Brexit, for once some facts.

Steb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2017
london
We have been over that ground so many times, that a furrow is worn. I ,we know the names of our local MEPs , I can go, were I so inclined to the local office of the EU, around the corner from the Dail,and I have knowledge of who our current EU Commissioner, elected by the Dail is. .. I don't particularly like him and his bluster, but I know who he is. I don't know the name of the official in the car tax office, who reminded me of my need to renew, so that person is nameless not faceless.
I can recognise the voices and faces of a number of Hollywood actors , but is just as meaningless as 48% as the people in a majority rule parliament.

I get the arguement about 13% representation.
Think for a moment about sovereignty. The UK has and retained sovereignty, were it not, then leaving the EU, instead of the monumental own goal, it is, it would be treason rebellion or sedition. Any of the commitments that the EU commission are seeking recompense for are those which in its sovereignty, the UK freely agreed to undertake. The amounts of money might be in dispute, but not the principles.
Could you be specific as to what if any issue the UK as a whole agreed on, and how and whether it was prevented by Brussels?
There is one section in your posting I find disturbing and that is a reference to" currying favour" with named individuals. It is disturbing because it exhibits a servile mentality. That one would lobby a parliament to make a case or bring something to notice, is very normal. The parliamentary parties are not all knowing so representations need to be made. But the notion that one would seek favours, by kowtowing is appalling in a democracy and is positively mediaeval.
Given that we have been instrumental in destroying most of the middle east and the global economy (and that's deliberately only squinting at the last twenty or so years, looking further back is simply too embarrassing) the 13%representation may be quite opportune, a neutral observer may well argue its time we learn something about cooperation instead of continuing as the terrible narcissistic infant we've been

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Bits of them, come on OG you should be more 'honest' with your comments. We are still going to be trading with the EU whatever happens.
When birds migrate it's just a free few at first then the main body follow, it will be the same with banks, for what is the incentive to remain in a backwater?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
This whole "we are 13% so we don't have our say" is getting a bit boring. The UK has lost any credibility or influence it could have had in EU governance by not electing hard working honest MEPs. They are the voice of the UK people in the EU parliament and if they aren't participating well tough luck for you.

The voting in the EU is done by group so you have a conservative group and surprise surprise their view point is basically the same viewpoint as your UK government. How strange, conservatives from all over a continent who share common points of view and world view, who would have thought...

While you are out reading up on how the EU works check out how the US works - State government, Federal government the way the roles of each come into play in daily life. The US is supposed to be the model of democracy and capitalism but I (and some others) feel they have recently lost the plot.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Given that we have been instrumental in destroying most of the middle east and the global economy (and that's deliberately only squinting at the last twenty or so years, looking further back is simply too embarrassing) the 13%representation may be quite opportune, a neutral observer may well argue its time we learn something about cooperation instead of continuing as the terrible narcissistic infant we've been
And presumably the rest of EU, specifically France, has been absolutely fine.
Our colonial ambitions were killed stone dead by end of second world war, we,d realised the game was up and worked towards where we are today. Everybody turns a blind eye to France and De Gaulle. He actually stated France could never be a powerful nation without expanding its influence in Indo China ..and promptly attempted to invade Vietnam..( where he got his ass kicked)...they then ( the French) convinced USA Vietnam would become communist without their intervention ( a complete lie America fell for)

On the democracy issue..it seems we all accept there is a problem with representation as Union becomes larger...so lets make it massive...
As for you knowing your MEP, that's very good of you but why should I have to get to know mine...I,m happy enough with my MP thanks..( dont worry though your MEP will be going soon) He had precious little influence in Brussels any way, way less than his counterpart at Westminster.

No matter how many times we visit problems with EU and dig farrow even deeper , the problems still remain. I,m not that keen on people in Albanie, Luxembourg etc etc having as much say as me what happens in UK, and collectively they have way more sway. Again, thanks but no thanks. I,m very happy with Westminster and all its faults, we just dont need more politicians , European especially.
It seems to me more people think along lines I do, we had a referendum about it you know.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Our colonial ambitions were killed stone dead by end of second world war, we,d realised the game was up and worked towards where we are today.
We didn't realise anything of the sort and grimly hung on to the overseas possessions to the bitter end. It was the USA's determination to end all colonialism, as they'd already ended Spain's pre war, that meant we were forced to comply in order to get post war aid. Even after that we still desperately hung on to the scraps that were left, Rhodesia in 1965 for example, and years later The Falklands in the 1980s.

they then ( the French) convinced USA Vietnam would become communist without their intervention ( a complete lie America fell for)
Of course it wasn't a lie, Vietnam is communist to this day. It was going to end up that way with or without either French or US intervention.

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
We didn't realise anything of the sort and grimly hung on to the overseas possessions to the bitter end. It was the USA's determination to end all colonialism, as they'd already ended Spain's pre war, that meant we were forced to comply in order to get post war aid. Even after that we still desperately hung on to the scraps that were left, Rhodesia in 1965 for example, and years later The Falklands in the 1980s.

Of course it wasn't a lie, Vietnam is communist to this day. It was going to end up that way with or without either French or US intervention.
Ho Chi Min wanted originally to establish Ametican based democracy.Their first independence constitution was a copy of American. Crass decisions and intervention by the French forced him.to seek help from the Chinese. Just post war American OSS actually trained Viet Minh.
French turned to UK for help, we refused and put in place our extraction from Burma. America sided with France in a bid to unite Europe against Soviets. The villain of the entire episode was France and specifically DeGaulle. ( Look how many French were killed in Vietnam, it constitutes their biggest military disaster outside World wars)
Falklands was completely different. Its a stupid parallel and you know it. British colonial ambitions post WW2 pale into insignificance at side of French, you know enough about history to know that too.
Yet, its Brits who get labelled colonial. BS.

Last edited:

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
You`re all being told what to do, legislation, laws etc are being imposed on you by faceless bureaucrats in Brussels.
Do you not get embarrassed being so wrong, so often?

From the drivel you quote about the EU, I have to think you really don't understand its structures and you are simply regurgitating the kind of stuff you get in 'Sun/Mail' headlines.....and probably at your lodge meetings.

Seriously, you would do yourself a favour by doing some research into the EU, its history and its structures. The stupid, well-hackneyed expression about 'faceless bureaucrats' is simply a lie. In the course of a little research, you will discover that all the main players most certainly do have faces and they have all been revealed in official photo shoots. If you should alternatively wish to condemn 'unelected officials', you will discover that the said officials have been appointed to specific posts from within the ranks of elected members, so that would be another lie.

While what we understand about the world of business, trade and commerce, which we refer to as capitalism, is the way all the countries on mainland Europe and indeed, most of the world interacts, the EU in spite of housing some very capitalist-minded people, is a model of equity, democracy and presents a framework within which capitalism can flourish.

Don't take my word for it - read about it.

Tom

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Do you not get embarrassed being so wrong, so often?

From the drivel you quote about the EU, I have to think you really don't understand its structures and you are simply regurgitating the kind of stuff you get in 'Sun/Mail' headlines.....and probably at your lodge meetings.

Seriously, you would do yourself a favour by doing some research into the EU, its history and its structures. The stupid, well-hackneyed expression about 'faceless bureaucrats' is simply a lie. In the course of a little research, you will discover that all the main players most certainly do have faces and they have all been revealed in official photo shoots. If you should alternatively wish to condemn 'unelected officials', you will discover that the said officials have been appointed to specific posts from within the ranks of elected members, so that would be another lie.

While what we understand about the world of business, trade and commerce, which we refer to as capitalism, is the way all the countries on mainland Europe and indeed, most of the world interacts, the EU in spite of housing some very capitalist-minded people, is a model of equity, democracy and presents a framework within which capitalism can flourish.

Don't take my word for it - read about it.

Tom
BS.Anybody who believes this rubbish might think they know about models of democracy but are clueless with simple arithmetic.
Our 1 representative commissioner ( out of 28) represents our 60 million population...Its democracy by name alone.
Yes , his vote carries slightly more weight than 1/28...It carries 13%...leaving 87% voting power in the hands of the other 27...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tommie

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
British colonial ambitions post WW2 pale into insignificance at side of French, .
I didn't say they didn't. But you are still discounting the US pressure that made us reluctantly lose the colonial rule. The French and de Gaulle in particular were made of tougher stuff, always opposing US intervention in what they regarded as their business.

However, at least once the French departed from their colonies they accepted that. Very different from the way we have continued to try to influence them through forming a Commonwealth of those nations, using that as a way to try to force them to conform to our will.

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and robdon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
And presumably the rest of EU, specifically France, has been absolutely fine.
Our colonial ambitions were killed stone dead by end of second world war, we,d realised the game was up and worked towards where we are today. Everybody turns a blind eye to France and De Gaulle. He actually stated France could never be a powerful nation without expanding its influence in Indo China ..and promptly attempted to invade Vietnam..( where he got his ass kicked)...they then ( the French) convinced USA Vietnam would become communist without their intervention ( a complete lie America fell for)

On the democracy issue..it seems we all accept there is a problem with representation as Union becomes larger...so lets make it massive...
As for you knowing your MEP, that's very good of you but why should I have to get to know mine...I,m happy enough with my MP thanks..( dont worry though your MEP will be going soon) He had precious little influence in Brussels any way, way less than his counterpart at Westminster.

No matter how many times we visit problems with EU and dig farrow even deeper , the problems still remain. I,m not that keen on people in Albanie, Luxembourg etc etc having as much say as me what happens in UK, and collectively they have way more sway. Again, thanks but no thanks. I,m very happy with Westminster and all its faults, we just dont need more politicians , European especially.
It seems to me more people think along lines I do, we had a referendum about it you know.
Degaulle must have been some operator there he was at his conception even prior to his birth arguing for French indo China. And low and behold by his birth the state of indochine including Vietnam was in place !.

The U.K. problem with the European union is precisely that... it's problem. For years your country has decided to be represented by Muppets, and choose to view it under the jaundiced eye of a highly partisan press. It is no wonder you as a people became disillusioned

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I didn't say they didn't. But you are still discounting the US pressure that made us reluctantly lose the colonial rule. The French and de Gaulle in particular were made of tougher stuff, always opposing US intervention in what they regarded as their business.

However, at least once the French departed from their colonies they accepted that. Very different from the way we have continued to try to influence them through forming a Commonwealth of those nations, using that as a way to try to force them to conform to our will.
Yes , I agree flecc. The Anericans were anti colonial post WW2 and as such people should get to know what part the French played in Americans getting involved in Vietnam.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Degaulle must have been some operator there he was at his conception even prior to his birth arguing for French indo China. And low and behold by his birth the state of indochine including Vietnam was in place !.

The U.K. problem with the European union is precisely that... it's problem. For years your country has decided to be represented by Muppets, and choose to view it under the jaundiced eye of a highly partisan press. It is no wonder you as a people became disillusioned
The Japanese kicked the French out. Viet Minh inherited Vietnam post Hiroshima. French re invaded 1946 under DeGaulle, who at time said a great power like France needed colonies.
I,ve said all along post WW2.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Its fact Flecc. How can you disagree.?
Easily, because you edited your post after I posted the Disagree. I posted that when all you'd posted was "BS", no figures included.

Now you've added figures I've removed the Disagree since those figures are factual. However I still disagree with your opposing stance on this matter since, unlike you, I understand why there has to be a Commission formed that way. I have of course previously explained that to you.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Anericans were anti colonial post WW2
And long, long before, for the whole of the 20th century in fact. In the first part of the century they drove the Spanish out of their colonies by warfare, such places as the Phillippines for example.

The Americans have two phobias, Colonialism and Communism, and will go to any lengths to wipe out either, whether they are real or imagined. .

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
And long, long before, for the whole of the 20th century in fact. In the first part of the century they drove the Spanish out of their colonies by warfare, such places as the Phillippines for example.

The Americans have two phobias, Colonialism and Communism, and will go to any lengths to wipe out either, whether they are real or imagined. .
Yes, again quite true but Vietnam was well on its way to becoming a democracy under Ho Chi Min in 1945/6 and under American OSS guidance. The Vietnamese were wanting to be recognised and nobody did. The French marched in, drove Ho Chi Min north. Americans were in a quandary and very worried about Europe being strong to counter Soviets so reluctantly backed French ( eventually)
Without the French invasion Vietnam would have been a democratic nation from 1946. Chinese then helped Viet Minh...leading to America taking up struggle in name of anti communism.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The Japanese kicked the French out. Viet Minh inherited Vietnam post Hiroshima. French re invaded 1946 under DeGaulle, who at time said a great power like France needed colonies.
I,ve said all along post WW2.
Your original post referred to UK colonial involvement post ww2. No reference to France post WW2. . As France had been the occupying power for 60 + years, and had only been kicked out by the Japanese for 4, they would have claimed they were reoccupying that which was theirs. In the same way as when the courts decide and evict squatters. ... Not agreeing , but it was no different from the English reasserting authority over the channel islands, Burma and other colonies .

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Without the French invasion Vietnam would have been a democratic nation from 1946.
Possibly, but we can't sure with both Chinese and Russian interfering influences driving any dissatisfacted element towards communism, Korea for example, a mess to this day. Vietnam could still have tumbled into communism, it was after all Vietnamese forces that took over the country when the American were driven out, not Chinese.

It's an irony that it's the western forces of capitalism that's doing the very same thing in the opposite direction now. For example the US interference, aided by the EU, in the internal affairs of the countries encircling western Russia that's led to both wars and chaos in The Ukraine and Georgia, The Crimea opting to shift camps and the present East-West tensions.

Truly humans never learn.

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and robdon

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Your original post referred to UK colonial involvement post ww2. No reference to France post WW2. . As France had been the occupying power for 60 + years, and had only been kicked out by the Japanese for 4, they would have claimed they were reoccupying that which was theirs. In the same way as when the courts decide and evict squatters. ... Not agreeing , but it was no different from the English reasserting authority over the channel islands, Burma and other colonies .
Whatever their justification does not take away the fact French had very strong colonial desires and were willing to kill thousands enforcing them..( until they were totally out manoevered by Giap and suffered thousands upon thousands of their own dead.

Advertisers