MAN's or GIRLY bike?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
i agree, but dahon also seem to have gone one lower than a step-through: with a step-over:D

True Tom, but that's just Dahon getting in with a gimmick again, imitating BikeTech this time.

Anyone so unfit that they can only lift their leg that much isn't going to be able to pedal it anyway. :D

In addition, they couldn't have a foot, as only a stump could get through that gap. :(

alex

Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2007
Edinburgh
Do I have a ladies' bike?

When I bought my electric Carrera from Halfords in October it did not occur to me that it was a ladies' bike. True it is quite a small frame (17") but I thought the sloping top tube accounted for that & what I have is a fairly standard mountain bike style frame. I submitted a review to this forum which eventually appeared in the owner's review section under the headline "Halford's Ladies' Bike". I would class it as more a unisex bike & I certainly do not feel "unmanned" riding it

Joe

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2008
hi alex, the local halfords recently started to stock the electric carrera.
In my opinion its a neat looking bike, better than the impression given by the halfords online photo. I see it can take mudguards and a rack too.
Hows your range these days?
Joe

C

Cyclezee

I would regard my Dahon as having a funky hardcore frame:cool:

Try stepping through this one:eek:

John;)

C

Cyclezee

That's cheating with springy things though. :p
'Springy things', springy things?????? Kinetix Q fork parallelogram front suspension and a Suspa rear shock If you don't mind:p
Definitely not for girls, they are for the mature sophisticated macho male:rolleyes:
And another thing, my wave frame Agattu is also more masculine after today, broken mudguard and no skirt guard:cool:

John

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yup, that's the ones ok. Springy things. :D

Oh all right, macho springy things. :p

TomB

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
leg over?

nice wheels Aldby.

because of the low 20" wheels i guess you, erm, mostly mount from behind the saddle by bending your leg and swinging your knee over the rear wheel? ;)

TomB

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
When I bought my electric Carrera from Halfords in October it did not occur to me that it was a ladies' bike. True it is quite a small frame (17") but I thought the sloping top tube accounted for that & what I have is a fairly standard mountain bike style frame. I submitted a review to this forum which eventually appeared in the owner's review section under the headline "Halford's Ladies' Bike". I would class it as more a unisex bike & I certainly do not feel "unmanned" riding it
Carrera Sparc Electric Bike from Halfords Was £749.99 Save £100.00 Price £649.99

don't think it's a ladies bike alex, i think whoever listed it from halfords just assumed that only ladies needed electric motors, probably because of general ignorance around assisted cycling. the top tube geometry is more for giving a higher handle bar position and therefore a more town-bike traffic-aware upright position than it is for accommodating a large bustle:rolleyes:

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
I'm convinced that mounting my Torq, which has a wheel diameter equal to my inside leg measurement, helps keep me in shape. As a youngster I never had a problem mounting the then standard 27" wheeled bikes but when I returned to cycling many years later I found that getting my leg over a 26" wheel was a challenge that resulted in a much kicked rear mudguard. In time I became able to mount without kicking anything until I changed to the Torq with 28" wheels and a rack, this becoming a target for my right foot. In time I got used to that and then added a rack bag, and the training started again.

These days I have little trouble clearing the bag, who's top is 1 metre above the ground, with my short 28" leg, something I wouldn't have believed possible not so long ago. I'm not sure that that degree of suppleness has any other use but it's good to know I can do it.

I have an old cycling film made in 1955 in which one gentleman is seen to dismount by simply raising his right leg very high and swinging it over the handlebars in one fluid movement while remaining facing forward, this on a full size bike! It certainly has style but I've never seen it done elsewhere and it would certainly be impossible for me, even dangerous.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've seen this style referred to as ladies before. Since the top tube is brought back to a point below the rear a frame junction with a small brace, I think they are intended to provide a chance of step over, rather than leg over, so a bit more suited to women than a full height crossbar, so I think Unisex is a much better description than Ladies. There's a similar compromise via a cranked top tube on the eZee Liv.

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Are you a macho male who will only ride a 'proper' MAN's bike with a crossbar to bash your manhood on.
Or are you a cardigan wearing stepthru riding Girly (that is you if are not a real Girly to start with) who can't get your leg over

Personally, I am BI SYCLE, (get it? BI SYCLE, oh never mind):rolleyes:

John
Hi John

I am a girly girl but I do like to ride my SE with crossbar and yes I guess I chose this bike for it's asphetically pleasing looks and speed :D
I did have difficulty getting my leg over it in the beginning as I do have a big canvas bag on the rack and couldn't swing that way :eek:
However, I have managed to alight the bike in a sort of graceful manner by tilting the bike towards me probably a third of the way to the ground as it is so light. I bend my right knee and slip my leg over knee first in a not too clumsy fashion?
However, pencil skirts and indeed all skirts are out when riding this bike :D
This way of mounting a high cross bar bike might suit the guys also?
Mandy

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
I would regard my Dahon as having a funky hardcore frame.

Try stepping through this one

John;)
Now I like that one and am after a folder to join my stable :D
Most definitely neither step through or typical cross bar.
I want ONE :cool:
Mandy

alex

Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2007
Edinburgh
Hi Joe.
I am very pleased with my Carrera, range is generally 14 miles on speed setting with light pedalling in hilly terrain. Economy setting & greater effort on my part would no doubt improve this but I find the range adequate for riding around Edinburgh & I have a second battery for those extra evening rides. I have sent you a peronal message.

PaulC

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2007
Hi,
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the thief equation when comparing the two styles of bike:
Man's electric bike = Thief magnet
Girly electric bike = Not a thief magnet

My personal preference is for the step-through electric bike but that is because I do 80% utility cycling so lots of stops and starts are easier with this style.
Paul

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Didn't the Dahon Ciao win Dutch Bike of the Year 2006, the first folder to do so?
I can't help with their bad taste of course. :D

Joking apart, it doesn't alter my criticism of the ultra low step though being a gimmick. A shoe clad foot length can't get between the chainring and down tube, so that extra space is the gimmick, only useful for an amputee or a contortionist. The down tube could have run in the normal straight line to just above the chainwheel, making it stronger and no less useful, something those Dutch judges clearly didn't appreciate. Perhaps they aren't cyclists. :rolleyes: