Prices of the electricity we use to charge

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Once again, I am NOT advocating anything. I am just commenting on political intentions that I dislike as much as you, even more since my driving years go back further into lost freedoms than yours. If my time wasn't almost up I'd probably be as angry as you, but for me there is no point now since the future isn't mine.

But they are intentions that will happen. Just look at the huge extent of the freedoms that we have already lost over the last seventy plus years.

And how do you believe we'll protest at the ballot box when we have a first past the post system and almost all the contenders are following these same even tougher policies?
First past the post actually protects us against extremism. The only reason Netanyahu is in power in Israel is that an extremist party with few seats has allied with him. Up until he invaded southern Lebanon, he was widely loathed there. Of course, the price of his power is that he has done what the minority settler party wanted. I needn't explain that. The same is true often where proportional representation works.

In the UK, it is very hard for an insurgent party to actually gain seats, and our main parties are in general pretty moderate. If as you propose, or suggest, any party came up with severely anti car policies, all that would need to happen for them to be destroyed at an election, is that the other major party oppose the anti-car policy. This is why it won't happen.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In the UK, it is very hard for an insurgent party to actually gain seats, and our main parties are in general pretty moderate. If as you propose, or suggest, any party came up with severely anti car policies, all that would need to happen for them to be destroyed at an election, is that the other major party oppose the anti-car policy. This is why it won't happen.
You seem to be thinking in now terms but this is not about now. This is about changes that are intended for the next 40 or so years. First the cut off of i.c. car sales in 10 years time, but of course those i.c. cars will last at least 23 years from new on present experience, so the effect will not be fully experienced for some 40 years, by which time it will be too late to protest and you won't be around to anyway.

Norway is a strongly democratic country, just look at how they opposed the politicians in refusing to ever join the EU. But the switch to only EV cars is next year and the public have already completely bought into that policy:

In 2023, about 90% of cars sold in Norway were electric, including battery-electric vehicles (BEV) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV). This is a significant increase from 2019, when the EV sales share was 53.4%. In July 2024, BEVs made up 91.9% of all newly registered vehicles in Norway.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
You seem to be thinking in now terms but this is not about now. This is about changes that are intended for the next 40 or so years. First the cut off of i.c. car sales in 10 years time, but of course those i.c. cars will last at least 23 years from new on present experience, so the effect will not be fully experienced for some 40 years, by which time it will be too late to protest and you won't be around to anyway.

Norway is a strongly democratic country, just look at how they opposed the politicians in refusing to ever join the EU. But the switch to only EV cars is next year and the public have already completely bought into that policy:

In 2023, about 90% of cars sold in Norway were electric, including battery-electric vehicles (BEV) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV). This is a significant increase from 2019, when the EV sales share was 53.4%. In July 2024, BEVs made up 91.9% of all newly registered vehicles in Norway.
The post I responded to made the assertion that private use and ownership of motor cars would soon end and that there was no point in protesting about it.

Mass car ownership is coming to an end by political will and resistance truly is futile.
I have no problem with a gradual change in the technology which powers motor cars AS LONG AS the supporting technology is there, which it isn't right now for many people. I think it is true that about forty percent of families and individuals have no off street parking and the public charging infrastructure is chaotic, unavailable and incompatible for some. All of that could be sorted out if we had government with the intent to make it happen. Lots of large motorway charging infrastructure has insufficient electric supply held up by planning bottlenecks. Ridiculously, companies trying to build these are told there will be no power for ten years.

One of the most damaging laws ever passed here was the 1947 Town and Country Planning Act. It holds up huge amounts of important development and allows NIMBIES far too much power to halt development of vital infrastructure. The other thing that needs to end is judicial review of government policy. If the people vote for a government, that government needs to be able to pass laws and make them effective. Review by judges, especially foreign ones is anti-democratic and renders government impotent. It may appear superficially to be on the side of democracy, but in effect, it puts far too much power into the hands of unrepresentative groups who are empowered to halt progress.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
im selling my ac unit and getting a petrol generator :p

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The only reason Netanyahu is in power in Israel is that an extremist party with few seats has allied with him. Up until he invaded southern Lebanon, he was widely loathed there. Of course, the price of his power is that he has done what the minority settler party wanted. I needn't explain that. The same is true often where proportional representation works.
there is little more that Netanyahu can do now.
Biden has threatened him with withdrawing some military support. He has to retreat.
Neither Harris nor Trump wants war in the middle East.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it still needs more power :p
There was a recent court case. The defendant had a patent to make electricity out of electron spin.
Yes, he's got a patent for it. That says a lot about the US patent system.
The plaintiff spent about $5 millions buying one of the defendant's kit. Instead of generating power, his electricity bill actually went up.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have proven as fact you dont have to pay for electric if you are on a PRIORITY list as disabled ect.

or use the company on telegram to fit there meter 300 quid and no bill cos the smart meter is at bottom of garden :p

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The post I responded to made the assertion that private use and ownership of motor cars would soon end and that there was no point in protesting about it.
Nowhere in any of my posts on this subject have I ever said "soon end", that is pure fabrication. Indeed I've often stressed the delay periods.

But if the public didn't like the planned changes, and most don't, long ago was the time to protest and make it an electoral issue. Now and complacently leaving it to few disgruntled car dealers is already too late .

We saw Rishi Sunak try to to get an electoral advantage by portraying himself as the motorists friend, including by reversing the bringing forward of the changover to EVs. But the public just yawned and voted Labour anyway. That is the sort of complacency that will see the change to EVs happen anyway, regardless of the policies failings.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
there is little more that Netanyahu can do now.
Biden has threatened him with withdrawing some military support. He has to retreat.
Neither Harris nor Trump wants war in the middle East.
I think that Netanyahu will take more notice of the spectacular opportunity given him by having destroyed Hezbollah, and had Iran launch 200 missiles into Israel . It gives him a golden opportunity. I predict that he will continue to pound Hezbollah and that he will be very likely to destroy Iran's nuclear weapons facilities. There will never be a better time. Iran has depended on Hezbollah as its instrument of wielding influence against Israel, now it is useless, so the motivation for Iran to go for broke on making nuclear weapons will be very high. THAT is why I will be very surprised if one morning we don't wake up to find that the nuclear facilities are in ruins and the top echelon of the Revolutionary Guard has been wiped out. Iran has been a malign influence right across the region. Even powers which are no fan of Israel in the region will be glad to see the regime in Tehran taken down. So would a large number of Iranians.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Nowhere in any of my posts on this subject have I ever said "soon end", that is pure fabrication. Indeed I've often stressed the delay periods.

But if the public didn't like the planned changes, and most don't, long ago was the time to protest and make it an electoral issue. Now and complacently leaving it to few disgruntled car dealers is already too late .

We saw Rishi Sunak try to to get an electoral advantage by portraying himself as the motorists friend, including by reversing the bringing forward of the changover to EVs. But the public just yawned and voted Labour anyway. That is the sort of complacency that will see the change to EVs happen anyway, regardless of the policies failings.
The public voted Labour because the previous government had shown at least three years of impotent incompetence.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't think
I think that Netanyahu will take more notice of the spectacular opportunity given him by having destroyed Hezbollah, and had Iran launch 200 missiles into Israel . It gives him a golden opportunity. I predict that he will continue to pound Hezbollah and that he will be very likely to destroy Iran's nuclear weapons facilities. There will never be a better time. Iran has depended on Hezbollah as its instrument of wielding influence against Israel, now it is useless, so the motivation for Iran to go for broke on making nuclear weapons will be very high. THAT is why I will be very surprised if one morning we don't wake up to find that the nuclear facilities are in ruins and the top echelon of the Revolutionary Guard has been wiped out. Iran has been a malign influence right across the region. Even powers which are no fan of Israel in the region will be glad to see the regime in Tehran taken down. So would a large number of Iranians.
Netanyahu has wiped out a few thousands but won't be able to go any further. Those who died can also very quickly be replaced. Iran has sea and air defences, a vast territory and industrial muscle. Nothing like gaza or Lebanon.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I don't think

Netanyahu has wiped out a few thousands but won't be able to go any further. Those who died can also very quickly be replaced. Iran has sea and air defences, a vast territory and industrial muscle. Nothing like gaza or Lebanon.
The strategies used so far have wiped out the entire upper echelon of the Hezbollah command structure. I heard Frank Gardener talking on the World Service this afternoon as I was driving to see my grand children and he said the entire command structure above captain / major, has been wiped out. Think about it. Four thousand pagers in the hands and pockets of more senior ranks blew up and maimed them. Then the leadership and those likely to replace them were bombed one after another. The only people they have left are the lowest officer class and the rank and file. Their fighting effectiveness is wrecked, and t won't quickly be rebuilt. I am VERY glad, even though I despise Netanyahu and the extremist wing of his government, but anything which destroys Iran's ability to bring its malign creed into other countries around the region and beyond is VERY good news in my opinion.

Listen here - top quality stuff https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/the-global-story/id1715473158

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Then the leadership and those likely to replace them were bombed one after another. The only people they have left are the lowest officer class and the rank and file. Their fighting effectiveness is wrecked, and t won't quickly be rebuilt.
it's really a minor aspect of any war. Soldiers and politicians have that in common. Just look at Labour's leadership. Do you think losing their leaders in Miliband and Corbyn was bad for Labour? It won't take more than 2-5 years to replace a few thousands out of millions of newly hurt people. On the long term, Netanyahu's policy won't work for Israel and he can't hold on to power for long anyway.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
it's really a minor aspect of any war. Soldiers and politicians have that in common. Just look at Labour's leadership. Do you think losing their leaders in Miliband and Corbyn was bad for Labour? It won't take more than 2-5 years to replace a few thousands out of millions of newly hurt people. On the long term, Netanyahu's policy won't work for Israel and he can't hold on to power for long anyway.
Netanyahu will be gone as soon as there is an election. HE is not the point.

Meanwhile in the news.....

Yahya Sinwar, Hamas leader killed yesterday.

Judging by the size of the hole in his head - he never knew what happened. You just have to wonder how it is that they know exactly where these people are. One after another, time and again, the top leadership is eliminated. They know where they are, when they will be vulnerable, and they zap them with surprising precision. They either have tens of thousands of dedicated agents in Hamas, Hezbollah and the Iranian regime, or they have some almost magical form of tagging them. I suspect it is the former, since I don't believe in magic.

By the way - I can not even imagine why you think the toppling of MiliBrain and that idiot Corbyn, has ANY relevance to this war. That was the normal turnover of leadership within the rules of an organisation. The sudden and violent removal of several layers of a military command structure is utterly devastating to its functionality. Yes the grunts on the ground can fire their AK47s, they can let off some rockets, but the logistics, the planning, the collection, synthesis and use of intelligence, is impossible without that capability. All they can do now is carry out sporadic uncoordinated skirmishes and they will be wiped out by the tens of thousands.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The sudden and violent removal of several layers of a military command structure is utterly devastating to its functionality.
since when in recent history killing the top general of one army ends a war?
For Israel, it's revenge but for Iran, it is not big enough a loss to change the war or anything big enough to send another bunch of missiles.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
since when in recent history killing the top general of one army ends a war?
For Israel, it's revenge but for Iran, it is not big enough a loss to change the war or anything big enough to send another bunch of missiles.
I don't know if you are playing a game here, but that's ridiculous. The ENTIRE leadership of Hamas and Hezbollah have been eliminated. Four thousand senior ranks in the Hezbollah were maimed beyond service in two attacks over two days when their personal communicators blew up in their face, or blew off their boll ocks.

You must be joking - you can NOT be serious. Their organisations are in total ruins. I will be surprised if something of the same sort doesn't happen in Iran in the coming days.

By the way - Iran will do VERY VERY badly against Israel. Their airforce was all bought by the Shah before 1979. Whereas Israel has the most modern stuff available and in shed loads. There are a lot of things about Israel's position under the most recent governments which I don't agree with and don't like, but there is no way they could or should put up with the provocations and outrages that Iran has conspired to create. Neither Hamas or Hezbollah would exist but for Iran's poisonous meddling. Same with the Houthis in Yemen. Iran needs to have its regime smashed and let those people have government elected by the people rather than a so called 'Supreme Leader', whose mind is set in the sixth century.

We already know that most of the people in Iran hate their government. They were rioting until the regime started killing them and hanged a load of them from cranes for 'Crimes against God'.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
The Great Reset is coming!! You lot thought it was a conspiracy theory.
i told the ppl in the jcp 10 years ago if they keep going on like this it will mean none of you will have a job and just said yeah right.

90% of it has been sold to turn in to flats, the dwp lease ends in 2028 :p

just make a uc claim online its easy because it will be tied to you for the rest of ur life with a ai sanction bot.

and my bank has limited the amount of cash i can pay in to 20k per year because they want rid of it and have to pay a fkn solicitor 2k just to put in the right to buy is fkn extortion!:mad:

i cant just go to the bank with a bin bag ask for 60k cash fill it up and take it down the council and empty it on the reception desk:rolleyes:

prob take them twats 6 months to count it :eek:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
That's complete ball cocks. It looks like misdirection to me. The Great Reset and their infamous poster " You'll own nothing and be happy" waere around long before covid.

Here's the BBC talking about it in 2011. Don't forget that the BBC will try to make it sound sort of warm and cosy rather than the sinister thing it actually is. When guys like me painted a picture of 2024 back then, you'd have all called me nuts, just like you do now, and it's only just getting started.
[URL