Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
It is about the price of a battery.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I ordered one, so I'll be able to let you know how good it is. It'll come on Aug 9th because I'm busy for a week. I think the earliest delivery they offered was Monday.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I ordered one, so I'll be able to let you know how good it is. It'll come on Aug 9th because I'm busy for a week. I think the earliest delivery they offered was Monday.

I wonder if the motor and battery have that Canbus stuff on them which will make it junk s soon as it has had a couple of years of use.

To be fair with a year's guarantee, there are plenty of people who need a ride to work bike who would be happy to get another one in two years time.

EDIT:

Found the specs.

Shimano 7 speed gears with a Thumb shifter gear lever.

Key features

• Men's electric bikes.
  • Alloy frame.
  • 7 Thumb shift gear(s).
  • Shimano shifters.
  • Shimano RD-TY300 rear derailleur.
  • Front alloy V brake and rear alloy V brake brakes.
  • Trekking Ralson tyres.
  • Double-wall rims.
  • Quick-release front wheel.
  • 10mm wheel nut size.
  • Zoom forks.
  • Not included.
  • Reflectors included.
  • Adjustable seat.
  • Adjustable handlebars.
  • Minimal assembly.
Size and weight

• Assembled dimensions: H108, W64, L164cm.
  • Weight fully assembled 21.5kg.
  • Height of handle bars (from ground to handle bars) 48 inches.
  • 19 inch frame size.
  • Package dimensions: H78,.
  • W23, .
  • Package weight 24.75kg.
  • Suitable for riders with 29 to 35 inch inside leg measurements.
  • Maximum rider weight 100kg.
Electric capability

• Lithium-ion battery.
  • Battery weight 2.26kg.
  • Full charge time 4 hours.
  • 18 miles per full charge.
  • Battery dimensions: H36.5, W9.5, D9cm.
  • Full electric mode included.
  • Removable battery.
  • Lockable battery.
  • Battery keys required.
  • Battery location: within down tube.
  • 3 power modes.
  • Pedal assist/pedelec power mode.
  • Motor location: rear hub motor.
  • Electric motor restriction.
  • Maximum bike speed 15.53mph.
General information

• For an easy delivery, your new bike will arrive with partially inflated tyres, make sure you top them up before riding.
  • 1 year battery guarantee.
  • Manufacturer's 1 year guarantee; .

Last edited:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
These are the low cost ebikes that you can bimble into town on and lock up outside the supermarket, pub, cafe etc knowing that some scrote ain't gonna be bothered to get his angle grinder on your lock. And if they do then no big deal. I might get one for that reason alone

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
These are the low cost ebikes that you can bimble into town on and lock up outside the supermarket, pub, cafe etc knowing that some scrote ain't gonna be bothered to get his angle grinder on your lock. And if they do then no big deal. I might get one for that reason alone
Good point, well presented.

Who remembers the Beastamatic back in 2011 - the £360 24v utility ebike that I got up to 33 mph for about £100? This Argos bike has all standard Chinese parts, just like the Cyclamatic, so would be very easy to beastify.

Hydraulic brakes £40
48v 10ah battery £180
22A KT controller £70

Total cost for Argos bEast-Plus £650, and you could probably sell the 36v battery, controller and control panel for £150.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
Actually, don't answer that, I think I know why. I should probably get one myself :D ...gotta love tinkering.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Sweet, looks exactly identical battery holder to all my existing Hailong 36v base plates and batteries - I wonder where the controller is - built into the baseplate like those yosepower ones ?

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I'll tell you on the 9th. On the 10th, I challenge Gurney to a race after I've had a few drinks in that pub.
I thought of jumping in and buying one and then I thought wait until you know whether - like so many now, it is locked in to Canbus hell and becomes a heap of scrap as soon as the battery fails and repair is uneconomical.

But if you report that it is an open system, and not a bad deal, I will kick myself, because by the time you get yours and report back, they will likely all be snapped up and sold.

:(

EDIT: 8.7 AHr battery is not that much though. I thought my 13 Ahr one was a bit on the edge of satisfactory.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
48v 10ah battery £180
48V 15Ah Samsung battery £180

22A KT controller £70
£30

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I thought of jumping in and buying one and then I thought wait until you know whether - like so many now, it is locked in to Canbus hell and becomes a heap of scrap as soon as the battery fails and repair is uneconomical.

But if you report that it is an open system, and not a bad deal, I will kick myself, because by the time you get yours and report back, they will likely all be snapped up and sold.
99% it is a cheap Chinese system.
I am tempted myself, but already have to many bikes and no space to store extra bike.

Reactions: Ghost1951

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Somebody I know needs an ebike to get to work. There's a long steep hill on the return journey.

It'll be good to do another long-term test of a cheap ebike for the forum to answer the question of whether they're a waste of money or a good proposition. Place your bets now.

Reactions: Waspy

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Somebody I know needs an ebike to get to work. There's a long steep hill on the return journey.

It'll be good to do another long-term test of a cheap ebike for the forum to answer the question of whether they're a waste of money or a good proposition. Place your bets now.
I look forward to the reports.

By the time they come though, the bike will be sold out.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I've fallen for my own hype and ordered one too. I've convinced myself that I'll use it now and again to nip into town/shops and leave it locked up and not worry too much it being stolen as I would with my other bikes/ebikes. I've got a pretty meaty Bulldog Brute u lock.

I'm gonna keep it as stock as possible (I don't want to add any value to the bike making it more appealing to be stolen) with the exception of swapping out the saddle which from reviews suggest is very uncomfortable. I might fit a cheap pannier rack to accommodate my pannier bag for a bit of shopping and a couple of cheap lights. Maybe a small saddle bag with puncture kit and mini pump/Co2 pump) . That's it.

I can predict that :

It'll take a fair bit of tweaking and adjusting to build when it arrives, no doubt brakes and gears will need serious adjusting
The brakes will be not that great
The tyres will be a bit rubbish and suffer the odd puncture, but we'll see, might be okay on roads, I might get some slime tubes on Amazon for £5 each
The motor is a ShengYi, maybe 40Nm, hopefully enough to get about town
Might have to tighten the odd spoke
The Zoom forks will be heavy and clunky
The straight flat bars could do with some rise, will dig out a higher angle stem from parts bin
The pedals look like they are made from Meccano, again parts bin raid for some spare platform ones
There are no upper frame pannier rack holes, I'll need to get a seatpost clamp with rack posts (5 quid Amazon)

I must remember to keep chanting
It's a £360 ebike
It's a £360 ebike
It's a £360 ebike

Will post a review when it arrives, however I'm away shortly so mine is not arriving for a couple of weeks