nut size

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Another mistake is forgetting to take out the crank bolt before using the tool.
(I've made both those mistakes in my time.)
Even if you damage the thread of the tool rendering it mostly useless, part of that tool is useful to keep for bashing the BB axle against: make a hole in a plank of wood the same size as the widest end of the tool, bash it into the hole and stand it vertically on the floor, situate the BB axle on the thinner end, and hammer the (horizontal) bike frame until the stuck/bonded by corrosion BB comes out - "Hammer against a butt", was great tip from my zillion year old local bike shop Yoda. Took ages to hammer the sucker out of my Dahon Helios to install the BBS01B. Avoid hammering too hard, and hammer around and as close as possible to the stuck BB. Mallet would have been safer, but I didn't have one. Safer overall to take it to a bike shop - mine was too busy during the start of the pandemic, couldn't do it because neglected bikes suddenly being put back into service and needing repairs was legion, hence the advice conveyed by telephone.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
No the bike will be upside down when i do it. so what you saying then when unscrewing the BB nuts. both bb nuts are anticlockwise as my front wheel will be to my right when i do non chain side. and the chain side front wheel will be to my left. or have i got that completely wrong.
Just imagine that your bike is the normal way up and you have your spanner or tube pointing upwards. You have to push it to the front of the bike on each side. Obviously, if you have your bike inverted and the spanner pointing towards the sky, you have to push it to the back of the bike.

I find it easiest to have the bike the normal way up and the spanner/tube pointing forward, then I stand on the spanner while holding the bike by the handlebars with the brakes on to keep it still.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Just imagine that your bike is the normal way up and you have your spanner or tube pointing upwards. You have to push it to the front of the bike on each side. Obviously, if you have your bike inverted and the spanner pointing towards the sky, you have to push it to the back of the bike.

I find it easiest to have the bike the normal way up and the spanner/tube pointing forward, then I stand on the spanner while holding the bike by the handlebars with the brakes on to keep it still.
so if I did bike upside down, non chain side will be anti-clockwise and chain side clockwise