Prices of the electricity we use to charge

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Why this founder member of Greenpeace departed from the organisation, and the organisation scrubbed his name from its records

"I didn't leave Greenpeace. Greenpeace left me."

"None of them had any science education."

"They didn't understand toxicity."

"What we have now, is politicians sending money to researchers so that they can get back the answers that they want."

"Nuclear energy should not be lumped in with nuclear weapons. It is a beneficial use of nuclear technology like nuclear medicine. When I came out in favour of nuclear energy, they took my name off the list of founders of Greenpeace."

"The level of CO2 in the atmosphere and the planetary mean temperature is lower now than at most of the time over the last five hundred million years."

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: MikelBikel

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
"What we have now, is politicians sending money to researchers so that they can get back the answers that they want."

"Nuclear energy should not be lumped in with nuclear weapons. It is a beneficial use of nuclear technology like nuclear medicine. When I came out in favour of nuclear energy, they took my name off the list of founders of Greenpeace."

"The level of CO2 in the atmosphere and the planetary mean temperature is lower now than at most of the time over the last five hundred million years."
he's no better than those he criticises.
The first point is simply ridiculous. I bet you can't find many examples of government paying for answers they want.
The second point shows the shallowness of his argument. Nuclear power generation is expensive, especially if you add to the cost of building the cost of cleaning up the site afterward. SMRs, especially the TSMR variety, offer some hope of cost reduction but it won't be here for at least 10-20 more years. All the big nuclear power stations run into financial blackhole.
The third point is just plain uninformed. We have a very short term problem, for the next 50-100 years where we have practiacally no mean to deal with increasingly excessive temerature swings, heavy rainfall, increase in sea temperature, coral bleaching, over fishiing and simply poisoned oceans with plastic, oil and noise pollution. If we don't act fast, what will the world be like in 50-100 years from now?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ill put mine in the shed ;)

• :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

it still needs more power :p

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have no idea what that clip was about. Harris is increasing her lead in the last week. Trump is showing signs of decline. Will he last the next 3 weeks?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Interesting insight in how a dealer and owner sees EV's here:
You'll have to do better than that incoherent chump!

So the car market, new and second hand, has been ruined for dealers! Of course it has, that is much of the political point of this change to EVs. The days of near universal car ownership are ending with the change to EVs that are many times more expensive than the former IC cars, yet because EVs are so far beyond what the mass market can afford, they suffer ruinous depreciation.

The manufacturers don't care as much as he seems to think since their margins on EVs are so large. That's infinitely preferable to working very hard to produce vast numbers of small IC cars that have such minimal profit margins that General Motors even gave away their European business to PSA to get rid of it. Ford have admitted to considering doing similar. Many of the rest of the small car and minority car manufacturers have been banding together to survive, that is what Stellantis is all about

The big losers in all this at present are the dealerships with a diminishing market, new and second hand, so of course they are unhappy. The future big losers are the car owning public, all of it intentional.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You'll have to do better than that incoherent chump!

So the car market, new and second hand, has been ruined for dealers! Of course it has, that is much of the political point of this change to EVs. The days of near universal car ownership are ending with the change to EVs that are many times more expensive than the former IC cars, yet because EVs are so far beyond what the mass market can afford, they suffer ruinous depreciation.

The manufacturers don't care as much as he seems to think since their margins on EVs are so large. That's infinitely preferable to working very hard to produce vast numbers of small IC cars that have such minimal profit margins that General Motors even gave away their European business to PSA to get rid of it. Ford have admitted to considering doing similar. Many of the rest of the small car and minority car manufacturers have been banding together to survive, that is what Stellantis is all about

The big losers in all this at present are the dealerships with a diminishing market, new and second hand, so of course they are unhappy. The future big losers are the car owning public, all of it intentional.
He's a dealer of EVs and an owner of one. He's just expressing his frustration on how EVs are affecting the market and his business. As you probably know, I have a close assosiation with a fairly large local automobile business. They're saying the same as that guy. Ask any car dealer that speaks freely. They're all saying the same.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am holding out for sodium batteries before replacing my current petrol car.

Reactions: sjpt

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
He's a dealer of EVs and an owner of one. He's just expressing his frustration on how EVs are affecting the market and his business. As you probably know, I have a close assosiation with a fairly large local automobile business. They're saying the same as that guy. Ask any car dealer that speaks freely. They're all saying the same.
Of course they are, but as I've repeatedly said, this is intentional and it isn't going to change, The writing has been on the wall ever since 1972 and the Arab oil crisis, the political response to that making the car future clear even then. Although the phrase Micro Mobility was yet to be coined, the politicians were already pressuring the big car makers to come up with both sustainable and bicycle based mobility soloutions. GM and Chrysler responded then with e-bicycle solutions, the latter again in 1996 with the EV1, when Ford also joined in with the Think Car partnership and Tesla first bodged together the Tesla sports car. And Carlos Ghosn, boss of Nissan and Renault, committed €4 billions to EV research and production, leading to the Nissan Leaf and Renault Zoe.

All those protesting now, far too belatedly, simply haven't been paying attention for the last 50 plus years. I have, and have been seeing the inevitable for all of that time. Mass car ownership is coming to an end by political will and resistance truly is futile.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If all goes well we hope our current car (12 year old Roomster) will be our last.

Reactions: Woosh

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Difficult to imagine that this has not been foreseen. So the Logical* conclusion is that it is all intentional, n'est ce pas?
France is extending the life of its reactors to 40, 50yrs, and more to cope with demand.
Remember, you can continue to cook with a nuke! :)

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
LiFePo4......

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
All those protesting now, far too belatedly, simply haven't been paying attention for the last 50 plus years. I have, and have been seeing the inevitable for all of that time. Mass car ownership is coming to an end by political will and resistance truly is futile.

Stalin

Pol Pot

Kim

Ayatollas of various sorts.

What all of them have in common is the fact that they all take freedom from the people in pursuit of whatever particular world view goals they prize. It is the true meaning of the often misused term 'Fascism'., which is NOT just about Brown Shirt boot boys. Fascist systems take away people's freedom and individual liberty to pursue the perceived requirements of the state. Because this action would never receive ascent from the people, the leaders all use force to impose their will.

This is what you are advocating. It will NEVER EVER happen in a state where the people can throw out the politicians and choose people who offer policies that THEY want. The fascist left of course cry, 'Populism' when people emerge who offer the people what they want.

The removal of the right to drive your own car can only happen where the state uses violence to suppress dissent.

45% of UK households have access to one car, or van and 34% have access to more than one. Only 22% don't have access to a private motor vehicle.

How do you think your fascist plan is going to play out at elections?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is what you are advocating.
Once again, I am NOT advocating anything. I am just commenting on political intentions that I dislike as much as you, even more since my driving years go back further into lost freedoms than yours. If my time wasn't almost up I'd probably be as angry as you, but for me there is no point now since the future isn't mine.

But they are intentions that will happen. Just look at the huge extent of the freedoms that we have already lost over the last seventy plus years.

And how do you believe we'll protest at the ballot box when we have a first past the post system and almost all the contenders are following these same even tougher policies?

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
If only.. tempting. I still think that "etheric power" stuff sounds too good to be true though.
The grid should be almost self powering if all that's needed is insulated cables at height and trigger power?
Like an air alternator that needs battery juice for the field coils.
Add 12million volt insulation, infrastructure costs, and it's gonna be tricky! :)
(E.g. Radio transmitters have antenna towers and coils, etc. How do they cope with this "etheric" power?)