Argos Cheap Ebike £360

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
£245???? Unbelievable. Also, it is available.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023

This is lighter, but not electric.
It's ideal - just the rear sprocket is 14/28. 20" wheel *52/14 is undergeared (for me anyway). I fitted a 7 speed DNP 11-28 freewheel and then just don't use the 28t cog

An AKM74 20" wheel with KT controller kit is £270 then £200 for a Woosh 10A 36V bag battery + charger, then £200 for the bike - ends up costing around £700 in total but the AKM74 is 1.6Kg and the battery 1.8kg - so the finished bike is a lot lighter and with a KT controller.

Reactions: Az.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Tried to buy one of the 20" bikes and three times my payment was refunded. They must have all sold out or something.

Edit: Naaa - senior moment. I used the wrong authorisation code from a different card to the one they had saved on the site.

Grabbed one. Hope it is OK. At the price, and with a year's guarantee, I won't be complaining I think.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: Bikes4two

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Tried to buy one of the 20" bikes and three times my payment was refunded. They must have all sold out or something.

Edit: Naaa - senior moment. I used the wrong authorisation code from a different card to the one they had saved on the site.

Grabbed one. Hope it is OK. At the price, and with a year's guarantee, I won't be complaining I think.
I look forward to the review. Mine comes on Friday.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I look forward to the review. Mine comes on Friday.
Yes - I will write a review. I am not expecting it to be the best e-bike ever, but I was thinking about when my French niece comes to visit, we can all go for a ride about - I mean my partner and her and myself on ebikes. We could all go over to Gilsland - I wrote about that ride a couple of weeks back. My partner has an oldish Pendelton Somersby 2018/19 and she loves it. It has given us no issues once I woke the battery up when we bought it as a non-runner.

I hope you get on well with yours when it comes. And likewise, I will be looking for a review.

Reactions: Az.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Yes - I will write a review. I am not expecting it to be the best e-bike ever, but I was thinking about when my French niece comes to visit, we can all go for a ride about - I mean my partner and her and myself on ebikes. We could all go over to Gilsland - I wrote about that ride a couple of weeks back. My partner has an oldish Pendelton Somersby 2018/19 and she loves it. It has given us no issues once I woke the battery up when we bought it as a non-runner.

I hope you get on well with yours when it comes. And likewise, I will be looking for a review.
I think you should beastify it. You have to beat the 33 mph of my Cyclamatic.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I think you should beastify it. You have to beat the 33 mph of my Cyclamatic.
I don't know what that is, but I can possibly get it to do 33 mph down one of these steep hills around here, as long as I know the brakes work.

The model I bought has some confusion in the description though. The picture shows disk brakes and the description refers to v brakes. I am hoping for the former.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I don't know what that is.
For your bike, it means a 52v battery and a 22A controller. That should be enough to spin the back wheel or tow Gurney's measly crank-drive bike up any hill faster than what he can go under its own power.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost1951

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I don't know what that is, but I can possibly get it to do 33 mph down one of these steep hills around here, as long as I know the brakes work.

The model I bought has some confusion in the description though. The picture shows disk brakes and the description refers to v brakes. I am hoping for the former.
the Q&A says disc brakes

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
For our bike, it means a 52v battery and a 22A controller. That should be enough to spin the back wheel or tow Gurney's measly crank-drive bike up any hill faster than what he can go under its own power.
With the non-converted bikes and riders being equal, yours would be comparatively rubbish at hills with a normal 36V and 20A hub drive kit, utilising the same battery type - either good for hauling weight or speed, not both like my mid-drive. Your only hope is the Xiongda two speed. You could convert the rider to electric aswell, to gain a much needed advantage.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
If it continues like that we will have all esteemed pedelecers riding Argos bikes :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's rediculous, the 24v Eplus is £180 .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes I know it is but for someone really counting the pennies £180 is a bargain for a town bike.

WIth some discounts I can get the 36v model for £193.50, It might be handy for my cycling recouperation after my major surgery being a low step bike.
I could then at later date stick my 44v battey on it with a 22a KT , the speed controller would have to go . The motor is ok but I have a nice bafang CST 300rpm I beleive or the AKM 128C I could plonk in to it for real torque .
The AKM I think is 260rpm rather then the 201rpm listed when I bought it as I remember topping out at 19mph on a 26 mtb.

The battery position is a bit crap, as it is it coul dbe lower 3"s by the looks of it.

One could as d8veh said sell the ekit, hub and battery down the line and the bike won't owe one anything .

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have a host of spare parts to improve the bike, swept back bars to improve posture , integrated shifter hdb brakes. 9 speed cassette and derailleur.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
WIth some discounts I can get the 36v model for £193.50, It might be handy for my cycling recouperation after my major surgery being a low step bike.
If it isn't too personal a question, what surgery did you undergo? If you or your new upgraded bike get knackered, fold it into a bus train or automobile. Some buses insist on bagged, the larger companies in my area operating larger buses don't. The smaller ones do officially, but my bike has never been refused. I avoid the tiny bus company which pretty much states Brompton only, by folded dimensions, but they only operate two routes, neither of which I ever use, and their buses are clunky old dented bangers which look smoky inside.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My surgery is put back by three weeks so it is impending mid September .
I have a genetic hereditary bad gene so major bowel surgery to ward off carciogenic issues down the line.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have a genetic hereditary bad gene so major bowel surgery to ward off carciogenic issues down the line.
Sorry to hear about that Nealh, I know from my own experience tumours and the prospect thereof is very worrying - I had one removed from my jaw, and even now decades later, I still somewhat live under a cloud wondering if it will ever return, which it could within the next ten years or so. I trust all goes well.

If the electrics including the battery is going to be replaced anyway, why not start with a high quality steel framed bike, like the Dahon Impulse? The Impulse has a reinforcement bar over the hinge, a smiliar frame to mine but in sensible steel instead of aluminium. No disc brakes, but that frame will last for many years. I believe both these bikes use the same frame, but sadly not the ultra rare version with rear 135mm drop in hub motor dropouts.

The unobtainium framed ultra rare version:

https://www.world-wheels.co.uk/impulsep24.htm

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Hey I'm sorry to hear that.

I hope it goes well for you when it is done.