Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
flecc i can assure you my bikes run perfectly well without the assistance of the above items,
and hopefully when we escape the clutches of the horrid EU we can maybe adopt the US model that`s in some states and have 750W / 20mph.

Roll on March 2019 !!
Dream on, they will want road tax as well.!

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Don't be too confident. Originally in UK law we had assisted bicycles dealt with as motorcycles, with all the legal implications. That persisted for 38 years until the EAPC regulations recognising e-bikes as something different. Then we made our own pedelec laws, but instituted a rigid 200 watt limit, coupled to an assist speed limit of 12 mph. We also brought in restrictive weight limits that made some types of pedelec impossible and a lower age limit that no-one else had.

It was the need to harmonise with the EU that forced a change to 15 mph assist limit 5 years later, but the change to match their 250 watts took 32 years! Finally to further harmonise with the EU the silly weight limits were removed in 2015, but we're still stuck with the lower age limit.

So that's the record, the UK very restrictive and most often unnecessarily so, the EU almost entirely the opposite, even allowing 28 mph assistance speed pedelecs for member countries wanting them and no weight or rider age limits on either type.
Dont bother him with Facts... considered poor taste by Brexit Fans.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
The first point raised is a fact , the rest are opinions.
So regarding the first point. The minutes of the UK cabinet discussion are not published. The discussions of the Irish cabinet likewise are not made public. In fact it is an offense for the discussion to be published..even by a minister. There would be no freedom of information request entertained....
I was quoting from
"EU facts behind the claims: UK influence"

Look under Democracy..They were not opinions but findings.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Dream on, they will want road tax as well.!
It might not be such a bad thing.

Having just driven home, in the car I was tuck behind a group of cyclists for at least 3 miles. Absolutely no regard for the fact they were both slower and more vulnerable. Times certainly change from my younger days on a bike. We obviously need defined cycle ways/routes and someone will have to pay for them!

• Agree
Reactions: tommie

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Don't be too confident. Originally in UK law we had assisted bicycles dealt with as motorcycles, with all the legal implications. That persisted for 38 years until the EAPC regulations recognising e-bikes as something different. Then we made our own pedelec laws, but instituted a rigid 200 watt limit, coupled to an assist speed limit of 12 mph. We also brought in restrictive weight limits that made some types of pedelec impossible and a lower age limit that no-one else had.

It was the need to harmonise with the EU that forced a change to 15 mph assist limit 5 years later, but the change to match their 250 watts took 32 years! Finally to further harmonise with the EU the silly weight limits were removed in 2015, but we're still stuck with the lower age limit.

So that's the record, the UK very restrictive and most often unnecessarily so, the EU almost entirely the opposite, even allowing 28 mph assistance speed pedelecs for member countries wanting them and no weight or rider age limits on either type.

I know which governance I prefer, and it sure as hell isn't the UK's.
Come on flecc we all know full well all those laws are ignored. ( my own Haibike was totally illegal when purchased, second hand)
Every other post on here is telling how to detestrict or build your own Firblade challenging Ebike. Just another example of laws being flouted, esprcially EU ones..
In Spain and France they use the " No Vehicle Signs" off road as target practice...Our own village gendarme told me to ignore the signs..whilst inspecting my mc..

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Do you honestly think that the LSE is capable of producing an unbiased report on this matter?
I don't trust them to lie as thoroughly or comprehensively as a Conservative Politician would be my qualified response to that.
Speaking of which has Boris been pressured into telling the truth about being wrong in what he said?
Or even better been given the sack?
Naturally not, being a Tory and a Brexit major culprit means he is free to say any fantastically foolish thing that makes the Brief journey through his brain.
You could always give his job to Jackass Grease Smug and let him loose on an unsupecting world.
Are you saying the LSE are incompetent, and if so why? apart from their annoying habit of rubbishing the Brexit Fantasy of course.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Come on flecc we all know full well all those laws are ignored. ( my own Haibike was totally illegal when purchased, second hand)
Every other post on here is telling how to detestrict or build your own Firblade challenging Ebike. Just another example of laws being flouted, esprcially EU ones..
In Spain and France they use the " No Vehicle Signs" off road as target practice...Our own village gendarme told me to ignore the signs..!!
Reminds me of our trips to the US!

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
In Spain and France they use the " No Vehicle Signs" off road as target practice...Our own village gendarme told me to ignore the signs..!!
And that is exactly why Britain is simply not suited to the EU project.
Our values are so different.

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
[QUOTE="oldgroaner, post: 408520, member: 15142"Are you saying the LSE are incompetent, and if so why? apart from their annoying habit of rubbishing the Brexit Fantasy of course.[/QUOTE]

Taking money from the late Saddam Hussain do for a start?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
And that is exactly why Britain is simply not suited to the EU project.
Our values are so different.
Only a large faction hold that view, it is not as you would like to make out "the will of the people"
You have no proof whatsoever to make that statement, and the Referendum was no proof of it either.
It was just a snapshot of an angry population that protested about being badly governed and stoned the wrong victim in their ignorance.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
[QUOTE="oldgroaner, post: 408520, member: 15142"Are you saying the LSE are incompetent, and if so why? apart from their annoying habit of rubbishing the Brexit Fantasy of course.
Taking money from the late Saddam Hussain do for a start?[/QUOTE]

Like this you mean?
Would that be the one formerly a client state and champion of US policy in his fight against Iran?
And who passed huge sums though London Banks?
"
In the name of God the most merciful the most compassionate

Mr. Governor of the Iraqi central bank

We are giving, with this written note, permission to Mr. Qusay Saddam Hussein and

Mr. Hekmat Mezian Ibrahiem to receive the following amounts of money:

1- Nine hundred and twenty million American dollars. 2- Ninety million Euros. To protect and save them from American aggression.
racking the Dollars

The captured finance minister, al-Azzawi, has described a scheme involving banks in Beirut, Lebanon and Amman, Jordan, U.S. officials told ABCNEWS. According to al-Azzawi, those banks disguised their requests for U.S. cash by using the London headquarters of a British-based bank as a go-between.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not so, most of the laws I quoted were obeyed because there was no other option. For example, registering assisted bikes because they had to display their rear number plate and tax disc. From 1983 the 200 watts and 12 mph assist limit because they were the only e-bikes available and not powerful enough to be made to go better. There's only so much can be obtained from the wiper motor some used. And when some riders tried to defy the weight limits to have e-trikes they were arrested and threatened with the loss of their machines which were confiscated for a while and then banned from use.

It's only in the more recent years that some flouting has been possible, but not all.

• Agree

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Only a large faction hold that view, it is not as you would like to make out "the will of the people"
You have no proof whatsoever to make that statement, and the Referendum was no proof of it either.
It was just a snapshot of an angry population that protested about being badly governed and stoned the wrong victim in their ignorance.
Now tell me that you are not rerunning the Referendum.

Advertisers