Prices of the electricity we use to charge

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A very telling result, Jeremy Corbyn as an independent winning by almost 8000 votes from the official Labour candidate, during a huge Labour landslide.

Equally telling was Keir Starmer's seat result in London, where he suffered a reduced majority while his party overwhelmingly dominated with huge majorities elsewhere.

Both point to Labour's landslide being primarily an angry anti tory vote rather than a vote for Starmer or his mundane, insipid, policy absent Labour.

A lesson from history due perhaps?

Labour won by a similarly huge margin in 1945, but was soon succeeded by successive Tory wins.

Later Blair with New Labour twice won by equally spectacular margins, but was succeeded by the present 14 years of Tory rule.

The country could so easily see the Tories bounce back into lasting power in five years time when Starmer's Labour fails to deliver as it is doomed to.

Not a good prospect, though fortunately not affecting me since this is virtually certain to be the last GE that I'll ever see.

Last edited:

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"‘Keir Starmer take note’: UK’s green transition must start now, say experts

Labour’s victory, alongside strong Green performance, gives next PM mandate to act boldly on net zero, say campaigners"

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
we had a much easier time to buy a house than they do now. My first house was a 3-bed, I paid less than £20k for it. My children have to pay £1M for something of the same size. So there is some good reasons to want the oldies to pass on their assets sooner rather than later.
" So there is some good reasons to want the oldies to pass on their assets sooner rather than later."

Really?

You support that kind of hyena economics?

I have MANY times explained EXACTLY why we have such an overheated housing market and rental market. It IS NOT because old people live a few years longer. It is because our population numbers have been bloated through mass migration. No where near enough houses have been built in the last twenty five years.

No one has EVER been able to challenge my assertion as to why the prices have gone to where they are. I learned about supply and demand and the effect on price in my first economics lessons when I was in year 11 in 1967.

If you really support that remark Woosh, why not advocate for a final solution and set up our own version of Dachau and Treblinka death camps. We could gas people when they reach 80 and give their property to the 'more deserving young' who spent years studying boozing and humanities degrees and have no money now, because they are unfit for employment at any remunerative level.

None of my three comprehensive school educated sons aged between 36 and 44 earns less than £120k, and one of them earns nearly twice that and lives in a £1.5 million pound house in Clapham. As I taught them long ago a phrase that someone instilled in me when I was a shabbily dressed boy, 'Where there's a will, there's a way.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
"Sunak apologises to country and fires starting pistol on leadership race before going to Buckingham Palace for final audience with king"

A decent, hardworking and intelligent man. He did his best with the shambles he was left by the previous two incumbents of his office.

He hands over to another decent man, whom I wish every success in what he says he is going to do. I heard Starmer's speech just now, and if he can do what he says, none of us will have cause to complain.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
BBC 1 commentator:

"Keir Starmer enters in his prime ministerial Jaguar"

Snag being that it was very blatantly and obviously a German Audi. :(

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
" So there is some good reasons to want the oldies to pass on their assets sooner rather than later."

Really?

You support that kind of hyena economics?

I have MANY times explained EXACTLY why we have such an overheated housing market and rental market. It IS NOT because old people live a few years longer. It is because our population numbers have been bloated through mass migration. No where near enough houses have been built in the last twenty five years.

No one has EVER been able to challenge my assertion as to why the prices have gone to where they are. I learned about supply and demand and the effect on price in my first economics lessons when I was in year 11 in 1967.

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
None of my three comprehensive school educated sons aged between 36 and 44 earns less than £120k, and one of them earns nearly twice that and lives in a £1.5 million pound house in Clapham. As I taught them long ago a phrase that someone instilled in me when I was a shabbily dressed boy, 'Where there's a will, there's a way.
the reality is for every success story, dozens if not hundreds of Brits experience much worse.
Redistribution of income is therefore necessary to even out the luck of birth and in life.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
How did we get the results we are seeing?

Just looking through the proportion of votes cast, it seems pretty clear that REFORM sucked up a lot of disgusted Tory voters who were tired of the inept failure to do what the government promised.

Here are the percentages:

Labour 33.7%
Conservative 23.7%
Reform 14.3%
Lib Dem 12.2%

If you add up the right of centre vote percentages (Con + Reform) the right of centre vote exceeded Labour's total significantly at 38% vs 33.7%.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
the reality is for every success story, dozens if not hundreds of Brits experience much worse.
Redistribution of income is therefore necessary to even out the luck of birth.
Then they need to look to themselves rather than gnawing, hyena-like at the corpses of older people who spent their lives earning and paying taxes and usually, lived frugally and cautiously to provide for themselves in old age.

The BIG problem since Blair stuffed the universities with young people without paying attention to what and how they would be taught and whether there would be any demand for what they were learning, is that we have a large cadre of feeble, entitled, unrealistic, humanities and arts graduates, who are frankly fit for no employment at all. These cry-baby, wet behind the ears wretches, would have disgusted the likes of my parents and grandparents.

My lads did not have the luck of birth - they had hard working, sensible attitudes and like anybody who is awake, they knew that STEM subjects were the way to go. My youngest worked two days a week while he was doing his Masters in Mech Eng, running the IT infrastructure of a tele sales business. The day after he graduated with a first in Mech Eng from Newcastle - second highest mark in the cohort, he started full time at that business as the IT manager and after eighteen months he won a graduate placement in Engineering at GSK the big pharma company. Now he works in AI. The next one up, works for Cap Gemini in business systems transition management for mega corporations. He did ten years as an independent contractor in supply chain management systems for the likes of Centrica, Rolls Royce and others of that ilk.

All three not privately educated silver spoon boys. What they did, they did themselves by sheer hard work and grit. It's a good recipe. I recommend it to the riff raff who think the best way forward is to rob people who made some money and give it out to people who made no effort.

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
How did we get the results we are seeing?

Just looking through the proportion of votes cast, it seems pretty clear that REFORM sucked up a lot of disgusted Tory voters who were tired of the inept failure to do what the government promised.

Here are the percentages:

Labour 33.7%
Conservative 23.7%
Reform 14.3%
Lib Dem 12.2%

If you add up the right of centre vote percentages (Con + Reform) the right of centre vote exceeded Labour's total significantly at 38% vs 33.7%.
Labour + Lib Dems + Greens 55%

Labour understood the deadly effectiveness of a proper vote distribution strategy. They knew what they were doing. They followed the plan. They got the result.

You are also making the understandable but fatal mistake of thinking that Reform voters would have voted Tory - that is not borne out by the facts - they are as likely to vote Labour (as has been pointed out ad infinitum by pollsters but nobody listens)

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Labour + Lib Dems + Greens 55%

Labour understood the deadly effectiveness of a proper vote distribution strategy. They knew what they were doing. They followed the plan. They got the result.
Can't argue with that Peter.