Prices of the electricity we use to charge

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
People live longer and have fewer children so the ratio is bound to rise for the foreseeable future.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Oh dear, so the Ulez charges were to cut down emissions, while all the conspiracy theorists said it was to cut down driving or just a money grab. What's the story now then? I can imagine that we're going to see a lot more dinosaurs on the rampage in London now:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oh dear, so the Ulez charges were to cut down emissions, while all the conspiracy theorists said it was to cut down driving or just a money grab.
E-cars and ULEZ are both to cut down driving, as I've been posting for years now. It's all about making driving much more expensive and less attractive.

And yes, of course ULEZ is also a money grab, just as the Congestion charge was also for the same purposes. Less private car driving for lower exhaust emissions while getting more money for Buses with much lower fares. As a Londoner I've always known those facts, they've never been hidden from us and like many car drivers in London I welcome them for improving my life as well as that for others.

And e-cars were always going to suffer the same charges as i.c. cars eventually, the money has to come from somewhere. That's why two years ago we e-car owners were told VED would also apply to us for 2025.

Part of what lies behind all this is the fact that the authorities worldwide have realised that permitting widespread car ownership and use in the first instance was a massive mistake. It's been hugely costly in road building, it's enabled a huge increase in crime and greatly increased health costs in dealing with accident outcomes and respiratory problems.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
What we need to fix is to wean voters off the idea that they can have their cake and eating it.
In a decade, machines are going to be capable of super intelligence. How are we going to find well paid jobs for everyone of us?
I remember once on an American site, reading a line or two on this subject. The guy said:

'Once people get the idea that they can vote themselves free money, it is very hard to get them to stop.'

Of course, the 'free money' is money taken under duress from other people who someone decides don't deserve what they have.

Who gets to decide that? What if it is you they are coming for?

The Conservatives deserve what they have coming, but i have no faith in the people likely to win tonight. Not a bit of it.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
'Once people get the idea that they can vote themselves free money, it is very hard to get them to stop.'
Tht phrase could be understood from the point of view somebody receives assistance and from somebody who has to pay the higher (40%) or additional (45%) tax rate. So that's fair comment.

it's a pretty corrupt system but it's the best so far.

I watched a YT video about American politics the other day. The guy on there explained that Trump did 14 years of the reality show The Apprentice. Allegedly, it's the producing team which decides in each episode who is going to win to encourage more viewers. Their team of writers then write the script. Trump only has to learn his lines, play the incredibly successful entrepreneur and deliver the task's winners. Project 2025, also allegedly, was produced by a group of oligarchs that controls the GOP and funds Trump's cmpaign. They decide who is going to be Trump's VP. Trump will play the same role as he did in The Apprentice. That may explain why he says non-sensical things in public.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Tht phrase could be understood from the point of view somebody receives assistance and from somebody who has to pay the higher (40%) or additional (45%) tax rate. So that's fair comment.

it's a pretty corrupt system but it's the best so far.
The whole idea, much favoured by some, of what they call, 'redistribution of income', as if it was a good thing, is plain and simple robbery with menaces. Certain people, likely to be elected today, are very much in favour. They are after more of your money, if you have any, your little cottage you saved for all your life out of already highly taxed income, and also, they demand extra money if you drive your car on the roads you already paid for, EVEN if you did as they said and paid through the nose for an electric one.

Why so many of us tolerate this, eludes me. I sometimes remember the faces of the one time, god-like dictator of Romania, and his witch of a wife, when suddenly, the once sheeplike populace began booing him as he made a speech. You could see it dawning on them that they were finished. Hours later the pair were both shot up against a wall. Ghadaffi had the same. Dragged out of a drainage pipe, beaten, and shot.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The whole idea, much favoured by some, of what they call, 'redistribution of income', as if it was a good thing, is plain and simple robbery with menaces. Certain people, likely to be elected today, are very much in favour. They are after more of your money, if you have any, your little cottage you saved for all your life out of already highly taxed income, and also, they demand extra money if you drive your car on the roads you already paid for, EVEN if you did as they said and paid through the nose for an electric one.

Why so many of us tolerate this, eludes me. I sometimes remember the faces of the one time, god-like dictator of Romania, and his witch of a wife, when suddenly, the once sheeplike populace began booing him as he made a speech. You could see it dawning on them that they were finished. Hours later the pair were both shot up against a wall. Ghadaffi had the same. Dragged out of a drainage pipe, beaten, and shot.
redistribution of income is a normal policy.
We can't leave a small percentage of us live in destitution.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
redistribution of income is a normal policy.
We can't leave a small percentage of us to live in destitution.
It might be tolerable, if it really was a smaĺl percentage who were having a hand up, but it isn't. The numbers are vast, and so is the money. Even the costs of supporting irregular, uninvited arrivals is huge. £3.6 billion in 2020 and rising at a rate that suggests £11 billion in two years time. This is a drop in the ocean by comparison to working age benefits.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The numbers are vast indeed. Wait for the care budget for the aged. Apparently, care homes charge about £6000 per person per month. Then there is the budget for prisons.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
The numbers are vast indeed. Wait for the care budget for the aged. Apparently, care homes charge about £6000 per person per month. Then there is the budget for prisons.
I know someone a bit older than me whose wife is in a care home with dementia. It is costing him £1650 a week, £6,600 a month, or £79,200 a year. He says he will be totally bust in the next few months when she comes to the two year mark and all that will be left of his life savings will be the house he lives in.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
" ‘Build a wall’ in the English Channel to deal with migrants, says Conservative darling

Uber-Tory Jacob Rees-Mogg takes page from Donald Trump’s playbook."

"Former Brexit minister Jacob Rees-Mogg loses North East Somerset seat to Labour"

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
“To some extent people have fallen out of love with us and we must ask why,” Ian Blackford, the SNP’s former Westminster leader, told the BBC.

Look in the mirror you bloated toad. (That's the more polite version of my answer)

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Just read this disturbing comment below an article in the independent about the Conservative losses. Speaking about 'Conservatives', the writer said:

They will get less and less votes as their voter base - the well off old xenophobic racist baby boomers with nothing to lose - slowly vanishes, releasing the wealth they have greedily amassed for the younger generations to finally make some good use of.
I don't think it would be tolerated to speak about any racial, religious or other group like that, but this is a common theme among the hard left young.

No sense that they have any personal responsibility to earn their living and build up some personal assets like we did.

I started out with nothing. I can remember going to school with holes in my shoes. I knew I HAD to work, save and be careful what I spent. Anything and everything I got and have now, I got myself. I guess a lot of you are exactly the same, but these whippersnappers hate anyone who is better off than them and they desire nothing more than to prey on them and their assets like a pack of jackals.

When I was 20, all around me it was obvious that the better off people were older. The reason was clear; they had spent forty or fifty years working, saving and building up their assets. I knew that with a bit of patience and hard work and thrift, I could do the same as them.

Why isn't that clear to the young today who think like the writer above.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"Liz Truss Caps List of High-Profile Conservative Seat Losses"

"Grant Shapps reminds Welwyn Hatfield of his many Cabinet posts as he loses his seat

The crowd laughs as he makes his speech but it was not clear if they were laughing with him or at him"

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
No sense that they have any personal responsibility to earn their living and build up some personal assets like we did.
we had a much easier time to buy a house than they do now. My first house was a 3-bed, I paid less than £20k for it. My children have to pay £1M for something of the same size. So there is some good reasons to want the oldies to pass on their assets sooner rather than later.