Argos Cheap Ebike £360

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As pointed out the argos 36v has disc mount brakes already.

Reactions: Ghost1951

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What size bar riser do these folders use, I see the rise/stem and handle bar are one piece from the adjustment lower down .

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Well that's one advantage Dahons have: they use standard handlebars - wider can be installed, but go too wide and the bike won't fold as compactly. Most are height adjustable. Handlebars on (disc braked) Dahon Jetstreams aren't.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I was thinking about when my French niece comes to visit, we can all go for a ride about
I am tempted to buy two for my little girls, but I have literally no space for new bikes. I hope they won't discount them even more as I won't be able to resist temptation :)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
They were cheap at £360. Now you can get one at half that price. This has to be the cheapest kit on the market at £180. It'sonly 24v, so an excellent candidate for beastification - a £20 controller and a pair of Turnigy 5ah 5S lipos for £80 gets you a beast for a grand total of £280:

Poor Az is not going to be able to resist this one.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
They were cheap at £360. Now you can get one at half that price. This has to be the cheapest kit on the market at £180. It'sonly 24v, so an excellent candidate for beastification - a £20 controller and a pair of Turnigy 5ah 5S lipos for £80 gets you a beast for a grand total of £280:

Poor Az is not going to be able to resist this one.
I can't imagine why they are throwing bikes out of the front door at these kinds of prices. The suspicious and conspiracy minded among us, might imagine Argos know something dreadful about the bikes, but I am pretty sure that a company like this, would never dare sell anything they thought was unsafe or unsatisfactory. Besides - by all accounts they take back anything defective without any fuss at all, and refund in full.

Could be that they think they know some legal restriction is on the way for e-bikes and batteries without quality certification. They might not want to be left holding large stocks of unsalable goods.... I doubt it though.

I suppose going at about half price, they may be just dumping them at cost.

But why?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Maybe some of them are returns and they are hoping to palm them off as this cheap price ?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Maybe, because of all the battery fire scare stories, bike sales are down so they're getting out of the market.
Or their warehouse insurers have kicked up rough about the storage - same end result.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It arrived. Everything is good. It has to be the best value e-bike on the market. The delivery guys were official Argos ones, so I asked them if they were delivering a lot. They said no, but they had to pick up a return today. I'll see them again next week when the £245 folder comes. Poor old Woosh has got no chance while they're selling these.

I wish I had a bit more storage space. If I did, I'd be writing to Argos to see if they wanted to sell a job lot of returns. £1000 fo 10, and I don't care what's wrong with them.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Maybe they just over bought and have not sold them as fast as they hoped.

Cash flow is important to a business like that and I suppose it is better for the accountants if they just dump surplus stock at cost.

I am wondering how Saneagle is liking his bike. He was supposed to be getting it today.

EDIT: ha ha - posted that remark while saneagle was pressing send, I think.

Double edit. My £245 Argos folder is coming to Newcastle for me on Sunday. I'll be tootling down there to pick it up.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Maybe they just over bought and have not sold them as fast as they hoped.

Cash flow is important to a business like that and I suppose it is better for the accountants if they just dump surplus stock at cost.

I am wondering how Saneagle is liking his bike. He was supposed to be getting it today.

EDIT: ha ha - posted that remark while saneagle was pressing send, I think.

Double edit. My £245 Argos folder is coming to Newcastle for me on Sunday. I'll be tootling down there to pick it up.
Full review coming later today. Perhaps not too long.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
thank goodness both this and the £245 folder are finally out of stock.. I dont need another ebike but the bargain hoarder in me was itching for a fix.. Hope all that got a bargain are happy with their new bikes and thanks for removing the temptation ;)

• Agree
  • :D
Reactions: sjpt and Az.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Argos offered half price electric cookers a few months ago, I doubt there was anything wrong with those either - snapped up within hours.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
The other ebike that's now sold out had a hailong on it, that was a deal-maker I think for a lot of people including me. I also did look at this bike too however do not want a custom battery.

Reactions: Cyclist

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
The other ebike that's now sold out had a hailong on it, that was a deal-maker I think for a lot of people including me. I also did look at this bike too however do not want a custom battery.
Well, that's just you. I have 3 e-bikes and none use Hailong batteries.

Anybody looking for a stealth in-city commuter where with the in-frame battery doesn't make the bike look like a magnet for mugging or theft and 18 miles is enough, this is a brilliant buy. @saneagle even suggested this for someone looking to dither around on Wimbledon common.

If/when the battery does die, I cant see any reason why, if the battery can't be re-celled, you couldn't just mount a Hailong onto the frame. Then it'd just look the typical last decade e-bike with a downtube mounted battery.

For £380, IMHO it's a gift.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Well, that's just you. I have 3 e-bikes and none use Hailong batteries.

Anybody looking for a stealth in-city commuter where with the in-frame battery doesn't make the bike look like a magnet for mugging or theft and 18 miles is enough, this is a brilliant buy. @saneagle even suggested this for someone looking to dither around on Wimbledon common.

If/when the battery does die, I cant see any reason why, if the battery can't be re-celled, you couldn't just mount a Hailong onto the frame. Then it'd just look the typical last decade e-bike with a downtube mounted battery.

For £380, IMHO it's a gift.
Horses for courses. I don't think that bike would suit everyone. It might be low on power because of the small battery, but it did seem to fit the needs, which that guy described, especially at that price.