Brexit, for once some facts.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Dream on.

"British infrastructure projects seeking funds from the European Investment Bank will need to insure the bank against the risks of Brexit, its president said at the weekend, as he warned that Britain’s departure from the EU would damage its ability to fund infrastructure.

"He echoed warnings last week from the National Infrastructure Commission that the UK’s efforts to overhaul energy and transport infrastructure would be damaged by ejection from the EIB, as he signalled the bank would take a larger role in future in financing eurozone projects."

Speaking to the Financial Times on the sidelines of the IMF annual meetings, Mr Hoyer insisted that lending to UK projects would continue “while the UK is a shareholder and a member”, but said it was inevitable that lending to the UK would fall from recent levels of about £7bn a year."
https://www.ft.com/content/aaaaa9cc-b1b2-11e7-aa26-bb002965bce8
I said we ( meaning our government) not EU or IMF... If we don't we are really in a mess.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
we will have to do this over next decade if we leave.
Except of course that we won't will we?
Why do you imagine anyone would do that in a country that just Rogered it's biggest Market and Best Customers with a Rag Man's Rusty Trumpet, and behaved as badly as the Brexiteers have towards them?

Our own Investors are best described as parasites that go to the cheapest spot with the least rules and regulations on the planet then swindle us of the Tax Due fom them.

Foreign Companies here would be mad to risk their money here and most likely the ones already here will ship out

Guess who is left to foot the Bill ?

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Well said Mr. Davis..

"Let me be clear, we cannot have anything resulting in a new border being set up with in the UK," said Mr Davis after the sixth round of UK-EU talks on citizens' rights, the Irish border, and the UK's "divorce bill".

"We remain firmly committed to avoiding any physical infrastructure.

"We respect the EU desires, but they cannot come at the constitutional integrity of the United Kingdom."

At the end of the day the UK doesn`t need the EU....

jog on Mr. Barnier!
Tommie, both you and I and a growing number of unionists , particularly in the agricultural business field in N I agree that a hard border on the island of Ireland is a bad thing. Likewise the majority of unionists would likewise see a customs border between the mainland of the UK and Ireland, either North or South as a very bad thing
What we might disagree on is how to prevent it happening. There have been two articles in the Irish Times and rte recently, one describing how a border would economically damage a cross border farm... The David Crockett story, and the other how agricultural health hazards will increase unless there is joint or dual inspection of agricultural facilities on both sides of the border.
The only way is either for the UK to retain single market status or to create a set of understandings which has the same effect. .. joint validation of abbatoirs , and meat Packers, joint vetinary inspections. The latter would put additional burdens on the UK , without the benefit of being able to steer legislation

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I said we ( meaning our government) not EU or IMF... If we don't we are really in a mess.
Actually old chap that comes down to it coming out of our pockets, doesn't it?
And selling it off no doubt will follow if pervious experience is anything to go by!

We will either end up taxed to Hell, owned by someone else, or living onIMF loans.
And we will still have the same incompetents in charge.
Been there, done that.
What, as the saying goes
"Could possibles go wrong?"
EVERYTHING

• Agree

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
They did, Austin Princess R with a bought in Rolls Royce 4 litre engine. Also the Austin Champ military version with an RR. B series 4 cylinder.

Using other's engines had long been well known in the motor industry, many makers of commercials not making engines at all, ditto motorcycles, and all with the same unions for their work forces.
I certainly remember the Austin Champ - you had all four (I think) gears available in reverse - we used to have races around Paderborn going backwards in the sand dunes at 60mph plus - great fun!

• Agree

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
No , I dont think we have. You might have seen plenty of investment in London , the Shard etc etc but what has happened anywhere else to stimulate growth and competiveness. Nothing. We don't even try to compete with anything...The whole country needs investment in Infrastructure ( our roads are worst in Europe) Industry needs re-establishing and more investment.
I,m hoping ( expecting) we will have to do this over next decade if we leave. We,ve been stagnating for years.
Sort of agree with this. The only caveat being the Northern Powerhouse albeit that does seem to have stalled somewhat - Yes, Brexit will be the catalyst for all of this.

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
It's about fairness, people in Sweden for example are happy to pay very high tax rates for two reasons. Firstly theirs is about the most even society in the world with a much smaller gap between the lowest and highest earnings and living standards than other countries. Secondly they see the tax money they all pay coming back usefully in kind, keeping their society so well balanced.

The UK is so far away from that ideal it's little wonder taxation is resented here.
To be fair Sweden is a much smaller country than ourselves.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Another standard Tory ploy is imply that someon made a statement that they didn't.
I did not say that something sinister was going on, did I?
You might not have said it but you / Tom clearly implied that there was something sinister going on - or did I imagine it?

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
I've just read this.....and I'm astonished...astonished...... I tell you, to find that behind my back Dundee has been moved to England.....and here was I planning to nip up there to buy some coffee beans.
Few from Dundee even know where Fife is - you'd be better of going to Brazil for coffee beans. - we only do Jam and Jute.

• Disagree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Not true, but there of course less people there and they consume much more energy because of their location
http://www.ifitweremyhome.com/compare/GB/SE
I should go on about the unemployment figure being higher, we know at least 10% and probably more of ours are in non life supporting work and living on handouts while in Debt.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Not true, but there of course less people there and they consume much more energy because of their location
http://www.ifitweremyhome.com/compare/GB/SE
I should go on about the unemployment figure being higher, we know at least 10% and probably more of ours are in non life supporting work and living on handouts while in Debt.
For those of us living in Scotland there's not that big a difference in latitude but I grant you, it probably is colder overall.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Agreed, but I can't see why it won't scale. They have top executives of major international companies with salaries very much closer to those of their employees than we have, so their taxation is much closer too. A fair society such as that can exist at any size.

Last edited:

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
]

Agreed, but I can't see why it won't scale. They have top executives of major international companies with salaries very much closer to those of their employees than we have, so their taxation is much closer too. A fair society such as that can exist at any size.
The differences are fairly extreme, they've maintained neutrality for a start which is hardly a choice for ourselves albeit some do call for versions of it. Hard to find any fault with the Swedes I have worked with them in the past and visited many times - lovely people.For whatever reason, wish I knew, we do seem to have a dependancy culture which wasn't evident in Sweden.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I certainly remember the Austin Champ - you had all four (I think) gears available in reverse - we used to have races around Paderborn going backwards in the sand dunes at 60mph plus - great fun!
While in the army I entered a road rally driving a military champ, with the disadvantage that I was classed on engine size with lots of high end cars. But on the manouverability tests in Mayflower Park, Southampton I was able to make up a lot of ground, partly through being able to reverse at the same speed as forward on a two direction circuit, partly through precision placing between sets of distant markers.

So 13th place and a commendation certificate against Jags, BMWs, Bentleys etc was fine by me.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
While in the army I entered a road rally driving a military champ, with the disadvantage that I was classed on engine size with lots of high end cars. But on the manouverability tests in Mayflower Park, Southampton I was able to make up a lot of ground, partly through being able to reverse at the same speed as forward on a two direction circuit, partly through precision placing between sets of distant markers.

So 13th place and a commendation certificate against Jags, BMWs, Bentleys etc was fine by me.
Snap - I too used to rally in a Champ, also great fun. About all I can claim is living to tell the tale.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For whatever reason, wish I knew, we do seem to have a dependancy culture which wasn't evident in Sweden.
I think that's directly due to the perception of fairness for all, which includes doing one's share as well as receiving one's share. When society is unfair it's easy to excuse oneself taking advantage and not co-operating, as a compensation for the perceived unfairness.

Advertisers