Brexit, for once some facts.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Not out of this world, it seems you'd be surprised by how often some of them occur. Perhaps you'd like to suggest one of the things I've listed that you think unlikely?
Depends how you measure likely, every day or once in a blue moon? All are possible as is a ship or even a plane hitting a bridge - that's neither likely nor often, anymore than sink holes appearing on the A1. In such cases no one has much of a chance, probably less in a conventional car with a human at the controls. All fair questions to be put to the manufacturers and indeed the testing regimes of such vehicles, of which I sure there will be plenty. My car has the ability to drive in the fog, literally, I don't need to do anything other than steer the thing and press on the accelerator - it takes care of the rest, keeps me within lane and also keeps me a safe distance from the cars in front. If there's a crash ahead of me I'm confident it will stop before I get there. Not so confident about the cars behind me though. These vehicles are going to be the subject of far more rigorous testing than any other car has gone through to date. They'll be approved in time, it simply has to happen. No doubt, it will be the driver who is held responsible, in the first place for any accident, but the cameras will surely have an influence here? Circumstances may well place the blame on the manufacturer and it wouldn't be the first class action to be brought against the car industry?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They'll be approved in time, it simply has to happen. No doubt, it will be the driver who is held responsible, in the first place for any accident,
Once again this part of your reply doesn't relate to the subject. There is no driver to be held responsible in a driverless car.

I agree about the abilities of existing cars like your one, but in cities they are almost helpless at present in automation terms. They have a very long way to go before being without a driver on our city roads and I don't expect to see it in my expected lifetime.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Once again this part of your reply doesn't relate to the subject. There is no driver to be held responsible in a driverless car.

I agree about the abilities of existing cars like your one, but in cities they are almost helpless at present in automation terms. They have a very long way to go before being without a driver on our city roads and I don't expect to see it in my expected lifetime.
One step at a time. The technology will be complete and in the car long before the driver is legally allowed to sleep at the wheel.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Circumstances may well place the blame on the manufacturer and it wouldn't be the first class action to be brought against the car industry?
predictions about when driverless cars arrive have the habit of being put back.
To make them a reality, the cars need to be certified to SAE 4 or ideally, SAE 5. If you look at predictions in 2015, production cars with SAE4 is predicted to arrive in 2019. Then in 2016, predictions are revised to 2020. Then in 2017, they are revised again to 2022.
If you follow this pattern, in 2018, the predictions will be revised to 2023 and so on. The work is usually underestimated because in AI research, we don't yet know quite what the problems are until we are nearer to the target.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
One step at a time. The technology will be complete and in the car long before the driver is legally allowed to sleep at the wheel.
Fully agreed, we already have cars like that which depend on a driver to catch the current inevitable automation errors.

But I'm discussing driverless, not those having any form of real time human management which are not driverless. That's cars without controls and just a passenger compartment, like Google's "Waymo" experimental ones or some of the truly driverless cars that compete in the US driverless rally. As I've posted, I don't expect to see those in cities in my lifetime, unless there's a city built to suit what we can do.

Last edited:
  • Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

This might open some eyes, an hour well spent in MHO

• Agree

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
This thread has deviated quite considerably from the original subject matter and the current material being posted might possibly merit a thread of its own.

Can we get back to the original matter of 'Brexit' facts which obviously requires the consistent slagging-off of tory inbreds from the Kerr tribe and all those sad apologies for human beings who vote for them?

Tom

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Advanced Alert

From Monday 6th November on BBC Radio 4 at 12.04 pm each day for five days will be a program titled:

Brexit: A Guide For the Perplexed

In them Chris Morris cuts through the jargon to examine what will change when the UK leaves the EU.

Seems like a good opportunity for those who voted for Brexit only on an emotional basis to find out more about what they've chosen.

Here is the link to the first program for those who wish to listen after broadcast at any time on the i-player. Each program link will display the link to the next program in the series of five.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nobody should expect the state to totally provide and take responsibility. We can't afford it and more to the point, it's not good for people.
I don't know anyone who expects the state to provide totally and take responsibility but perhaps you do. In your little bubble, you probably believe the rubbish you read in the tory propaganda rags and hear from the BBC and SKY, because that is exactly the kind of exaggerated lie they have been peddling for generations. They pander to the thickos and easily-led and have been brainwashing the susceptible all your life.

You are simply regurgitating the message they want you to receive and believe but I'm not at all surprised by that.

You really topped off your twisted view by qualifying your ridiculous first sentence with your remark about affordability - you really are out of your mind if you believe drivel like that.

You appear to have no humanity or empathy with the human race whatsoever; it's all about you, it seems.

Tom

• Agree
  • Offensive Language
Reactions: robdon and PeterL

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My video link applies to brexit as well, it is about disruption and your financial "markets" (racket, ponzi scheme) upon which your economy relies is probably about to have a rude awakening.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The Pound rebounded a little today on the news that Michel Barnier says to accelerate the talks.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
My video link applies to brexit as well, it is about disruption and your financial "markets" (racket, ponzi scheme) upon which your economy relies is probably about to have a rude awakening.
I am not worried for the banking boys in London. They'll always find rich people to work for (and rich people will find them).
If anything, the prediction of 75,000 job losses are way too pessimistic.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I've seen the clip with the robot that 3D printed the wall.
No match for a human bricklayer.
Same thing with the robot that picked grapes from the vines.
There are always low hanging fruits in any repetitive tasks, especially in agriculture but advances in robotics and artificial intelligence are a lot harder to achieve.
The example of the ping pong game (shown on BBC click) is about the state of the art in software that recognizes shapes and objects. It takes the Japanese team years to get there and illustrates a combination of specialized hardware and software to recognize a simple spherical object, of fixed dimensions, painted in a special orange colour. Generalize that to recognize weeds in your garden will take a lot more work.
New methods of construction allow designers new freedom so new design concepts arise . Will not future generations not look back at the quaint cobblestones and quaint brick built houses...

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and PeterL

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
This might open some eyes, an hour well spent in MHO

That was a well spent hour. WOOSH FLECC don't miss it whatever you do. I too did Electronics in the 60's and have generally followed it throughout my life. This is good stuff. Get ready for the Autonomous Vehicle it will be far sooner than you think along with many other applications.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Fully agreed, we already have cars like that which depend on a driver to catch the current inevitable automation errors.

But I'm discussing driverless, not those having any form of real time human management which are not driverless. That's cars without controls and just a passenger compartment, like Google's "Waymo" experimental ones or some of the truly driverless cars that compete in the US driverless rally. As I've posted, I don't expect to see those in cities in my lifetime, unless there's a city built to suit what we can do.

The world’s first network of fully self-driving taxis is up and running

NuTonomy, a self-driving company that spun out of MIT and is based in Singapore and Cambridge, Mass., has just launched the first-ever public test of a commercial fleet of fully self-driving cars.

The company, which will be testing its ride-hail service in a Singaporean business district called 1 North, has been testing its self-driving technology in the area since April and was chosen to be the Singapore government’s official partner in the development of this technology earlier this month. NuTonomy plans to deploy a full fleet of vehicles — at least 1,000 — in Singapore by 2018.

Through the test, a select number of people will be able to hail one of six nuTonomy cars — either a Renault Zoe or a Mitsubishi i-MiEV that the company has retrofitted with sensory and self-driving technology — using the company’s proprietary ride-hail app. A nuTonomy engineer will remain on board to ensure the system is working properly and to take over if needed.

In this phase of the trial, the company is hoping to collect data and feedback on the user experience of the car and the app, the efficiency of the vehicle routing systems and other software-related issues.

NuTonomy is certainly not the only company testing autonomous technology in a ride-hail service. Uber and Volvo announced a partnership last week that involved a limited test of its semi-autonomous XC90s, outfitted with Uber’s semi-autonomous technology.

Select users in Pittsburgh could hail these vehicles via the Uber app.

Semi-autonomous technology is typically what the industry considers to be level 3 autonomy because it still requires a person to remain engaged behind the wheel of the car. Level four and five self-driving technology are considered to be fully self-driving because it doesn’t require a person to remain alert or engaged.

When Recode tried out the nuTonomy car while it was still in development, the movement of the vehicle was a bit clumsy, but the software was able to navigate around obstacles like construction and stopped vehicles in ways that few other self-driving prototypes had been able to. That clumsiness, of course, was less of a bug and more of a feature. To err on the safe side, the company’s engineers often program the vehicles to give other objects a wide berth.

The company has been actively speaking to a number of automakers for a potential partnership, nuTonomy COO Doug Parker told Recode during the test drive, and may even consider licensing their technology to automakers sometime down the line.

But as Singapore’s official partner, nuTonomy is laser focused on its goal of meeting the many technical milestones — of deploying self-driving cars without safety drivers, for example — that the government has set.

• Disagree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I don't know anyone who expects the state to provide totally and take responsibility but perhaps you do. In your little bubble, you probably believe the rubbish you read in the tory propaganda rags and hear from the BBC and SKY, because that is exactly the kind of exaggerated lie they have been peddling for generations. They pander to the thickos and easily-led and have been brainwashing the susceptible all your life.

You are simply regurgitating the message they want you to receive and believe but I'm not at all surprised by that.

You really topped off your twisted view by qualifying your ridiculous first sentence with your remark about affordability - you really are out of your mind if you believe drivel like that.

You appear to have no humanity or empathy with the human race whatsoever; it's all about you, it seems.

Tom
That is simply not fair Tom. Come on tone it down, we, ve all slagged each other off
enough, lets just stick to opinions if we cant give facts. All of us.
Everybody, even me and Steb, should be able to post opinions without being insulted.
Yes, I know I,ve been as guilty as anyone in past but come on..time to move on peacefully.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc and PeterL

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
  • Dislike
Reactions: robdon and Zlatan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That was a well spent hour. WOOSH FLECC don't miss it whatever you do. I too did Electronics in the 60's and have generally followed it throughout my life. This is good stuff. Get ready for the Autonomous Vehicle it will be far sooner than you think along with many other applications.
Tom has quite rightly protested that this subject has deviated far from the thread subject and AK has reposted his video on the more appropriate thread titled "The Death of the Car (as we know it)".

Therefeore I will be answering on that thread shortly, meanwhile here is the link to AK's video on that thread.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the independent
"
David Davis concedes that Brexit withdrawal agreement with EU will 'probably favour the union' financially
The Brexit Secretary said the next round of negotiations with Brussels will take place next week

What a surprise! remind me why we are going ahead with Brexit then, is it because we have money to burn?

Advertisers