Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Story I read somewhere suggested he,d said he knew where she could put her hands to warm them up. Not cleverest thing I world to say, but come on. Yes, its sleazy and shouldn't be said but if that and putting his hand on Brewer's knees are worst he,s done he,s probably best behaved mp we,ve ever had. World has gone mad. Seems we applaud Mick Jagger's appalling behaviour with 22 year olds ??? We tolerate for years and years all sorts of abuse in various towns, in BBC,and it now seems most Hollywood female stars have been raped but Fallon put his hand on somebodies' knee and this happens. We go after the wrong people. ( unless there is far more to come out)
Why NOW? what is our attention being diverted from, and why?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Why NOW? what is our attention being diverted from, and why?
It's part of the tactics being used by recent governments. They need to please as many as possible of the electorate by doing things almost universally approved and be seen to be doing them.

Hence the concentrated campaigns for some years on the subjects of sex offences and terrorism, both offences hated by almost everyone who then largely approve of the actions.

And it can be cheap to do which very much suits government. For example just incessantly bring up the subject of sex offenders daily on the media to encourage any past victim or imagined victim to come forward, arrest those accused who are often very elderly and easily found and detained and launch a ready made case. Their defence chances in a jury trial are slim of course, so the conviction rate so high that the rare losses are not worth considering.

Terrorism has a different self interest reason for their pursuit policy, it's politicians who can often be the targets, for example the Brighton bombing of the tory party conference hotel and MP Airey Neave being blown up in his car in the House of Commons car park. Jo Cox MP being shot and stabbed to death was a form of terrorism too, so government doesnt care how much that part of the campaign costs.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It's part of the tactics being used by recent governments. They need to please as many as possible of the electorate by doing things almost universally approved and be seen to be doing them.

Hence the concentrated campaigns for some years on the subjects of sex offences and terrorism, both offences hated by almost everyone who then largely approve of the actions.

And it can be cheap to do which very much suits government. For example just incessantly bring up the subject of sex offenders daily on the media to encourage any past victim or imagined victim to come forward, arrest those accused who are often very elderly and easily found and detained and launch a ready made case. Their defence chances in a jury trial are slim of course, so the conviction rate so high that the rare losses are not worth considering.

Terrorism has a different self interest reason for their pursuit policy, it's politicians who can often be the targets, for example the Brighton bombing of the tory party conference hotel and MP Airey Neave being blown up in his car in the House of Commons car park. Jo Cox MP being shot and stabbed to death was a form of terrorism too, so government doesnt care how much that part of the campaign costs.
There is another reason in respect of these ludicrously titled "wars on terror.". The status quo always benefits because fear drives people to become entrenched.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Be good if one could use the bias in the various media outlets to cancel each other out and discover the underlying truth. If only it was that easy, ha.
As smart a comment as I've ever read on here. When I think about the positions taken on this thread and then those on the Fascism returns to Spain one with a mix of what happens up here whenever INDYRef2 comes up that would just about cancel everything out - other than blaming the Tories of course, that's a constant!

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The question I was posing was actually this , why would Politicians choose a time when the country faces the biggest challenge it has faced since the second world war to launch into this "me too" situation of bringing up old grievances, which, however dire they may be, the individual concerned wasn'r sufficiently motivated at the time they occurred to take the matter further as they should have done?

Surely if these people have the interests of the Nation at heart, they could have waited for a less damaging time to do so?

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and PeterL

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
The question I was posing was actually this , why would Politicians choose a time when the country faces the biggest challenge it has faced since the second world war to launch into this "me too" situation of bringing up old grievances, which, however dire they may be, the individual concerned wasn'r sufficiently motivated at the time they occurred to take the matter further as they should have done?

Surely if these people have the interests of the Nation at heart, they could have waited for a less damaging time to do so?
Let me take my previous comment back - here's a first. I agree totally. AS an OAP probably an element of self-interest as I'm obviously in the firing line.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
As smart a comment as I've ever read on here. When I think about the positions taken on this thread and then those on the Fascism returns to Spain one with a mix of what happens up here whenever INDYRef2 comes up that would just about cancel everything out - other than blaming the Tories of course, that's a constant!
And that of course is the Unbiassed opinion of a Conservative supporter, the Party known for it's strict attitude to truth and fair dealings.
Keep it.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
other than blaming the Tories of course, that's a constant!
the tories are rightly an easy target. They are much more in power than out of it for the last 50 years, so responsible for most of the changes.
If you take away their policy of lower taxes, virtually everything else they have done is harmful to the many: big bang, selling off public assets, tuition fees, participating in unnecessary wars etc..

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
My biggest and main objection to Brexit is that in my humble opinon this nation lost the art of ruling itself efficiently and humanely long ago, and the current trend is for it to fall further and further under the malevolent influence of the right wing press and Political Factions.

Moderation went out of the window, and only the slight but nonetheless modifying influence of belonging to the EU has slowed down the descent into a repeat of the 1930's where Corporate Power uses people as drones.

Just for a moment look at the Calibre and actions of our elected representatives.
They behave like a bunch of Drunken Louts fighting over the Deckchairs on the sloping Deck of the Titanic.

Here as they say is a "Cunning Plan"
We need a referendum, not this time about Brexit, but whether or not to require Parliament to be subjected to annual review by Public Vote as to whether they are allowed to continue or are kicked out and proscribed from ever holding public office as individuals again.

On the other hand perhaps we should just close the Palace of Westminster and sell it off as Social Housing.

Well that was fun, and largely in jest, but seriously changes are really needed aren't they ?

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
the tories are rightly an easy target. They are much more in power than out of it for the last 50 years, so responsible for most of the changes.
If you take away their policy of lower taxes, virtually everything else they have done is harmful to the many: big bang, selling off public assets, tuition fees, participating in unnecessary wars etc..
There's more to it than that: the whole structure of our Parliamentary system stopped being fit for purpose years ago.
It doesn't serve the public as a primary concern, only a Faction that pulls the strings.
A system where most of the elected Politicians have no effective power because their faction is not the most numerous is fatally flawed.
All elected Mp's should share power by an agreed proportion, not be excluded. from it.

• Agree

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
My biggest and main objection to Brexit is that in my humble opinon this nation lost the art of ruling itself efficiently and humanely long ago, and the current trend is for it to fall further and further under the malevolent influence of the right wing press and Political Factions.

Moderation went out of the window, and only the slight but nonetheless modifying influence of belonging to the EU has slowed down the descent into a repeat of the 1930's where Corporate Power uses people as drones.

Just for a moment look at the Calibre and actions of our elected representatives.
They behave like a bunch of Drunken Louts fighting over the Deckchairs on the sloping Deck of the Titanic.

Here as they say is a "Cunning Plan"
We need a referendum, not this time about Brexit, but whether or not to require Parliament to be subjected to annual review by Public Vote as to whether they are allowed to continue or are kicked out and proscribed from ever holding public office as individuals again.

On the other hand perhaps we should just close the Palace of Westminster and sell it off as Social Housing.

Well that was fun, and largely in jest, but seriously changes are really needed aren't they ?
There's something in what you say, the problem is essentially that they (HOP) have far less influence than their predecessors had. Yet they have all the trappings of power and it would seem the belief that makes them attractive... We all know what happens in such situations, idle minds and all that.

Some might say that Brexit offers the solution to that particular problem. It remains to be seen how they handle it.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
There's more to it than that: the whole structure of our Parliamentary system stopped being fit for purpose years ago.
It doesn't serve the public as a primary concern, only a Faction that pulls the strings.
A system where most of the elected Politicians have no effective power because their faction is not the most numerous is fatally flawed.
All elected Mp's should share power by an agreed proportion, not be excluded. from it.
Rule or manage by consent? Might work but I have my doubts, but that can obviously be put down to my own background. I've never subscribed to talking shops - they never seem to get anything done.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Rule or manage by consent? Might work but I have my doubts, but that can obviously be put down to my own background. I've never subscribed to talking shops - they never seem to get anything done.
It's actually an unpopular theory knows as Democracy, been around a long time, but anathema to the power mad.

Strangely we had a Government during the war that went some way to operating on the principle.
Otherwise the Conservatives would have surrendered, remember?

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
But by definition a parliament is a talking shop. The primary function of a parliament is to keep tabs on the executive. Members of a parliament are lay people, supposed to represent the great unwashed, whose function is to ensure that the civil service,eg the police, the army, the tax collectors, maybe even the royality, don't run amuck. The executive being the civil services and those who control them.
Writing legalisation is a secondary function, one of those functions is to define the limits of executive power.

• Agree

Advertisers