Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How can that be - he's an academic?
Very easily, academia is far from short of individuals with the strangest of beliefs. It's why they so often argue among themselves, even to the extent of bitter feuds.

And every shade of politics has its academic supporters, they can't all be right.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Very easily, academia is far from short of individuals with the strangest of beliefs. It's why they so often argue among themselves, even to the extent of bitter feuds.
Indeed, but you'd best let OG know that, he seems to be wearing blinkers and generalising where and when it suits - nothing new there of course.

This book might help BIG BOOK OF RUBBISH. I made a start but this is even better...

• Dislike

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
It's true: British universities are grotesquely biased against Brexit
Dear, dear, dear!

What was I thinking when I read post #22031 some time ago, imagining it to be your valedictory speech after trying and failing to come up with any persuasive argument for secession from the EU?

Like the proverbial penny, you have popped up again in this thread to treat the readers to the ravings of a right-wing extremist, an academic whose political hero and indeed, mentor, was one, Enoch Powell.

I'm not quite sure of the reason why you chose to post the ramblings of a bitter man or the point you attempt to make, if indeed there is a point, but perhaps you feel some perverse allegiance to a man who is recognised by most of his fellow academics as something of a renegade and social outcast, by his own choosing.

If your suggestion is that everybody in the world of academia is out of step on the EU except for Sked, then clearly you have a predilection for the 'lone-wolf' type of character who makes outrageous pronouncements, almost certainly because he likes the sound of his own voice and gets attention because of the madness of his argument in the face of all known evidence. That seems to be a common thread among 'Brexidiots'.

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: Steb and robdon

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
OK let's get nautical,Brexit is like a forecast storm,should we heave to,batten down the hatches,snuggle inside the lee cloth and ride it out.
Or,should be get the oilies on,put a bit of canvas up and try to steer through the worst of it.
Or are we going to drown anyway so get the whisky out and don't care.
Dave
I've found most boats can weather a storm unaided.

Steb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2017
london
I've found most boats can weather a storm unaided.
very true (specially sailboats, that sail themselves beautifully). the thing most boats struggle with is a fat lunatic with a fire axe chopping the bottom to pieces. that's brexit. not so much the titanic hitting a berg. more the golden oldies on the upper deck morphing into self destructive zombies.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
very true (specially sailboats, that sail themselves beautifully). the thing most boats struggle with is a fat lunatic with a fire axe chopping the bottom to pieces. that's brexit. not so much the titanic hitting a berg. more the golden oldies on the upper deck morphing into self destructive zombies.
... Does the fat lunatic have blond floppy hair?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The CBI have announced that retail sales have dropped to their lowest since the 2008 recession. Hardly surprising with inflation at 3% and incomes barely increasing over the long term.

More of the Brexit "success" I suppose.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Indeed, but you'd best let OG know that, he seems to be wearing blinkers and generalising where and when it suits - nothing new there of course.

This book might help BIG BOOK OF RUBBISH. I made a start but this is even better...
Calling this government clowns isn't generalising is it?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
After some rigorous and extensive research, I came across this article about what is really going on in our universities in an esteemed news organ, famous for its detailed and forensic examination of facts and statistical matter.

You can read about it here:

http://newsthump.com/2017/10/26/so-called-experts-still-using-facts/

Tom
... if only they were! Academic institutions, no less than other places are still prone to following fashion. The topics which get funded research, the acceptable versus unacceptable conversations occur in all the common rooms . Academics follow bandwagons also.
The only saving grace is that in the experimental sciences , including medicine, objective measurements and objective evidence have a way of worming it's way to the surface.

• Agree

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Catalans have declared independence from Spain, they'll overtake UK leaving EU and leave it in their wake.
(to continue the nautical theme ;))
Will Spain use force or wait them out? Noticed that several banks had already jumped ship, suspiciously quickly? as if they had foreknowledge!

Advertisers