MAN's or GIRLY bike?

C

Cyclezee

Are you a macho male who will only ride a 'proper' MAN's bike with a crossbar to bash your manhood on:eek:
Or are you a cardigan wearing stepthru riding Girly (that is you if are not a real Girly to start with) who can't get your leg over:eek:

Personally, I am BI SYCLE, (get it? BI SYCLE, oh never mind):rolleyes:

John

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Personally, I am BI SYCLE,

John[/QUOTE]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- whatever floats yer boat john...:rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
All riders of folders like Dahons, Bromptons and Quandos ride on a step-through, and that includes me. No gender nonsense with those.

I think only a step-through is a true utility bike.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Traffic light grand prix - leisure cyclists please ignore!

In the cut and thrust of London traffic there comes a point when you reach the front of the traffic lights and confronted with several bicycles. Do you push to the front regardless of who is there or make an assessment of who will get away first It might be a lyra racer and you might tuck behind that, rather than get in the way (bear with me on this one I will get to the point). Now you are confronted with a man or woman on a step through - do you think they will get away faster or slower than you?

For me I would try and position myself so I wasn't behind the step through. I certainly don't want anybody thinking that I won't be quick off the lights so for this reason and that, for me, the diamond frame looks better (my heart says pro-connect my brain says agattu), I am going for the MAN'S bike.

Last edited:

John Fleet

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2007
Whitley Bay
sadly for me the advancing years and the lingering effects of childhood Perthes disease mean that I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get my leg over so it's the girly step thru for me!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
for this reason and that, for me, the diamond frame looks better (my heart says pro-connect my brain says agattu), I am going for the MAN'S bike.
I think for commuting a diamond frame makes perfect sense anyway, just once on and once off in a journey, so the potentially lighter diamond structure is suitable.

It's in typical utility use the step-through wins, the shopping trip stopping at several locations, carrying a child or luggage on the carrier, hopping off and on to cross pavement sections, and use by other family members. A diamond frame can be a nuisance for some of those uses.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
I would always ride a bike I felt comfy with and I didnt feel that comfy on the agattu step through when I test rode it.
Really it was the handlebars more than any other thing that put me off the Agattu, not the stepthrough.
If im gonna spend over £1000 on a bike it has to be what I want.
If a Agattu was going much cheaper (less than £1000) I would still buy one though.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Apart from the fact it is more efficient and that I prefer it, there are two practical reasons I have for prefering a diamond frame.

I find it a lot more convenient when I have frequent stops, eg at traffic lights, as you can balance the bike easily against your leg and don't need to keep hold of the handlebars. A step-through is more likely to fall over if you loosen your grip while resting.

Also a diamond frame offers better locking options!

Frank

C

Cyclezee

Frank,
very good point about resting the crossbar between your legs when stationary and being able to keep your hands free of the handlebars. it was something I never really thought about when I bought my stepthru Agattu.
I also find that I still swing my leg over the back of the bike rather than stepthru, but no doubt there will come a day when I can't do this, that will be the day when I will be glad to have a stepthru frame.

John

S

stokepa31

I like the step through as it stops my skirt riding up;)

edit: but ive ordered a pro connect cos i'm an exibitionist!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I find it a lot more convenient when I have frequent stops, eg at traffic lights, as you can balance the bike easily against your leg and don't need to keep hold of the handlebars. A step-through is more likely to fall over if you loosen your grip while resting.

Frank
True, I know what you mean with the single tube folder if I'm off the saddle, but I usually stay sat on it so it isn't a problem.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I would always ride a bike I felt comfy with and I didnt feel that comfy on the agattu step through when I test rode it.
Really it was the handlebars more than any other thing that put me off the Agattu, not the stepthrough.
If im gonna spend over £1000 on a bike it has to be what I want.
If a Agattu was going much cheaper (less than £1000) I would still buy one though.

Agreed about the handlebars but these can easily be changed (as they will be on mine when I get it).

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
For me a step through is ok so long as it does not look like a womens bike,folders and other bikes can look unisex,but full size bikes with a u frame can look more girly,my first ebike was a sakura s300 although it was good fun to ride,i felt uneasy riding it and the bike was hardly used because of this, if the same model was available with a gents frame i would buy one.

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
All three of my electric bikes are step-through for utilitarian purposes. Getting my little legs over a rear basket would bring tears to the eyes. I think it is what is known as 'splitting ones differentials'.;)

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
I write as one who sold my Smart Cabrio car because it had been voted 'Gay Car of the Year' for two years on the run :eek: You need to feel comfortable with your machine, bike or car, and for that reason I'd go for a crossbar model. Sad maybe, illogical certainly, but hey, I'm human.

halfmedley

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2007
Personally, I don't have a problem riding either frame types, though step-thrus win on convenience. Riding one certainly doesn't affect my self-image. But I do think it behoves any gentleman not to wear lycra...

shakkan

Just Joined
Mar 25, 2008
oh no, its got to be a geezer bike looking thing.there`s 3 schools next to me and the kids would have a feild day. i used my friends powabike shopper,and got heckeled more than a bad commedian.ive painted my ebike black hammerite to give it that extra hard man look.im thinking of taping a kawasaki 1100 and playing it on a loop to give ,mean sound effects.the shopper was realy great for shopping though!

Larkspur

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2008
S.W. Herts
There are lots of different points you could make about practicality: I personally think that drop handlebars are practical because of the more aerodynamic position; also clipless pedals (or indeed pedal clips) are meant to increase your pedaling efficiency by 50%. But none of these e-bikes seem to include those. Although I admit that most road bikes don't come with any pedals - on the assumption that you will fit your own choice of clipless ones.

Also - when I'm riding to work at 6:30am in the winter - I will be wearing proper purpose specific winter cycle gear - because it's warm, comfortable and wetaher proof. Yes, even Lycra, if it fits the bill.

But practicalities aside - I do want a bike that looks good as well as being practical. £1200+ is a lot to pay for something that makes you look like Sergeant Wilson riding to work at the bank in Dad's Army. (not that I mean the Agattu of course:D )

S

stokepa31

Personally, I don't have a problem riding either frame types, though step-thrus win on convenience. Riding one certainly doesn't affect my self-image. But I do think it behoves any gentleman not to wear lycra...
I've just got some lycra tracksters from Aldi (thursday special) £5.99 and really good quality. should set the pro-connect off a treat.

they are also doing some nice jackets too. ideal for cycling

Paul

TomB

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
lowering the bar...

All riders of folders like Dahons, Bromptons and Quandos ride on a step-through, and that includes me. No gender nonsense with those.

I think only a step-through is a true utility bike.
i agree, but dahon also seem to have gone one lower than a step-through: with a step-over:D