Argos Cheap Ebike £360

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I've fallen for my own hype and ordered one too. I've convinced myself that I'll use it now and again to nip into town/shops and leave it locked up and not worry too much it being stolen as I would with my other bikes/ebikes. I've got a pretty meaty Bulldog Brute u lock.

I'm gonna keep it as stock as possible (I don't want to add any value to the bike making it more appealing to be stolen) with the exception of swapping out the saddle which from reviews suggest is very uncomfortable. I might fit a cheap pannier rack to accommodate my pannier bag for a bit of shopping and a couple of cheap lights. Maybe a small saddle bag with puncture kit and mini pump/Co2 pump) . That's it.

I can predict that :

It'll take a fair bit of tweaking and adjusting to build when it arrives, no doubt brakes and gears will need serious adjusting
The brakes will be not that great
The tyres will be a bit rubbish and suffer the odd puncture, but we'll see, might be okay on roads, I might get some slime tubes on Amazon for £5 each
The motor is a ShengYi, maybe 40Nm, hopefully enough to get about town
Might have to tighten the odd spoke
The Zoom forks will be heavy and clunky
The straight flat bars could do with some rise, will dig out a higher angle stem from parts bin
The pedals look like they are made from Meccano, again parts bin raid for some spare platform ones
There are no upper frame pannier rack holes, I'll need to get a seatpost clamp with rack posts (5 quid Amazon)

I must remember to keep chanting
It's a £360 ebike
It's a £360 ebike
It's a £360 ebike

Will post a review when it arrives, however I'm away shortly so mine is not arriving for a couple of weeks
I think mudguards may be useful, unless you live in a drier place than I do. :)

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I think mudguards may be useful, unless you live in a drier place than I do. :)
Yep, good call, will pick up some cheap Zefals for a tenner on Amazon.

Looks like it's sold out now on the Argos website.

Reviews to follow

Reactions: Ghost1951

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Yep, good call, will pick up some cheap Zefals for a tenner on Amazon.

Looks like it's sold out now on the Argos website.

Reviews to follow
Yes - I tried two locations accessible to me and it was not available. I was unsure of it was just a regional sell out or national.

throwawaychap

Pedelecer
Dec 19, 2023
I didn't order one but I am really looking forward to reading everyone who got one's personal reports of the bikes; and future upgrades.

I second whoever said that even out of the box it could be a great bike for errands and leaving it locked around town without too much of a worry.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
36v 700c hybrid was £1100 now £499.
Shows one in stock at Herne Bay store.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
emove 28" hybrid half price at £475.
In stock in my local and other stores.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
emove 26" £425 at Tottenham Ct Rd store.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'll tell you on the 9th. On the 10th, I challenge Gurney to a race after I've had a few drinks in that pub.
What's the point? I'm legally limited to 25kph. Besides, everyone who has ever competed against me has died. At the event or shortly after. Horribly too. And the requisite skullduggery for that sort of thing takes more planning and guile than initially assumed, I simply don't have the time to arrange such "unfortunate accidents" with plausible deniability these days. I must be getting old...

If you can stand the thought of visiting Harlech (quite understandably, many don't - I met a nasty hunchback from Harlech, they might all be like that :eek:), why not use your crappy and inadequate new Innvovv 4K camera to record yourself exploding your battery pedelecing up this hill instead?

Point is, I can climb any hill with just 36V and 20A no sweat, instead of 48V and 22A. So there. :p And you had your chance that night, but you couldn't abandon your pint.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
What's the point? I'm legally limited to 25kph. Besides, everyone who has ever competed against me has died. At the event or shortly after. Horribly too. And the requisite skullduggery for that sort of thing takes more planning and guile than initially assumed, I simply don't have the time to arrange such "unfortunate accidents" with plausible deniability these days. I must be getting old...

If you can stand the thought of visiting Harlech (quite understandably, many don't - I met a nasty hunchback from Harlech, they might all be like that :eek:), why not use your crappy and inadequate new Innvovv 4K camera to record yourself exploding your battery pedelecing up this hill instead?

View attachment 59228

Point is, I can climb any hill with just 36V and 20A no sweat, instead of 48V and 22A. So there. :p And you had your chance that night, but you couldn't abandon your pint.
16%! What sort of hill is that. Every time I go out for a ride, I go down a 30% hill with no problem at all.

And yes I have been up it many times too, but that was when I only had 60% of the power I have now.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
16%! What sort of hill is that. Every time I go out for a ride, I go down a 30% hill with no problem at all.

And yes I have been up it many times too, but that was when I only had 60% of the power I have now.
There are steeper hills not too far away, but not anywhere near my usual commuting routes. One of these days, I'll mentally and physically prepare myself for the horror of encountering an entire town teeming with men women and child hunchbacks with squiffy eyes, catch a train to Harlech to climb that hill and videograph the event. Luckily it's close to the train station - interaction with hunchbacks should hopefully be minimal, unless they're very determined. :eek: I think it's got something to do with the nuclear power plant upstream. A train journey to Harlech is suspiciously cheap... a trap to provide the ravenous bosseyed cannibal hunchbacks of Harlech fresh meat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter.Bridge

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
That emove folder is a fantastic bargain.