Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Again from the Independent
"
Brexit: MP demands Met Police investigate Breitbart 'donations' to Ukip in run up to EU referendum
Individuals paid by the right-wing US news organisation were working as senior unpaid Ukip volunteers, it is alleged

This can't be true, I have been assured many times on here that my suspicions about an international plot are imaginary

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Back in the 90s, I used Cadstar auto router software for PCB layout. Cadstar is not very different to your example of surgery but it is not robotic. A fair degree of human input is still required to finish the work, same way one uses an in car satnav. What would be a surgeon robot is the one that accesses the MRI scan of your friend's prostate then decides a treatment plan all by itself without the need for a human surgeon, anaesthetist, oncologist etc.
I also have had familiarity with autorouting software, I spent a few years evaluating these for our students of electronics. My point to them was that these tools are for computer assisted engineering not automated engineering. If your familiarity is mid 90s, let me assure you there have been significant advances Restricting discussion to only PCB production .. mid 90s would have had multilayer routing. Later versions would have recursive autoplacing, and reiterative routing with targets for path length minimisation , via minimisation etc etc. It would not be feasible to design 14 layer boards without these tools.... Other tools in the suites would generate bills of materials, CNC files for the component placement machines, the solder masks , the temperature profiles for the ovens, and probe data for ATE testing post production.

Again Don't be too sure that medical diagnosis and treatment is not being automated,. Things happen in stages and then the islands of automation start getting linked together.
I worked some 40 years ago with the then world leader in automated haemotology, machines which could count blood cells and generate calculations some of which would diagnose certain cancers, . A colleague of mine was instrumental in the design of the portable Defib machines. .. which basically analyses the ECG, and diagnostic routines then decide if and when to administer shocks accross the heart.
The prostate peeling robot is, I think aligned to the appropriate place, by a surgeon and then does the cutting itself.. I am not sure what level of human guidance is used.
IBM have a major division formed in medical diagnosis.. called appropriately Dr Watson.

My major point though is that we are inundated with robots .. machines which do repetitive tasks for us, ... some are so ubiquitous and so embedded in our infrastructure that they are not seen as machines at all... The flush toilet, the electric lift, down to .. Nespresso machines, where all the work of grinding beans, boiling water ensuring correct temperature etc etc have been automated away.

So doing a building to centimetres precision is no difficulty....

Reactions: robdon and Woosh

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
What's this doing in the Express?
"
REVEALED: The scariest chart in the world when it comes to Brexit negotiations
AN ALARMING new chart shows the scale of the challenge facing UK Brexit negotiators as they seek to set up new trade deals.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Also from the Express
"
I have had ENOUGH' Nigel Farage DEMANDS Brexit meeting with Barnier
NIGEL Farage has written to the European Commission's chief negotiator Michel Barnier to demand a meeting about Brexit."

Don't bother Lord Nigel, nobody wants you any more.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Yeah, let's get our sovereignty back, (that's what they said, isn't it?) and we can dictate trade just as in the old days when seafarers like Kidd, Avery, Morgan and others used the seven seas to ply their 'trade'.

Well.......we could do, except we don't make (or purchase) reliable ships any more it seems:

uk-41822221

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The prostate peeling robot is, I think aligned to the appropriate place, by a surgeon and then does the cutting itself.. I am not sure what level of human guidance is used.
quote from robotic oncology website:

Robotic surgery is really a remote control operation, where the surgeon sits at a real distance from the patient and as he does the surgery, the entire movements of the surgeon are translated through the sensitive fibers of the machine with certain precision to the tip of the instruments. The surgeon can even be in a different hospital, a different state or a different country on another continent, it doesn’t matter, such an operation is truly done in a remote fashion.

http://www.roboticoncology.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/da-vinci-robotic-prostatectomy-1.jpg

Robotics will come to its own when research in AI reaches a human level of general intelligence, that it enables the robots to create goals and make their own decisions.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Further to my last, how are we going to police our shores against contraband goods and people smugglers delivering their cargoes with a naval fleet that relies on make-do and mend craft? Is there some secret plan to privatise the RN or will G4S simply expand their operations in that direction with the Prime Minister's husband's blessing? Oops, my mistake! It seems he doesn't own shares in that company at all - it must be that other £trillion+ company he's involved in which may or may not have anything to do with G4S or any other company with which this government does business in one way or another.

Tom

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What's this doing in the Express?
"
REVEALED: The scariest chart in the world when it comes to Brexit negotiations
AN ALARMING new chart shows the scale of the challenge facing UK Brexit negotiators as they seek to set up new trade deals.
That chart shows that most of the world trade has zero import duty or very low import duty. There will likely be a deal on goods with the EU27, but the real issue is on services, non-tariff barriers to our companies selling services to the EU27.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
"Robotics will come to its own when research in AI reaches a human level of general intelligence, "

There,s a joke there isn't there...better not...in name of peace.

Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
quote from robotic oncology website:

Robotic surgery is really a remote control operation, where the surgeon sits at a real distance from the patient and as he does the surgery, the entire movements of the surgeon are translated through the sensitive fibers of the machine with certain precision to the tip of the instruments. The surgeon can even be in a different hospital, a different state or a different country on another continent, it doesn’t matter, such an operation is truly done in a remote fashion.

http://www.roboticoncology.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/da-vinci-robotic-prostatectomy-1.jpg

Robotics will come to its own when research in AI reaches a human level of general intelligence, that it enables the robots to create goals and make their own decisions.
That is consistent with what I had heard about the training of surgeons with this kit... specifically peeling layers of the skin from a grape. However we are really moving off topic ..which was the probable reduction to the workforce post Brexit as a consequence of the two pressures of less economic activity and the rise in automation
Looking at your chart, I think I'd feel myself richer, more successful if I go back to France.
.. and a more pleasant lifestyle particularly in rural west coast area!!!

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon

Advertisers