Prices of the electricity we use to charge

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That shows that the proportion of dependent people is decreasing every year, not an increasing aged population.
On the contrary.

From the government statistics:

There were 215,746 visas and permits granted for family reasons in the year ending June 2021, 40% more than the year ending June 2020. A sharp fall in grants was seen in April to June 2020 due to the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. However, the number of grants of visas and permits has begun to recover to pre-pandemic levels.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
In other news:

Last night, it was announced that Biden was giving condideration to withdrawing from the Presidential race.

This morning, he seems to have forgotten about that.

• :D
Reactions: AntonyC and Woosh

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
In a decade, machines are going to be capable of super intelligence. How are we going to find well paid jobs for everyone of us?
The revolution you refer to, is going to hit a very different sector of the workforce. My partner is a GP. I was talking to a couple of her colleagues at a 'do' last weekend and one of them was saying how big an impact AI, will soon have in diagnostics and other allied medical areas. AI is already better than the average radiologist at spotting early cancers. If you give a detailed case history to chat gpt, it will give a diagnosis of likely causes for your symptoms and recommend a test programme to aid further diagnosis.

AI, will decimate many levels of administration, legal work and other careers. Previous redundancies caused by AI and automation were in different sectors of employment.

The AI Reaper is coming to a new population.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
On the contrary.

That graph shows that the current granting of family visas is double the level it was in the pre 2018 period.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Number of demands grows as expected , Number of grants is reduced due to political intervention. The problem is even in world scale this country is rich, if the government doesn't force the rich to pay more taxes, we have to find more people who want to work so government can get their taxes.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
It's not just those 120,000 carers who can apply for visas for their relatives, all immigrants who have already settled here have the same rights.
Cheap fixes to the growth problem will cause exponential long term demand on public services. What we need to fix is to wean voters off the idea that they can have their cake and eating it.
In a decade, machines are going to be capable of super intelligence. How are we going to find well paid jobs for everyone of us?
"Japan introduces enormous humanoid robot to maintain train lines"

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
What it is showing is the population over 64 or under 15 as a % of the 15-64 population
On the contrary.
Can't you guys read graphs. It says at the top "% of working age population".
It shows that in 2011 52% of the population were working age. In 2022, that increased to 58%. The other way round, the dependent population decreased from 48% to 42%.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Number of demands grows as expected , Number of grants is reduced due to political intervention. The problem is even in world scale this country is rich, if the government doesn't force the rich to pay more taxes, we have to find more people who want to work so government can get their taxes.
The so called 'rich' already pay the lion's share of taxes. Ten percent of the population already pay 60% of personal tax. The city pays a vast part of corporation tax.

The problem is that too many people are extracting vast amounts of benefit money, and that fraud is rampant. The worst benefit fraudsters dont even live in this country. There is a whole industrial scale level of fraud operated from Romania.

If we want lavish benefits on tap, we all have to pay for it. Not just one segment of society.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Can't you guys read graphs. It says at the top "% of working age population".
It shows that in 2011 52% of the population were working age. In 2022, that increased to 58%. The other way round, the dependent population decreased from 48% to 42%.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
A big issue in the Uk since covid has been a mass exodus from work in the 50 to 65 year old population. Off the top of my head, it is several million.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Check this graph out comparing the uk's working age inactivity rate with other countries. Why the UK?

Attachments

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Check this graph out comparing the uk's working age inactivity rate with other countries. Why the UK?

View attachment 58574

Reactions: Ghost1951

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The UK because the benefit from working is wholly inadequate and survival without working is possible with little if any loss of living standards. I baled out of employment as I passed fifty and am now in my fourth decade of non-employment and might even enter a fifth decade.

My living standards today are the highest they've ever been, coupled with those retired decades being the happiest and most contented of any.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
That's not how graphs work. Whatever is in brackets is the scale, so each bar is the percentage of working age population. The title is misleading you.
here is the original https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/age-dependency-ratio-percent-of-working-age-population-wb-data.html

The percentage of dependents-(people younger than 15 or older than 64)-to the working-age population-(those aged 15-64) has risen from 52% in 2011 to 58% in 2022. Check out a different source if you don't believe me.