Bafang reliability (my experience - OVERWHLMINGLY POSITIVE!)

vantage

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2022
How do you know for certain your balls weren't obliterated through overuse at high power? Did you tighten that nut using a hammer?
It was indeed a rubber mallet that I used as it kept coming loose.
I have the motor limited to 500 watts which it almost never reaches.
The bearings that went are the ones you see at the bottom of the table. There's one set just behind the main drive cog and another next to the locking ring which we're talking about. That's the one that got crushed on mine. Those ones are I think for side to side play. There are needle bearings for the rotational side of things...all this is theory of course as I'm not an engineer.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It was indeed a rubber mallet that I used as it kept coming loose.
I have the motor limited to 500 watts which it almost never reaches.
The bearings that went are the ones you see at the bottom of the table. There's one set just behind the main drive cog and another next to the locking ring which we're talking about. That's the one that got crushed on mine. Those ones are I think for side to side play. There are needle bearings for the rotational side of things...all this is theory of course as I'm not an engineer.
We're talking about the ring nuts that hold the motor into the bottom bracket. They don't in any way put pressure on any bearings. If you damaged your bearings, you must have tightened the inner ring nuts that hold the axle in and they adjust the free-play in the thrust bearings.

Reactions: vantage

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've been through all that stuff and just about every forum post discussing it, but I don't find anywhere someone that says they have a legally operating throttle or anyone saying how to do it. We must await the info from Voltsnamps. He will explain.
We'll be waiting a long time. I doubt @Voltsnamps will explain. My doubt seems justified, because we're still waiting.

Last edited:

Voltsnamps

Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2023
Not sure what I need to explain that I didn’t before
variable pas (by “throttle”)
ask siri or alexi
works for me, not defining uk law but passes the lift wheel throttle test
Saw gumby post on ES, perhaps you didn’t understand what you were told
Not much I can do for you

• Disagree
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
ask siri or alexi
Not legal in the UK. I don't think you understand the problem. You certainly haven't provided a solution, neither has anyone on ES. Endless Sphere is USA-centric, they're not interested in the 250W BBS01B, like you they don't know UK ebike law. There is no open source firmware replacement project for the BBS01B.

If you do actually know something useful and relevant to UK legal Bafang mid-motor throttles, spell it out instead of spouting endless vague useless bullshit.

Last edited:

Voltsnamps

Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2023
Not legal in the UK. I don't think you understand the problem. You certainly haven't provided a solution, neither has anyone on ES. Endless Sphere is USA-centric, they're not interested in the 250W BBS01B, like you they don't know UK ebike law. There is no open source firmware replacement project for the BBS01B.

If you do actually know something useful and relevant to UK legal Bafang motor throttles, spell it out instead of spouting endless vague useless bullshit.
Cool, works for me, throttle only adds pas
tampering is probably illegal in uk, like Europe , so no promises on legal

you want me to spell it out
(removed by admin)
or send your controller to me , fousand quid, I’ll do it for you

Last edited by a moderator:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Cool, works for me, throttle only adds pas
tampering is probably illegal in uk, like Europe , so no promises on legal
That's not much of an explanation is it? Again, I don't think you understand the purpose of this forum. That's a piss poor explanation. In fact, I'm feeling even less informed than I was before you posted anything.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
ask siri or alexi
We were discussing how to make a throttle dependent on pedalling to make it legal. You said that someone on ES had achieved that using a different firmware, so we asked for details on exactly how to do that or a link to the exact post, which you have not provided yet. Please do so if you can. You did give a link, but it was a general one in which there was no mention of a dependent throttle.

Voltsnamps

Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2023
Doesn’t google work there .?
try wiki bbs firmware
gt
help is all there
01 and 02 are same man with a different hat

I was taught to open doors, never, ever to push anyone through

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Incorrect. The firmware you linked to isn't compatible with the BBS01B. Wrong and useless, yet again. You should really learn to read and write English.

Last edited:

Voltsnamps

Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2023
Incorrect. The firmware you linked to isn't compatible with the BBS01B. Wrong and useless, yet again. You should really learn to read and write English.
Must be different English, works for me, did a bbs01 this morning
but please read warnings on gt

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Must be different English, works for me, did a bbs01 this morning
What did you do exactly? And does the throttle function as @saneagle described in posts #69 and #15? I bet you a small jar of sauerkraut it doesn't.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Doesn’t google work there .?
try wiki bbs firmware
gt
help is all there

I was taught to open doors, never, ever to push anyone through
Here it in post #20, where you said it was ignorance or misinformation that the throttle couldn't be programmed to be dependent. It now seems that it's you, who was spreading misinformation or ignorant!

• Agree

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I did what I was told
No you didn't. Because I have a spare, I don't mind risking a BBS01B controller, if there's reasonable chance of firmware replacement working and resulting in a KT-style UK legal throttle - out of curiosity, not because I need a throttle. I don't see any BBS01B compatibility cited anywhere for the firmware you linked to, or anywhere else for that matter, but if you have, post a link. Or not. I really have had quite enough of your lazy insecure ill informed utterly useless posts. Who knows? Maybe I'll post you a small jar of sauerkraut. You have nothing to lose, and potentially sauerkraut to gain.

Last edited:

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
I 100% disagree with you here, what annoys me is that people don't "understand" English. To read and write it is one thing knowing what you are talking about is another thing altogether.

Voltsnamps

Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2023
I 100% disagree with you here, what annoys me is that people don't "understand" English. To read and write it is one thing knowing what you are talking about is another thing altogether.
+1000’s
You can lead a horse to water…………
But in light of recent news of jail for ebike motor tampering, it would be remiss of me to encourage such behaviour on the net, no more from me on that subject.
Especially when said clown not only “misunderstands” English but also brags that he is psychotic, definitely not one to encourage at all.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
There is something strange about this person. If you look at their posts, almost all of them are argumentative, unpleasant, aggravating arguments. Some people have personality disorders, one of which has these characteristics -

• Agree

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
+1000’s
You can lead a horse to water…………
But in light of recent news of jail for ebike motor tampering, it would be remiss of me to encourage such behaviour on the net, no more from me on that subject.
Especially when said clown not only “misunderstands” English but also brags that he is psychotic, definitely not one to encourage at all.
Useless and wrong again, as usual. Psychopathy worsens with treatment.

I even offered sauerkraut, as my therapist recommended.

You're ignored.

Last edited: