Prices of the electricity we use to charge

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"“Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.”
Writer and philosopher George Santayana

Trump and Project 2025 are attacking the Department of Education. How might they reshape US schools?

The ex-president wants to abolish the department completely, and a rightwing manifesto shows how he could do it

Fall of the Western Roman Empire

The Holocaust

Last edited:

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Riots in the UK: online propagandists know how to work their audiences – this is what we are missing

"The modern propagandist creates what political scientist Benedict Anderson described as “imagined communities”. He argued that states and nations (and mass media) are founded by successfully creating a community with its own foundation myths, symbols and history. This chimes with the work of propagandist theorist Jacques Ellul, who argued that myths were central and necessary to successful propaganda.

Some symbols are well known and largely shared among us all – spitfires, the British bobby, royalty. But others, like the “cockroach” immigrant, the loss of national agency, and the language of conspiracy theories, are foundational to a community that speaks only to itself. Worse still, those who don’t share their beliefs are naive and need to “do their own research”. "

Reactions: Woosh and flecc

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I can't believe this a conspiracy, but there are loads of (mostly blue tick) accounts on Twitter (quite often the racists that were banned and Musk reinstated) that have posted tweets that clearly meet the legal threshold for inciting racial hatred (amongst other offences). The police are going to come knocking on Elon's door and harvest all the details. I suspect the prison sentences will be at the upper end of the 7 years allowed. It's like a giant honey trap

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

• Informative
Reactions: MikelBikel

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I can't believe this a conspiracy, but there are loads of (mostly blue tick) accounts on Twitter (quite often the racists that were banned and Musk reinstated) that have posted tweets that clearly meet the legal threshold for inciting racial hatred (amongst other offences). The police are going to come knocking on Elon's door and harvest all the details. I suspect the prison sentences will be at the upper end of the 7 years allowed. It's like a giant honey trap
You've been overdosing on Guardian again. Try weaning yourself off it bit by bit by choosing reading material that's just far left, not extreme far left - something like The Light. They claim that they tell the truth too.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Reactions: Woosh

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Try weaning yourself off it bit by bit by choosing reading material that's just far left, not extreme far left - something like The Light. They claim that they tell the truth too.
I listened to the Marianna Spring podcast about it, very interesting !

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

• Informative

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
‘Welcome to the end.’: Stock market sell-off sparks fears of societal collapse among conspiratorial far-right
The apocalypse is (probably not) nigh.

"And while prominent financial analysts argue that the market panic “appears disproportionate,” conservatives are seemingly convinced that the slide signals the beginning of the end."

"Over on the conspiratorial Gateway Pundit blog, commenters are reacting to the news by suggesting that World War III is about to be intentionally started by Western leaders to usher in a totalitarian world government.

“The beginning of the end is here,” one user wrote. “Don’t panic, prepare for the end. Find Christ in your lives now.”"

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
What's with all the riot justification stuff?
What riot justification stuff?

Where?

Did you mean this?

Just to be completely clear -

I Have NEVER supported or been an apologist for thuggery and violence. I reject it.

What I have done is point out that while the political class is howling about the danger of a loss of social cohesion they have from all parties allowed large numbers of people from other societies to arrive here, largely uncontrolled, for decades. Millions of people have been imported without asking the populations affected by their arrival about the problems they experience in housing, wages, work availability. It is the POLITICIANS of all parties and the political and media class who have destroyed social cohesion in working class areas.

There is no motive towards social cohesion when you can't afford accommodation, can't get a job with decent pay and conditions, can't get your kids into the local primary school, and can't get to see a doctor because hundreds of people have arrived in your community.

There is no social cohesion where you have huge ghettos in our northern towns filled with people who do not share the same values as the native population.

Many of the people who live in these ghettos systematically reject normal British values like equality between the sexes, and freedom of expression. The right for homosexual people to live in peace. Teachers have been put in fear of their lives after certain topics were covered in classrooms.

I have pointed out that one of the hitherto most progressive, peaceful and open societies in Europe, took in very large numbers of migrants from the Middle East and has in a very few years, been transformed into a dangerous society with its capital, Stockholm, now seeing twenty times the gun violence rate of London. Sweden has seen a very large increase in organised crime, run and carried out by people from the ethnicities it has absorbed. This crime is not Swedish crime. It is Kurdish, Albanian and Balkans crime.
Remember what started these disgusting scenes of thuggery and violence - the son of Rwandan migrants went on a slaughter-fest at a children's dance class and murdered three little girls and wounded about another ten people. I mean - some might say it wasn't predictable at all was it that such a thing might happen.

www.bbc.co.uk

Rwanda genocide: 100 days of slaughter
In just 100 days in 1994, some 800,000 people were slaughtered in Rwanda by ethnic Hutu extremists - how did the genocide happen?
www.bbc.co.uk

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

act of war that is :mad:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Today’s financial panic looks like the stock crash in 1987—when the economy avoided a recession, market veteran says

“This is very reminiscent, so far, of 1987,” Yardeni said on Bloomberg Television’s Bloomberg Surveillance. “We had a crash in the stock market — that basically all occurred in one day — and the implication was that we were in, or about to fall into, recession. And that didn’t happen at all. It had really more to do with the internals of the market.”

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Warren Buffett's Selling Over $3.8 Billion Worth of Bank of America Stock in 2 Weeks Is an Ominous and Unmistakable Warning for Wall Street

The Oracle of Omaha has sold shares of Bank of America stock for 12 consecutive sessions, and it likely speaks to a bigger problem on Wall Street.

Berkshire Hathaway sells off large share of Apple and increases cash holdings

Warren Buffett’s firm increased its cash reserves to $227bn, sparking concerns about company’s view of US economy

Reactions: Woosh