Prices of the electricity we use to charge

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I did read the article, Miliband did not say anything about shutting down gas fired power stations. Gas has been the cheapest source of power for a long time and should continue to be so for another generation (in the US, an oil barrel equivalent in gas costs only $12) until we have enough battery capacity to even out dips in renewables.
It is not about the article. Miliband has often said he will close down all fossil fuel use.

You must know that.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
from 2028 all new builds and rented homes will have to have electric heat pumps or cant be rented or sold.

if your house does not get a c or above it cant be rented or sold.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It is not about the article. Miliband has often said he will close down all fossil fuel use.

You must know that.
Only when renewables can take over. We can't have the lights to go out. Rachel Glaving made out as if Miliband is going to close power stations. The main enemy of her nuclear reactors is gas, not renewables. Nuclear is so expensive that can only be used as third line, after gas.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the council forced the ppl for the 2 houses up the road to fit heat pumps or would not get planning permission.

buy 2028 they want rid of all gas boilers and cookers they want it all electric.
20241003_164644[1].jpg

thats how much the shower uses.

so 2.20 per hour. 17.60 per 8 hrs 123 a week 492 a month.

Last edited:

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
And this is all before we even think about banning gas boilers and forcing useless heat pumps on the population. These will increase the power demand hugely and they don't work in cold weather. I know people who have them because most people in mid Northumberland have to heat with oil and some have tried to move onto heat pumps to get ahead of the compulsion. They are in all cases but one that I know of, VERY disappointed. The one who is content, spent about forty thousand having his entire house lined with insulation about five inches thick and has ten solar panels on his roof. The cost of all of this was massive. I was there the other day and it wasn't that warm, even in September.
Beg to differ here, heatpumps work fine in cold weather, lots of heatpumps in Scandinavia and here in the Alps where temperatures are often well below freezing. The biggest problem for heatpumps in UK is humidity leading to icing of the condenser, when it gets actually cold the air doesn't have enough moisture in it to freeze.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Beg to differ here, heatpumps work fine in cold weather, lots of heatpumps in Scandinavia and here in the Alps where temperatures are often well below freezing. The biggest problem for heatpumps in UK is humidity leading to icing of the condenser, when it gets actually cold the air doesn't have enough moisture in it to freeze.
I don't live in the Alps, or in Scandinavia and we have different circumstances. We are discussing a BRITISH energy minister and his policy for The UK and a plan to compel people to get rid of their gas heating systems with so far inadequate replacement technology. Whether or not heat pumps work well in Scandinavia is a complete irrelevance to that discussion.

Reactions: robert44

SHA222

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 13, 2022
from 2028 all new builds and rented homes will have to have electric heat pumps or cant be rented or sold.

if your house does not get a c or above it cant be rented or sold.
This is not correct.
Landlords will need EPC grade C by 2030 for existing properties according to the legislation going through the parliament now. No such restrictions for existing privately owned homes. My personal opinion is this is not achievable.
Majority of UK properties are old and will not achieve grade C without a lot of work. This will take decades to achieve given the shortages of experienced installers for external cladding or internal insulation for solid walled properties.
New build properties already achieve grades A, B or C.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
I don't live in the Alps, or in Scandinavia and we have different circumstances. We are discussing a BRITISH energy minister and his policy for The UK and a plan to compel people to get rid of their gas heating systems with so far inadequate replacement technology. Whether or not heat pumps work well in Scandinavia is a complete irrelevance to that discussion.
I think you might find that correctly specified and set up heatpumps are completely viable in UK. The problem is more that many installers (not helped by the poor requirements of surveys required for government grants) don't have a clue how to set systems up correctly. To set a system up properly requires return visits to analyse data from the first heating season which are not carried out.
A second problem is end users try to use them like they use gas boilers which necessitates higher flow temperatures that kill efficiencies.
A third problem is UK housing standards belong in the third world not in a modern European economy, if even the number of uncontrolled air changes per hour was addressed that would make a huge difference before you even start on insulation. I remember seeing a house built here 30+ years ago and there was far more insulation installed than is installed in UK however now.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
This is not correct.
Landlords will need EPC grade C by 2030 for existing properties according to the legislation going through the parliament now. No such restrictions for existing privately owned homes. My personal opinion is this is not achievable.
Majority of UK properties are old and will not achieve grade C without a lot of work. This will take decades to achieve given the shortages of experienced installers for external cladding or internal insulation for solid walled properties.
New build properties already achieve grades A, B or C.
All this will do is add to the stampede of small landlords who are rushing to sell off their rental properties as fast as they can. Most who don't own the properties outright are already making a loss. The shortage of rental property is increasing at a very fast rate and has been ever since stupid government interference and controls made it a money losing headache to rent housing to someone else. The unintended but absolutely obvious result will be a massive problem of people who can not buy having nowhere at all to live in the near future.

As in most areas of our national life, the more politicians meddle the worse they make everything. When you look at the CV of almost all of them and see that the vast majority have never worked outside the public sector or the Westminster Bubble - this is no surprise at all. I would not give twopence for most of them - the vast majority in fact are utterly useless, but nontheless, think they can run everything much better than everyone else.

• Agree
Reactions: SHA222 and flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my house is a 1950s prefab prc construction and it has a c rating the guy over the road in the same house that has also bricked it up has a lower epc score than mine it is bs cert that is useless.

and i paid for it in the hope to get a worse score and get it cheaper well that backfired lol :rolleyes:

and when they did the epc they did not care if the inverter was working or not and did not even look at it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20241003_192358[1].jpg

that is the bean counter that is connected to the solar panels the feed in tariff is half of that on the display they get from the government.

if i turn that switch to off it will cut the power going to the fuse box and thus save us nothing on the electric but they will still get the feed in Tarif.

if i take out the sim card in that thing they will be out in no time, faulty 10 year old inverters that dont work and are a fire risk are just fine tho.

or maybe that was the plan in the first place :p

SHA222

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 13, 2022
my house is a 1950s prefab prc construction and it has a c rating the guy over the road in the same house that has also bricked it up has a lower epc score than mine it is bs cert that is useless.

and i paid for it in the hope to get a worse score and get it cheaper well that backfired lol :rolleyes:

and when they did the epc they did not care if the inverter was working or not and did not even look at it.
Yes indeed. The EPC certificates are based on assumed data on the fabric of the building. They are not based on actual intrusive checks on the actual presence of insulation in the property or the actual energy performance of the building. The householders statements are usually ignored by the assessors.
Yet here we are with our parliament passing laws to punish the landlords based on assumed data. The courts will impose fines on decent landlords on assumed evidence. How great is that?
All these measures will result in no benefit to the Tenants or Landlords. Landlords will not see any benefits for their expenditure unless rents are increased in line. Tenants will see a small benefit in energy bills and a large rise in rents.
In the meanwhile any environmental benefits delivered will be negated by the exploding bombs discharging tons of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere in Ukraine and the Middle East.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well from what i have found about these houses built like mine is they all get knocked down as the last quote i got to fix it was 80k and there are 22 of them where i am.

most have massive back gardens so it makes no sense to brick them up and how they will put heat pumps in these houses will be pointless, they have concreate cancer.

the council are off there fkn heads they have not got a clue every guy that gets a electric work van has to freeze there balls off because if they use the heater they cant get to all the jobs. :rolleyes:

even the main boss contractor that put our new bathroom in said they can only fit electric showers and would rather fit mixer units run of the boiler but its the council that said no!

well they do paint the bombs green for a reason, there renewable :p

Reactions: Woosh

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Let's go straight to EVs. The issue is clean air, nobody wants to live next to a waste processing centre that our cities have become.
I have told you many many times - our city air has NEVER been cleaner since about 1750 and probably longer than that.

I have shown you the evidence from government websites. Do I need to show it again? How many times?

HOW MANY TIMES do I need to post this - and yet you STILL put this cr @ p all over the place.

Sources:

Then there is this real time air pollution interactive map which I have posted at least three times on this thread:

This one is an image, the clickable interactive one is available at the links below.

Anything green shown on the map is well within the health limits. This situation shown here above pertains to right now in the last hour - 22.13 on 3rd Oct 2024.

Source (and you can click any site and drill into it for actual measurements) here:

What you posted above is a damned lie and you bloody well know it because i have given you this government data over and over again.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
This story is turning into something big. The police say that they've seized 4,000 terabytes of data in relation to the case. That would be the devices from an army of people! What's the story then? Are they lying and just using it as an excuse to delay the trial, or is there really an army involved in the plot?

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
In contrast to what Woosh keeps saying, in the UK, the air quaity is usually vastly superior to that in Europe.

Much of the problem is down to the reliance of some European countries on burning huge amounts of coal. What is more - most air pollution is not caused by cars but by power generation and industrial processes. In the UK ports like Southampton and others are badly affected by the pollution from ships which produce lots of particulates and sulphur even when tied up in port.

This image is snatched from here and is a live one at the posting time:

Last edited: