Taxi changes direction at traffic lights

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Aye it goes without saying.

I believe we are hardwired in reacting to other road users, swearing and criticising, whether it stems from observed behaviour as infants, a pathological reasoning that ones self is perfect and can cause no faults even when we do actively recognise our own folly, or the inability to actually predetermine hazards & apply logical reasoning with modified behaviour to change outcomes and make situation a non-event by our own actions.

I have not looked into advanced driving but I think, making choices well in advance of, by reducing speed & increasing observations of others would be along the lines of techniques taught.
There's a distinction between chosen I.e. voluntary shouting and swearing, and involuntary, uncontrollable reaction to unexpectedly severe stress. I have quite a few colourful outbursts, well outside my normal vocabulary, on my GoPro soundtracks!

It's those situations where, having done everything possible to make myself safe, and it being pretty obvious to a competent driver what they need to do - usually wait - that trigger my reaction. And these are not situations where I am being treated safely but I don't recognise it. No, life threatening bad behaviour which produces some incredible images at times, and in the event of a collision will be well beyond reasonable doubt.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Having had a good look at recordings of vehicle number plates, captured while cycling on the road in daylight... as I suspected, the GoPro Hero 7 Black action camera is designed to produce smooth and visually appealing video footage on it's one automatic mode, prioritising low ISO for less noisy imagery, which isn't what I need - I want clear number plate recordings, and don't give a damn about noise, if the noise doesn't obscure number plates... which it doesn't at night, even at ISO 1600. It had no difficulty in recording number plates when the traffic is slow moving and nearby, for the purposes of sueing drivers for damages post-collision...

(snapshots from 1080p/60fps video playback using VLC media player)

...but when plates are moving fast, near and at the edge of the frame, the shutter speed that the camera automatically selects is too slow:

...but gets clearer as the plate moves across the sensor slower, a bit later (wide-angle lens distortion is partly to blame):

Blurry lorry plate:

...clearer, can be englarged:

I see a lot of what I believe to be intentionally dirty number plates, kept dirty to thwart speed cameras... which could also make it harder for me to sue them for damages, if they damaged me - can I legally add a pressure washer to my bike handlebars?

This Range Rover driver can afford a car wash, surely?

I will therefore try locking the shutter speed, and leave the camera to automatically select ISO for daytime light levels: 1/480th of a second, which is fast enough to avoid blurry plate recordings at night - it records clear plates at night, so it'll certainly be able to do the same with brighter light. If the camera is unable to select a suitable ISO automatically, when given a range between max and min ISO values, I'll manually lock that too. Although it won't look as visually disturbing as the night video footage, it'll be useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
involuntary, uncontrollable reaction to unexpectedly severe stress
Indeed there will always be situations no one can for see or prep for, I witnessed a police chase, as luck would be my lights where on red his just changing, blink & miss the cop car following, all the while my first reaction was moron, assuming a red light jumper, second was that will not end well, god for bid I was early to the shops I could of been on the other side of the lights. I hear a siren I as a rule of thumb look for the paramedic or ambulance, not police.

driver can afford a car wash, surely?
One should really clean the plate before driving, however the roads are dirty in parts, clean it before then go through a puddle...

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Blurry lorry plate:
Do you ride with intense light from your bike during the day?

Is it, perhaps reflecting back? I ride and film during the summer so maybe all my footage is clear as day, perhaps the head cam as mentioned before.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Do you ride with intense light from your bike during the day?
I have fewer invisibility problems, as seen in that last video (near the end) where I could easily have not been noticed by the van at the intersection, and where I should have stopped and waited. I have one 1800LM light flashing, the other 1800LM steady (sometimes both flashing, if I'm feeling flashier that day), plus a standard 6V Bafang headlight pointed backwards from the handlebar at my hi-viz blouson at all times, plus the bright red rear 1800LM flasher, day and night.

I ride and film during the summer so maybe all my footage is clear as day, perhaps the head cam as mentioned before.
On automatic, the camera selects higher shutter speed in bright light - some people use Neutral Density filters (which reduce light without changing it's colour) in bright sunlight to force the camera to select lower shutter speeds, producing video with the level of motion blur we're used to seeing on TV programmes and movies. They're also used to prevent blown out highlights. On many cameras, (regardless of price) auto modes aren't good - when there is available time, you're nearly always better off using manual... except sometimes in sports, nature (animals, not landscapes [unless you want something very arty: turning rivers, crowds/people, seas and lakes to smoke etc. Or just weird, like this pic snapped on manual from a train window using my phone last week between strikes: shutter was 5 seconds, @ISO 10 - clearly, too much motion blur:

]), and event photography. Leaving some settings on auto while manually setting others, often works well too, and it's great the the GoPro Hero 7 Black has that option.

I'll set a high shutter speed to remove motion blur to compare. Just like when I was shooting at night with this camera - on automatic, it selects ISOs with lower noise, and calculates shutter speed to suit. I'll set it to select ISO to suit a specified shutter speed. It'd be a pain setting ISO each time for the light levels as well as shutter speed, but needs must.

Last edited:
  • Informative

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
If the weather warms up I will test a few night records on the GP4 I had a little play with the advanced settings.

Main reason for posting; I am sad I have no one to tell about new PC build, well no one who is interested lmao & the other half has got fed up with hearing me gloat... So here goes, built over the weekend & posted first time thank goodness; Ryzen 7 5700x (8 cores), MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk, 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 3200MT (XMP), 1TB Gen 4 M.2 [Adata Legend 800], Be Quiet FX Argb CPU cooler then transplanted from old the RX5600 XT, SSD, HDD, Case[4000D], CX550f RGB[Corsair] & Argb Gamemax fans. It's lit up like a Xmas tree. 3Dmark GPU/CPU stress max CPU temps 73 Degs. Should be sweet to edit vids on the M.2. I went Windows 11 but made it look like Windows 10 within a day! EDIT I am skint now

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If the weather warms up I will test a few night records on the GP4
The GoPro 4 likely has a better sensor than my old, and probably soon to be exchanged for something at Cex Crosstour Action 4k, but neither camera allow shutter speed control - Crosstour has copied functionality of GoPros of the time. This is the best the Crosstour could do - it selected the highest ISO available, but automatically used a slow shutter, which is great for colours but terrible if you want non-blurry plates. And this car wasn't even moving all that fast (frame grab from a 1080p 60fpsvideo):

It's impossible to compare like-for-like close passing car plates anymore, because I've had zero close passes day or night, since I've started using my new GurneySiderating™ Illumimaker™. They all stay the hell away from me. 1/384s 1080p@24fps ISO1600 seems to work very well for snapping non-blurry numberplates (GoPro 7 Hero Black):

...which can be of course brightened:

Main reason for posting; I am sad I have no one to tell about new PC build, well no one who is interested lmao & the other half has got fed up with hearing me gloat... So here goes, built over the weekend & posted first time thank goodness; Ryzen 7 5700x (8 cores), MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk, 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 3200MT (XMP), 1TB Gen 4 M.2 [Adata Legend 800], Be Quiet FX Argb CPU cooler then transplanted from old the RX5600 XT, SSD, HDD, Case[4000D], CX550f RGB[Corsair] & Argb Gamemax fans. It's lit up like a Xmas tree. 3Dmark GPU/CPU stress max CPU temps 73 Degs. Should be sweet to edit vids on the M.2. I went Windows 11 but made it look like Windows 10 within a day! EDIT I am skint now
Good job! It's great when a plan comes together. M.2s have come down in price a lot - bargain per GB compared to the 240gb mSATA I bought for the hellish upgrade of my tiny 8" Sony VAIO P laptop's 80gb 1.8" 4200rpm hard drive a couple of months ago. £2 Poundland (pound plural. It shouldn't be allowed.) magnifying glasses with integral AAA powered LED lights, are a good buy. Wish I'd bought them before that upgrade.

Last edited:
  • :D

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
(GoPro 7 Hero Black)
I looked at one of them not a bad price cam CEX when I last looked -

Sony VAIO P
My mate had one of them, darn awful little thing if memory serves me
Yes, that M.2 gen 4 of mine was on offer at £40[normal £52] with my 2 SSD I was not going to bother, but gen 4 slot (x2) on the Mobo[500mb/s on large files from SSD to m.2], one gen 4 x4 one gen 3 x4, it needed at least one new drive & MS are (still) working direct storage, might work with my gen 4 GPU in the future for games. The Gen 3 slot I will keep my eyes peeled for a sub £25 or 2TB deal and get rid of my legacy HDD(s)

GurneySiderating™ Illumimaker™
I thought that pic was a "how to make" vid, it would make a great thumbnail pic I am so glad it is working for you. Tbf I think most drivers that pass extra close 95% do not do it on purpose they just don't pay attention/see any bikes(although very bad driving I know), most will move out to a safe distance after they have past me, akin to a delayed reaction. With your device they will see it before when they are still behind you and not at the side of you when it's too late.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My mate had one of them, darn awful little thing if memory serves me
The Sony VAIO P's puny little Atom CPU was merely ok on XP, but also slow because of the very slow old HD. Boy did things get properly glacial on Vista and newer! Now XP Pro SP3 boots within 13 seconds, Windows 7 Professional flies, and MX Linux (it's a triple boot laptop now) runs well (this was a pleasant surprise, tried loads of Linuxii [Atom limits to 32 bit too, which is a pain]). I've used mine on the road for years, and suddenly it's a wonderfully responsive device I can do practically anything work related with while out and about. It even contains a SIM. Far superior to tablets and phones. Ethernet and VGA via small port replicator too. No fans - totally silent. High resolution but tiny 8"1600 X 768 IPS screen. A high capacity 5 hour (when working frantically) battery. Two USB ports expand storage using small in size but large in capacity thumb drives, as do it's integral SD card and Sony memory card readers. And it fits into my jacket pockets, else I'd be using a GPD Pocket 2. Someday I hope someone will again make truly pocketable, and more powerful Windows laptops, but until then...

I thought that pic was a "how to make" vid
There's an entire thread about the journey to it's manifestation - I recommend skipping to the end where I focus more on sales (alternative products are available from @WheezyRider and @trevor brooker . @matthewslack may have some available in his solar system and plumbing shop )

it would make a great thumbnail pic
Many video streaming sites won't allow custom thumbnails without a phone number (NO!), and Vimeo won't without signing up to ther stupidly priced Vimeo Pro. Their free offering is very limited in terms of total number of videos, and their measly upload quota per month, but replacing videos is unlimited... trouble is, it keeps the autogenerated thumbnail from the originally uploaded video.

Ryzen 7 5700x (8 cores), MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk, 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 3200MT (XMP), 1TB Gen 4 M.2 [Adata Legend 800], Be Quiet FX Argb CPU cooler then transplanted from old the RX5600 XT, SSD, HDD, Case[4000D], CX550f RGB[Corsair] & Argb Gamemax fans.
You should be able to edit large high-res videos well with that. I do hope you'll link a few.

Last edited:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
little Atom CPU
Aye PC's are only as strong as the weakest part, assuming the 1.8" HDD was ZIF?? I am very surprised it had an mSATA connector onboard or did you zif to msata? Bet it's snappy as hell now & going 240gb from 80gb is always nice. For the mSATA did you get NAND?

Did you ever see the HDD size they originally went for the early digital cameras and MP3 players before SD cards were a thing, very interesting how small they got them LINUS on YT did a very interesting bit on them recently.

A bit cheaper here, but no 2 year guarantee
I think I looked at white, I didn't see the need for 4k, 40 bucks cheaper.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Never looked into Vimeo

You should be able to edit large high-res videos well with that. I do hope you'll link a few.
Yes HR should be cool, however I am still limited, of all things by my Microsoft wireless "US" keyboard, it's an all-in-one with basic functions, track pad. If I really, ergonomically & in comfort, want to video edit on the new system I will have to plumb for a £100+ fancy arse keyboard like "Cherry" if they do a UK, although mine works so I find things hard to pony up for, if it still works well. I may have to accidently drop it...

https://cpc.farnell.com/cherry/g84-4400lubgb-0/g84-4400-usb-trackball-keyboard/dp/CS31050?mckv=s_dc|pcrid|426684131165|kword||match||plid||slid||product|CS31050|pgrid|100371159078|ptaid|pla-1931273575567|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING-9262013734-100371159078-CS31050&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!426684131165!!!network}!1931273575567!&gclid=CjwKCAjwrJ-hBhB7EiwAuyBVXUGZOU4HSzLEXCv_V8gCuFLXCIaSzPG-8-2lT1mzA7HVl8VH11pr8BoCOJMQAvD_BwE

Sweeeeeet. You know I may have convinced myself; Anyone want to buy a wireless keyboard for a tenner? ~EDIT I just love a good trackball. EDIT it's corded:mad:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Aye PC's are only as strong as the weakest part, assuming the 1.8" HDD was ZIF?? I am very surprised it had an mSATA connector onboard or did you zif to msata? Bet it's snappy as hell now & going 240gb from 80gb is always nice. For the mSATA did you get NAND?
The Samung Evo 870 I wanted was too large, there was very little available space in the casing for ZIF>mSATA converter, plus heat-resistant sponge tape to hold it secure. I wrote a couple of long boring posts about it all somewhere, or it might have been a similarly boring and long email to a long suffering friend.

I threw away a lot of Cherries, IBMs and Compaqs in 2004, regretted that and everything else I threw away at the same time, like every time I've ever thrown batches of computer gear away.

I just love a good trackball.
The Logitech Trackman Marble lasts many years, unlike their recent trackballs... but no scrollwheel. The M570 is great, but their switches die in about a year and a half.

I think I looked at white, I didn't see the need for 4k, 40 bucks cheaper.
It's built-in battery will be trashed by now. The 7 Black's are removable, and originals still available.

• Informative

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Yer I was looking after mentioning trackball, I think with the lack of "wireless" keyboard with trackball, a stand-a-lone trackball sounds perfect or I could buy the wired cherry and just use my wireless for TV, games etc. I got me a new Xbox XS controller with Bluetooth 5, its awesome so beats the antique Xbox 360 with hacked dongle.

It's built-in battery will be trashed by now.
I did not spot that although if the charge ports in good condition I would 18650 it.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The M570 is fantastic, very low power too - the AA battery lasts months. Buttons are programmable via Logitech's software. Switches break however... but I've seen Youtubers solder better ones on, which I might do to the two dead M570s I have somewhere (yet another little project), if I haven't lost their very small USB bluetooth receivers.

It's hard to tell from the manual whether the GoPro 7 White's shutter speed is user-controllable.

Protune (manual mode, for some settings) is mentioned in the manual:

To maximize battery life, follow these guidelines when possible:
• Turn off Wireless Connections
• Capture video at lower frame rates and resolutions

• Turn off Protune

...but:

"Protune is not available on the GoPro Hero 7 White, so there is no way to change settings like ISO, shutter speed, and many other options available on the more advanced GoPro cameras "

It'll be useless at night. And daytime number plate capture will also be blurry on automatic, without any way to make manual adjustments using Protune.

FOV appears narrower, video is of lower quality, stabilisation not nearly as good:

I'd choose the GoPro Hero 7 Black.

Last edited:
  • Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Never looked into Vimeo
It retains more of the quality there was before upload and conversion, than Youtube. Here's some night Hypersmooth from the GPH7B @1080P, 24fps, 1/384s, brightened a bit in post. 1080p playback can be selected via the cog ion:

I'm not impressed by whatever "Hydrophobic" coating the lens cover has, because raindrops don't seem particularly phobic of it.

At 1/384s shutter speed, street lamps they've replaced with LEDs are obvious, they flash (1m59s). Many traffic light bulbs now flash too, but thankfully, faster than the human eye. Anyone who can see LEDs flashing without the aid of a high shutter speed camera, should take the Voight Kampff test:

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
what you need is some light relaxing music ;)

• :D

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
what you need is some light relaxing music ;)
To avoid copyright issues, I only use noises I've hastily made for my own videos, and only use unfinished shorts I hastily made many years ago publically on video streaming websites. ISO 3200, 1/480s shutter, 1080P/60, Hypersmooth off, GuerneySiderating™ Lumimaker™ on... check out how much space I'm given by the fast car at 27s:

Because of the Guerney™² Siderating™² Lumimaker™² , that car passes by too far away to be a threat to my safety, so there's no point in recording it's number plate clearly, unless the driver hit and ran after colliding with the car travelling in the opposite direction, and if I crashed into the wreckage. Here's a magnification at ISO 3200 of that car's plate:

At that distance ISO 3200 is too grainy, which is why I've since started using ISO 1600, with the fastest shutter speed that my GPH7B allows at 1080p/24fps.

Last edited:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
which I might do to the two dead M570s I have somewhere (yet another little project), if I haven't lost their very small USB bluetooth receivers.
If you find the USB and fix the switches, I wouldn't say no to parting with a few quid, to cover labour, parts and future project tax, if they work mind, my soldering skills aren't up to scratch enough to do anything complex so broken would be no good.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If you find the USB and fix the switches, I wouldn't say no to parting with a few quid, to cover labour, parts and future project tax, if they work mind, my soldering skills aren't up to scratch enough to do anything complex so broken would be no good.
The Trackman Marble I replaced them with has lasted eight years so far, we're going back a bit, so finding the darn things and their dongles might be a mission past it's sell by date. I've become quite good at soldering ebike battery cables, but a small and fiddly board level soldering disaster could render at least one M570 operable. I suspect a successful seeming repair would turn out to be short lived, if done by me.

The M570s are very likely stored somewhere because although I use a KVM for four main computers sharing one mouse, keyboard and monitor, my hope years ago was to someday resurrect their awesomeness, as they'd be brilliant mice for the others, which have been reduced to being operated by much less excellent but longer lived wired and wireless mice (including The Penguin wireless joystick mouse, and it's awful buggy software).

There are similar mice available at less cost from other manufacturers, but what really makes the M570 shine is Logitech's software. I mostly use my remaining fully functional M570 on the Sony VAIO P; it floats between laptops and the other PCs. Hand(s) down the best trackball mouse you can buy IMHO.

Last edited: