes in lbs..??? Civil disobedience? Surely not from you flecc
As I said, the worst laws., i.e. those that make no sense. Common weights and measures with those we trade with make sense in a land like the UK which imports so much of its needs.

But where a law makes no sense or obviously needs to be subject to interpretation, it should be ignored when suitable. I do all the time.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
As I said, the worst laws., i.e. those that make no sense. Common weights and measures with those we trade with make sense in a land like the UK which imports so much of its needs.

But where a law makes no sense or obviously needs to be subject to interpretation, it should be ignored when suitable. I do all the time.
Mmm. How do you buy your fuel in Gallons when its sold in litres ???

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Cannot agree more.
We seem to have a system that exists to massage the vanity of politicians rather than govern.
The latest EU nonsense is that vaping liquids can only be sold in 10 cc bottles rather than the 30cc that were normal.
No doubt some idiot politicos feel really good about this. The reality is that my son in law buys his supplies on Ebay, 500ccs at a time (all in 10cc bottles)
Of course, the UK will rigidly enforce this measure
Meanwhile, in Italy where they seem to be able to ignore any inconvenient law...............................

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Mmm. How do you buy your fuel in Gallons when its sold in litres ???
As long as you control the pump you can. You just have to good at mental arithmetic and know all the conversions. I do and also keep tabs on consumption on my vehicles in mpg, for example, one of mine has used 241 gallons of petrol in it's life with me to date, averaging 28.2 mpg.

But there are other areas where I use metric because it's more convenient then. I've actually done that nearly all my life since 1950 when I was first working with metric equipment, long before EU membership. Using the best tools for the job makes sense, as you posted.

However I was mainly speaking of laws under our direct control rather than regulations enacted by third parties on behalf of government.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
For years your country has decided to be represented by Muppets, and choose to view it under the jaundiced eye of a highly partisan press. It is no wonder you as a people became disillusioned
or in your particular case represented by that highly respectable parliamentarian Gerry `the IRA Commander` Adams

at least our Unionist MEP muppets, Nicholson and Dodds have a certain self-respect and decency, although they can`t direct terrorism or strip and rebuild an AK47 in 60 seconds.

You`ve been really lucky down there in Louth to harness such talent.

• Disagree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Don't be too confident. Originally in UK law we had assisted bicycles dealt with as motorcycles, with all the legal implications. That persisted for 38 years until the EAPC regulations recognising e-bikes as something different. Then we made our own pedelec laws, but instituted a rigid 200 watt limit, coupled to an assist speed limit of 12 mph. We also brought in restrictive weight limits that made some types of pedelec impossible and a lower age limit that no-one else had.

It was the need to harmonise with the EU that forced a change to 15 mph assist limit 5 years later, but the change to match their 250 watts took 32 years! Finally to further harmonise with the EU the silly weight limits were removed in 2015, but we're still stuck with the lower age limit.

So that's the record, the UK very restrictive and most often unnecessarily so, the EU almost entirely the opposite, even allowing 28 mph assistance speed pedelecs for member countries wanting them and no weight or rider age limits on either type.

I know which governance I prefer in all matters, and it sure as hell isn't the UK's nanny state restrictiveness.
There was never a restriction on the UK having any specific speed limits on bikes imposed by EU. Can you not see that that is the exact problem you have in NI

• Agree

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee

One of the issues here is that until we joined the EU, we had very few laws, commonsense used to prevail. One example being the situation when it snows, or we have ice on the pavements.It was always accepted that you should be careful and walk/act accordingly. Now, it is always someone else's fault, be that the Council or the householder. And, on it goes, always someone else's responsibility, never your own. How much time do you think this wastes and how many pockets does it line?

Advertisers